6 teams have until 4 pm tomorrow to get under the cap

10 minutes ago, buffalover4life said:

What Happens if they don't?

Honest question

First, I think this happens in the NFL cafeteria...

giphy.gif

But in all seriousness...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#National_Football_League

"The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks."

• Haha (+1) 1

Which means there will likely be even more veterans released over the next 24 hours.

I've noticed some panic on this board, as many of the top free agents get snatched up for big bucks.

But you will also notice that cap space is also quickly dwindling away...

By Thursday or Friday, I would expect the Bills to start getting involved and landing some bargains.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Eagles could drop about 1/3 of that by dropping/trading Ertz. The dude counts $12M against the cap this year. 

Beane offered them a 7 with Ertz restructuring Sunday. They’re gonna call at 3:45 tomorrow and ask if the offer stands to which Beane will say: 

yes, you can definitely give me Ertz and a 4th for my 7th.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Technical question, do teams have to stay under the cap after March 17?  

Yes, they have to stay under the cap at the end of every day.

Some teams will look like they are over on Spotrac/OTC but that is unofficial.

They official numbers are kept my the NFL.

22 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Technical question, do teams have to stay under the cap after March 17?  

Yes but only the top 51 salaries count towards it as most teams after the draft have 90 players on roster.   Was reading the other day how because we're drafting lower at #30 in each round and no 4th round pick, likely only the top three draft picks will be included in the top 51 players so the amount of money that needs to be allocated to draft picks is much lower for the Bills this year.  Think I saw a number like about $1.6 mil

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Beane go help out Philly and Chicago.  Get Mack and Ertz for a bag of chips.

From the sounds of another thread the Bills may be negotiating a new contract with Ertz, if Ertz agrees to it, then Philly will trade him to the Bills and he'll immediately sign a new contract with a lower salary.

Got me thinking could it help Philly at all if he were to reduce his salary prior to being traded as then Philly would be taking a smaller hit.  I'm guessing any salary reduction comes in the form of guaranteed $$ so probably not then?  Maybe I answered my own question.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes but only the top 51 salaries count towards it as most teams after the draft have 90 players on roster.   Was reading the other day how because we're drafting lower at #30 in each round and no 4th round pick, likely only the top three draft picks will be included in the top 51 players so the amount of money that needs to be allocated to draft picks is much lower for the Bills this year.  Think I saw a number like about $1.6 mil

From the sounds of another thread the Bills may be negotiating a new contract with Ertz, if Ertz agrees to it, then Philly will trade him to the Bills and he'll immediately sign a new contract with a lower salary.

Got me thinking could it help Philly at all if he were to reduce his salary prior to being traded as then Philly would be taking a smaller hit.  I'm guessing any salary reduction comes in the form of guaranteed $$ so probably not then?  Maybe I answered my own question.

If he came to an agreement with Philly he wouldnt be in this position.  I dont think Buffalo would lower his "salary".  But pay him more money and lower his cap hit.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

If he came to an agreement with Philly he wouldnt be in this position.  I dont think Buffalo would lower his "salary".  But pay him more money and lower his cap hit.

Yeah that's kind of what I thought.  Could be a combination of both. If both the Bills and Ertz know if instead Philly releases him likely other teams would offer him even lower amounts yet, he may take a smaller cut in overall pay, but still get more $$ in form of Signing bonus.  To me it's the same as Addison, Butler, and Morse all took cuts, but got money sooner too.