Jump to content

This Just in - Good Analysis of Moss & Singletary in 2020


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

The Cover 2 guys have an insightful analysis of the performances of Moss & Singletary during the 2020 season:

 

 

 

 

Synopsis:

 

The Bills switched to more outside zone runs to simplify their line calls in the pass game last season..........Moss was more efficient in outside zone because he is more familiar with that style.........but that hurt Singletary because he excels in more of a power scheme.

 

Key point........some advanced stats had Moss as the best pass blocking RB in the NFL.     Singletary was OK but not as good.

 

Singletary is the more explosive runner by a lot..........finishing 11th in the NFL in runs of 10 yards or more.

 

My take:

 

Breida is a natural fit in the outside zone........Singletary should improve in it and with almost all the same personnel returning they should be able to expand the playbook to include some more power runs that cater to Singletary..........but Moss probably ends up with the most snaps of the 3.

  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned quite a bit from this.  I think we have 2 good players here.  Lots of people are down on Singletary, but he had some good moments.  And, as a previous poster pointed out, Moss is a great blocker.  Breida might be a great addition.  I'm feeling a lot better after watching this.  

  • Like (+1) 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

The one big edge that Singletary has on Moss with pass blocking is his ability to jump cut and plant. There were a few plays this season where the kid jumped across 2-3 gaps, planted, and picked up a blitzer. It’s damn impressive, and if he can build on it could have him taking more passing snaps even with the drops. As for Moss.... well, there was a reason that I was harping about him being the best pass blocking RB in the draft last year. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Antonio Williams is a major wild card here.

 

He flashed just like Willie Parker in the season finale last year much in the same manner as Parker did in the 2004 season finale.

 

Willie Parker wound up being a starting RB on a SB champion in Pittsburgh, so who knows with Williams.

 

We should get a big answer with Antonio Williams in TC.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Antonio Williams is a major wild card here.

 

He flashed just like Willie Parker in the season finale last year much in the same manner as Parker did in the 2004 season finale.

 

Willie Parker wound up being a starting RB on a SB champion in Pittsburgh, so who knows with Williams.

 

We should get a big answer with Antonio Williams in TC.

A big question will be whether Antonio Williams can pass block.  In this offense, THAT'S job one.  

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent analysis. Thanks for finding & sharing. For reasons surpassing understanding, Allen’s running efficiency is seldom referenced when outsiders discuss the Bills ‘rushing woes’. We are definitely a Pass 1st offense, but ask any NFL defender if they fear #17 on the run. With Josh, run scheme doesn’t matter. 

I liked Brandon’s comments and do believe our overall running game will improve this season, even staying with Pass 1st design.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

Synopsis:

 

The Bills switched to more outside zone runs to simplify their line calls in the pass game last season..........Moss was more efficient in outside zone because he is more familiar with that style.........but that hurt Singletary because he excels in more of a power scheme.

 

Key point........some advanced stats had Moss as the best pass blocking RB in the NFL.     Singletary was OK but not as good.

 

Singletary is the more explosive runner by a lot..........finishing 11th in the NFL in runs of 10 yards or more.

 

My take:

 

Breida is a natural fit in the outside zone........Singletary should improve in it and with almost all the same personnel returning they should be able to expand the playbook to include some more power runs that cater to Singletary..........but Moss probably ends up with the most snaps of the 3.

 

Very nice summation. Spot on.

 

I am a Singletary fan and told my brother (who gave up on him) that they have to go back to the plays Singletary ran as a rookie... I feel smart now....

 

Go Bills!

  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Utah John said:

A big question will be whether Antonio Williams can pass block.  In this offense, THAT'S job one.  

 

I'm sure has been taught well. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I learned quite a bit from this.  I think we have 2 good players here.  Lots of people are down on Singletary, but he had some good moments.  And, as a previous poster pointed out, Moss is a great blocker.  Breida might be a great addition.  I'm feeling a lot better after watching this.  

Gotta admit, I was surprised at the tape of how well Singletary reads gaps and his patience. I agree with Erik's assessment that the run game woes fall largely on the OL.

 

And yeah, I kinda thought Moss and Singletary were interchangable but they each have different but valuable skills. I'd dress Breida, Motor and Moss pretty much every game. Breida could be a great weapon on the outside, clearly something Moss and Singletary do not excel at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, njbuff said:

Antonio Williams is a major wild card here.

 

He flashed just like Willie Parker in the season finale last year much in the same manner as Parker did in the 2004 season finale.

 

Willie Parker wound up being a starting RB on a SB champion in Pittsburgh, so who knows with Williams.

 

We should get a big answer with Antonio Williams in TC.

 

 

He has a chance because he is a one cut and go guy...........you don't really have to be elusive or patient in outside zone.........but you gotta' be decisive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Utah John said:

A big question will be whether Antonio Williams can pass block.  In this offense, THAT'S job one.  

Moss and Singletary stayed in to block on 32% and 17% of their snaps on passing plays respectively. Pass blocking is more important for RBs than lots of people think, but running the ball and catching it out of the backfield are still jobs 1 and 2.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

 

Very nice summation. Spot on.

 

I am a Singletary fan and told my brother (who gave up on him) that they have to go back to the plays Singletary ran as a rookie... I feel smart now....

 

Go Bills!

Singletary was still the better of the 2 last year. 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Singletary was still the better of the 2 last year. 

 

Moss was better as a pass catcher and blocker.  That alone means he gets more snaps, imo.  He also got the Gore role of short yardage/goal line and closing games out.  The Bills seemed much more successful throwing the ball out of heavy formations than running but I like the tandem and whatever role Breida carves out is ok with me.  Both averaged over 4 ypc and much  like the reported death of Mark Twain, I think Moss and Singletary's shortcomings have been greatly exaggerated.  That is my big takeaway from Erik's breakdown. 

 

I loved those clips of Moss stepping into the gap, sticking the blitzer and anchoring.  One moment I fear is a RB cutting an oncoming blitzer who then tumbles into Josh's plant leg with his full weight upon it.  Yikes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Singletary was still the better of the 2 last year. 

 

what makes you say that?  Not trying to be snarky, serious question.  I wasn't overly impressed with either, but Moss had the ability to grind a game away at the end.  Singletary bizarrely seemed to take a step back after his rookie year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...