Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

21 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I'll take a stab:  poverty, drug abuse, poor education systems, corruption, less and worse health care (especially rural), vaccine hesitancy, obesity (poor food choices), smoking, rejection or misunderstanding of science, lax or nonexistent environmental laws, desperation.  btw, most of western NC and western Va are red and pink except progressive (and more affluent) areas like Asheville.

And it's hot and not the dry hot.

29 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Rural poverty is extraordinarily difficult to solve. There's an excellent book I read on this called "Hollowing Out the Middle" by Patrick Carr that tries to address certain issues. A key problem is that rural schools are stratified; the smartest kids are given special benefits to go off to college and jobs in other towns, leaving those towns with low-skill people that can only succeed in increasingly sparce industrial jobs. 

That and the belief that is quite prevalent that you "don't live above your raising", beautifully illustrated by Hilary Swank's family in Million Dollar Baby.  there exists a culture that is toxic and self defeating in far too many and it is intergenerational.  The drive to do better is often replaced with resentment and hate

Edited by redtail hawk

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Rural poverty is extraordinarily difficult to solve. There's an excellent book I read on this called "Hollowing Out the Middle" by Patrick Carr that tries to address certain issues. A key problem is that rural schools are stratified; the smartest kids are given special benefits to go off to college and jobs in other towns, leaving those towns with low-skill people that can only succeed in increasingly sparce industrial jobs. 

good point and exactly what happens with the lowest income parts of most cities as well.  as far as the special benefits and the opportunities for college, that result in one leaving said area. and area stays devoid of investment/education and what not.  And the socio-economic cycle continues.  Rural saw it with people leaving farming first, and like you said. Now just low end manufacturing.

honest question. How do you think Bidens/Hockels Chips investments in manufacturing outside cities will impact this?  they say many of those jobs will pay very good. 

And the picture shows it more in the flood zones of the Mississippi/Ohio river delta/ Appalachia than the south.

Doubt the reason is binary.

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

good point and exactly what happens with the lowest income parts of most cities as well.  as far as the special benefits and the opportunities for college, that result in one leaving said area. and area stays devoid of investment/education and what not.  And the socio-economic cycle continues.  Rural saw it with people leaving farming first, and like you said. Now just low end manufacturing.

honest question. How do you think Bidens/Hockels Chips investments in manufacturing outside cities will impact this?  they say many of those jobs will pay very good. 

And the picture shows it more in the flood zones of the Mississippi/Ohio river delta/ Appalachia than the south.

Doubt the reason is binary.

The chips jobs are going to pay very well, but I’m not sure how it will work without providing specialized training. I’m certain that the people used to the industrial jobs can handle it, but it will be a big change. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

The chips jobs are going to pay very well, but I’m not sure how it will work without providing specialized training. I’m certain that the people used to the industrial jobs can handle it, but it will be a big change. 

looks like the ones in NY will all be Burbs of big cities.  guessing it will be similar in other states for logistical reasons.

So, it kind of helps both. possibly.  hopefully 

Doubt any are going up in small town Appalachia.  or old highway town ark. though

Edited by Chris farley

9 hours ago, Roundybout said:

More fine GOP policies at work.

You realize that the lowest states are the most black states right? It sounds like you are questioning the decisions that black people make about there lives and telling them they should be more like the white people. I will be interested in how these numbers change over the next 40 years. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

You realize that the lowest states are the most black states right? It sounds like you are questioning the decisions that black people make about there lives and telling them they should be more like the white people. I will be interested in how these numbers change over the next 40 years. 

Nope.  this is largely myth.  Plenty of poor whites too (but blacks generally poorer).  Conversely, more wealthy whites than blacks but that's not who we're talking about.  They likely have life expectancies similar to the national average.  Lots to digest here (for Mississippi):

D8FA041F-4C42-4798-87D2-D8F2F1990661.jpeg

Edited by redtail hawk

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/black-population-by-state  much information here but what strikes me is that most poor southern states are 20-30% black. so "questioning the decisions that black people make about there lives and telling them they should be more like the white people" would be extremely misinformed, misleading and disingenuous....

from wiki:  "In the framework of American federalism, states, in general, have wide latitude to enact policies within their borders, including state taxation and labor laws. Among the factors that may increase the inequality within a given state are regressive state tax policies[2] (with the role of taxation in diminishing inequality increasing since the 1980s),[3] tax incentives for large companies,[4]corruption,[5] reduced trade union membership,[6] adoption of right-to-work laws,[7] lower minimum wages,[8] poorer healthcare[9] and increased welfare spending on the poor.[7]"   Yup.  and there are some here that argue for more regressive taxation.

Edited by redtail hawk

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/black-population-by-state  much information here but what strikes me is that most poor southern states are 20-30% black. so "questioning the decisions that black people make about there lives and telling them they should be more like the white people" would be extremely misinformed, misleading and disingenuous....

from wiki:  "In the framework of American federalism, states, in general, have wide latitude to enact policies within their borders, including state taxation and labor laws. Among the factors that may increase the inequality within a given state are regressive state tax policies[2] (with the role of taxation in diminishing inequality increasing since the 1980s),[3] tax incentives for large companies,[4]corruption,[5] reduced trade union membership,[6] adoption of right-to-work laws,[7] lower minimum wages,[8] poorer healthcare[9] and increased welfare spending on the poor.[7]"   Yup.  and there are some here that argue for more regressive taxation.

just pointing out its very complex and way more than demos.

Edited by Chris farley

On 1/16/2023 at 4:48 AM, Doc said:

The election denier?  Good luck.

Not sure.

If you're a Democrat it's perfectly OK to be an election denier if Republicans win.  if Democrats win its the most secure election in the history of the world.  And, it's a good thing cuz they're right.  There are many examples of this heroic behavior.  Hillary Clinton, Stacey Abrams, Pramila Jayapal, and Jamie Raskin immediately come to mind.

With the exception of President Biden and LBJ, Hakeem is the type of candidate the Democrats have always won with in my lifetime.  Young, charismatic, relatively unknown so minimal baggage candidates like  Kennedy, Carter, Clinton, and Obama.  He would be a good choice for them and could very well win IMHO.  I believe that's why they put him in as Speaker of the House.  Getting him a little pub before his 2024 run.

As to the Is it art question, it definitely is IMHO.  You might not like it,but it certainly is art.  What about it would make you wonder if its not art?

On 1/20/2023 at 2:18 PM, redtail hawk said:

It's interesting idea.  Lots of good points.  

The problem is the group that's always making the plans isn't diverse at all. 

The plan to create this diverse group to call me up with these ideas is kinda what the house is.  Problem is they are bought and paid for and lack any thought diversity.  

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/01/20/us-davos-ukraine-00078771

interesting views from the Davos elites.  In short:  America is stronger militarily and diplomatically than it has been in years with both China and Russia now weakened       and on the perceived negative side, America is regressing (turning away) from globalism

Edited by redtail hawk

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/01/20/us-davos-ukraine-00078771

interesting views from the Davos elites.  In short:  America is stronger militarily and diplomatically than it has been in years with both China and Russia now weakened       and on the perceived negative side, America is regressing (turning away) from globalism

Redtail….how are you feeling? 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Redtail….how are you feeling? 

improving.   will be much better if Bills win today.  A contractor friend (healthy, strong dude) called me yesterday to apologize for not getting back to me with a solar quote (significant state and fed tax breaks available) because he was in bed with Covid for 13 days.  3 weeks later says he's at 75%.   I've never had an infection linger so long but at least I'm out of bed and doing limited exercise.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

ANTIFA aligned groups have the city of Atlanta under siege, mostly trying to stop construction of a police training center (isn't better police training what these type wanted?). Face the Nation is currently on and all they can refer to the agitators is "organized groups" ..they can't dare name who it is.  It destroys the narrative.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boater said:

ANTIFA aligned groups have the city of Atlanta under siege, mostly trying to stop construction of a police training center (isn't better police training what these type wanted?). Face the Nation is currently on and all they can refer to the agitators is "organized groups" ..they can't dare name who it is.  It destroys the narrative.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say almost all democrats condemn ANTIFA

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ALF said:

I'm going to make a wild guess and say almost all democrats condemn ANTIFA

Have you been asleep for the last three years ?

You may be right when it comes to the average citizen, 

but Democrat Party "Leaders" most certainly do NOT condemn ANTIFA, they go out of their way to "explain" the justified reason for their violence.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, B-Man said:

but Democrat Party "Leaders" most certainly do NOT condemn ANTIFA, they go out of their way to "explain" the justified reason for their violence.

Do you think republicans support white supremacists ? I don't think so , I could care less what party leaders think . I'm a moderate and fed up with extremes both sides and party leaders.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Or claim it’s “just an idea.”

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Do you think republicans support white supremacists ? I don't think so , I could care less what party leaders think . I'm a moderate and fed up with extremes both sides and party leaders.

i'd guess about 50% of the 30% of hard core MAGA's that make up the electorate either are positive on white supremacy or neutral based on living in a red, southern region.  letters to the editor are often scary

• Eyeroll 1

SARASOTA, Fla. — A U.S. congressman from Florida who was seriously injured in a tree-trimming accident in Sarasota said Saturday he has been discharged from the hospital and is recovering at home.

Rep. Greg Steube said in an evening tweet that he remains “endlessly blessed by the prayers and support from our friends, family, and community.”

He added that his office “will provide updates next week on how my recovery will impact my return to Washington.”

On Thursday a tweet posted to the congressman’s official profile said Steube had been “knocked approximately 25 feet down off a ladder while cutting tree limbs on his Sarasota property” the previous day.

A separate tweet said then that he had spent the night in the ICU after sustaining several injuries that were serious but not life-threatening. An individual witnessed the fall and called 911, the account said.

Steube also thanked staffers at Sarasota Memorial Hospital on Saturday “for the excellent care” he received.

Steube, a Republican, was first elected to the House of Representatives in 2018 and just began his third term. He represents all of Sarasota and Charlotte counties and part of Lee County.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-rep-steube-out-of-hospital-after-accident-at-home/2023/01/21/5983301a-99ff-11ed-a173-61e055ec24ef_story.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2023/01/24/donald-trump-declares-himself-winner-of-his-own-golf-championship/11112610002/.  you can't make this sh!te up.  Wonder if he gave his actual scratch golfer players a  month with no dues.  ummm, no.  cheating is rampant in charity golf tournaments and is expected.  Hell, "garbage" shots are sold to raise money but it's amazing that the group that actually wins these rarely wins objective measures like longest drive and closest to the hole.  This was a club championship!!  Cheating definitely not supposed to be a part.  Wonder when he'll take Rick Reilly on his $100000 bet for a round with no handicap?  this pos lessens every institution he touches.

Edited by redtail hawk

In the annals of the United States Congress, I doubt there has ever been a more appropriately named bill for a more appropriate and necessary reason than the bill proposed by Missouri Republican Senator Josh Hawley on Tuesday. The name of the bill, which seeks to prevent lawmakers and their spouses from trading stocks and other securities on which they have privileged information? The PELOSI Act. Priceless.

Even more brilliant, the acronym “PELOSI” stands for the “Preventing Elected Leaders from Owning Securities and Investments Act.” Is that top-shelf stuff, or what? And comedy gold to boot.

Here’s Hawley:

Members of Congress and their spouses shouldn’t be using their position to get rich on the stock market – today l’m introducing legislation to BAN stock trading & ownership by members of Congress. I call it the PELOSI Act.

5e108fd0-727b-45b3-91b6-a5133cebceb8-860

https://redstate.com/mike_miller/2023/01/25/the-pelosi-act-josh-hawley-introduces-bill-named-after-former-speaker-and-its-just-priceless-n693547

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2