Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

NY Residents:

I was going to start a separate thread to see others' experiences with getting the NYS Excelsior Pass, because I had my 2nd jab on 3/28 and was STILL not having success in getting my pass.  As I was writing the thread, I checked the app again and BOOM.  I got it.  So no thread.  But I thought this would be a good spot to post about it, since it's a bunch of vaxxed mo fos up in here.

My pass was not available until the Monday following the 2-week after full vaccination date (which was a Sunday).

So it's likely that a full 2-week post vax wait may be the norm.

I was growing impatient (and a little worried), so I figured I wasn't the only one saying "WTF, man?!?"

Once you get the pass, it even gives the option to add to your Apple Wallet.  So it'll be a one-stop-shop for presenting event tickets and vax proof.

https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/excelsior-pass

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

For anybody who's ever wondered what it feels like the day after a football game, this vaccine's effect the following day was remarkably similar.

The morning after my shot, I opened my eyes, rolled out of bed and for a second was actually confused because I couldn't remember yesterday's game. The physical feelings were so similar that it was like my body was automatically operating under the assumption I had played ball the day before but my mind wasn't awake enough to process the real reason I was sore.

I've never had that from any other vaccine and it was a really weird moment. I kind of liked it.

For you it was after football - for me it was after Creed vs Balboa I, after Fight Club :P

• Haha (+1) 1

Getting my 2nd dose on Thursday. Have had many people tell me the 2nd is worse than the 1st, however my wife's 1st shot put her down for 3 days, like bad. So we were expecting it to be a lot worse on her 2nd, or at the very least the same as the 1st.

Surprising enough, the 2nd shot didn't bother her at all. Like not one bit. Besides the arm soreness that everyone has. So the 2nd one isn't worse for some. Everyone is different so will affect differently. With that being said, I will post my affects on Friday.

• Like (+1) 1

Chatting with female co-worker, she said her father works for Pfizer and said ‘you WANT to feel the effects from the second dose’.  It shows you’re building anti-bodies. I have no reason to doubt her nor her father but it makes no sense to this medical neophyte. If I was given a small dose of it last month and was fine, why would I be crippled with the second one?

Anyway, again, I’ve taken next Wednesday & Thursday off in anticipation of Hell coming to breakfast.. If not, I’ll just be the creepy old guy in the beach chair ogling bikini-clad lasses, swillin’ Schlitz.😉👍

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Chatting with female co-worker, she said her father works for Pfizer and said ‘you WANT to feel the effects from the second dose’.  It shows you’re building anti-bodies. I have no reason to doubt her nor her father but it makes no sense to this medical neophyte. If I was given a small dose of it last month and was fine, why would I be crippled with the second one?

Anyway, again, I’ve taken next Wednesday & Thursday off in anticipation of Hell coming to breakfast.. If not, I’ll just be the creepy old guy in the beach chair ogling bikini-clad lasses, swillin’ Schlitz.😉👍

That  makes sense, but wonder what it means for the ones who don't get any effects at all? Idk, probably means nothing and likely still works the same.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Many people get a stronger reaction to the 2nd dose because your immune system recognizes the virus spike protein from the first dose of the vaccine and mounts a stronger response.

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That  makes sense, but wonder what it means for the ones who don't get any effects at all? Idk, probably means nothing and likely still works the same.

yeah, you’re all good regardless of vaccine reaction. Everyone’s body/immune system is different.

When you look at the trial data for the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines, just over 1/2 the people had no reactions but were still 90+% protected.

I’ve read the younger you are, the More likely you are to have a reaction (more robust immune system) but I don’t know that’s actually true.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Why, Yes. Yes I have! 

You know damn well that even if you're feeling like death, you're STILL gonna be the creepy old guy in the beach chair ogling bikini-clad lasses!!!

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You know damn well that even if you're feeling like death, you're STILL gonna be the creepy old guy in the beach chair ogling bikini-clad lasses!!!

That's the difference between feeling like death and being dead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Pfizer dose 2 has knocked my wife out for a full day and a half so far. 

I have my second dose of moderna Coming up, and I heard it can be even rougher than Pfizer. 

It can also be.......no big deal. Chill, you’ll probably be fine. My mother worked herself into a frenzy about the second shot. Hopefully you will do better than your wife this time around. Fingers crossed! 

Hope the wife is getting back to feeling good!  

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Pfizer dose 2 has knocked my wife out for a full day and a half so far. 

I have my second dose of moderna Coming up, and I heard it can be even rougher than Pfizer. 

other than the sore arm with moderna, i felt fine. maybe just a touch tired, but it may have just been me being tired from life.  my wife who also had the moderna shot, and is in her 30s had no real reaction as well.  just a bit tired.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, teef said:

other than the sore arm with moderna, i felt fine. maybe just a touch tired, but it may have just been me being tired from life.  my wife who also had the moderna shot, and is in her 30s had no real reaction as well.  just a bit tired.  

My fiancee had a bad to reaction to the 2nd Moderna but only for 1 day, perhaps less than 24 hours.

My 2nd Moderna was even easier than the first, which was fine. I'm talking zero symptoms. Fwiw, my fiancee is a RN. She actually gives the shots and says that women are getting worse reactions than men. Naturally, I don't know for sure if this is true but this is her strong opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

My fiancee had a bad to reaction to the 2nd Moderna but only for 1 day, perhaps less than 24 hours.

My 2nd Moderna was even easier than the first, which was fine. I'm talking zero symptoms. Fwiw, my fiancee is a RN. She actually gives the shots and says that women are getting worse reactions than men. Naturally, I don't know for sure if this is true but this is her strong opinion.

that moderna seems to follow a schedule.  you'll possibly start feeling lousy 12 hours after, and it ends 24 hours after.   i could see the reactions being worse for women.  in our office, 6 of the girls received the vaccine, and two had the more hard core symptoms that lasted the day.  the two were younger, but our other younger employee felt nothing.  it was a mixed bag here.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.