Bills re-sign Feliciano

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have said it in the shoutbox tonight I think Singletary getting traded is pretty likely. A throw away end of day 3 pick OR, maybe more likely, a player who has flamed out somewhere else and is a possible cut in a player for player deal.

Boy, I guess that I think that Singletary is better than that, but I have been disappointed with his hands in the passing game.

If they dump Singletary like you suggest, who is playing RB besides Moss?  Do you think they are in the market for a RB in the draft?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What do you call "a lot"?  The Bills ran 1,2 sets 10% 2019 (104 plays) and 8% 2020 (91 plays).  So it seems we're talking about 13 plays?

Ran 1,3 sets 4% in 2019 (43 plays) and 3% in 2020 (36 plays).  So we're talking about 7 plays?

(Sharp Football Stats)

If the QB operates best out of a spread, how come the vast majority of the time the Bills ran 1,1 sets (3 WR)?  Over 70% of the time.

Only 15% of the time in the 4 WR spread "your QB operates best out of" doesn't sound very wise.

The majority of the time last year and this year, the Bills were operating out of a 1,1 set with 1 TE and 1 RB.  And the run/pass split was very similar.

We did run more 2,2 last year with Pat Dimarco, and basically none this year with Gilliam, and we overwhelmingly ran out of that set.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the difference was 1) emphasis in preseason and practice 2) churn on OL

Maybe.  But he was so underrated that the Bengals put him on their practice squad and have not yet re-signed him, so apparently two teams of NFL OL evaluators don't see it.

Yes you are right we ran a lot of 11 personnel that is our base, we ran a lot of trips but we.also had one of the highest (if not the highest?) 4 and 5 wide numbers in the league. I didn't explain myself very well but what I mean is Buffalo are a team whose preference is to spread the field rather than constrict it. That is when Josh feels more comfortable. 11 is their base but when they get out of 11 it is to get more receivers on the field not more big guys.

Thank you for the comparison to the 2019 numbers. I confess my instinct would have been that the difference on heavy personnel groupings would have been bigger between the two years. We didn't get to a lot of 11 personnel in 2019 until after the Cleveland game and then we used it very heavily after that. My memory from the early weeks of 2019 is a lot of 12 and 22.

23 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Bringing back the same o-line means the Bills DGAF about the running game. Which I love 

Which means you DGAF about getting to and winning the SB.  Not going to get there with the same terrible run game as last year; not my opinion as both Beane and Mcd have said that and they emphasized run must improve. So good news for 2 Nd year together for the line, yet we will see if that’s enough to improve and not just stand in place. Big needs are still EDGE, CB2, TE, and based on draft visits , perhaps RB. Joe Miller  quoted John Fina as saying run issues were scheme oriented ( funny i asked Fina  same on Twitter and he claimed he was Swiss and couldn’t comment,Miller must have pressed harder and they may be doing podcast work together. Fina is really courteous on Twitter and yesterday was his BD BTW). 

so line looks intact and we need to hope something changes. With an entire offseason of film, our O will be analyzed so I can’t see us passing 90% with continued success. TB and Kc both have adequate run games, so no doubt we need work.  Just because same interior guys are back doesn’t mean they start or that we don’t add a good guard during the draft. So great work by Beane to tread water so far, but many other teams ( esp in our division) have lots of money to be active and improve.  Still hope we make a couple of moves in FA, with edge, guard, cb2, on my priority wish list. Rb wise I am ok with Williams ,motor, moss , but would add a late pick (4 th or later) for someone like trey sermon from OSU with breakaway speed. Good stuff by Beane, but treading water is ok if we are satisfied with last years results.   We have to fix pass rush and run game to be serious SB TITLE contenders.

Addendum; I agree I didn’t state this well. After listening to mongo, it is a good thing they  all resigned and I was ignoring how they only played 5 games together because of all the injuries last year. So it’s more than treading water and it is good stability. Let’s see if the coaching can help correct scheme issues like Fina mentioned. I still stick by the idea our coordinators must be more creative. Pats got a good te already and added to their rush with Judon. They are the  ones saying it starts by stopping Josh, and they obviously know we can’t cover TEs well. The signings are great continuity , yet it still is no guarantee they all still start. We let go of one extended lineman pretty quickly last year, so just signing doesn’t mean the o line work is done. I stick by the review of the all 22 film work by cover 1 who showed terrible run blocking by the guards and even Williams at times.     We will still have to have some improved run gsme over last year ) to win he SB ( Beane said we were not good enough to win it last year, quoted with link in another topic). Need a better run game to take advantage of Josh’s great play action ability.  Great work so far by beane but I can’t believe this is all we need to get back to last years success. Just don’t see a one dimensional offense ( running less than 5x a game)  or a d where the front 4 is horrible causing pressure alone , getting past kc or th if we get that far.  Am I that wrong ? 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Oh I would not be any where near done with this line. I am not liking how it got beat hard on running downs which makes me think one of too things are going to happen. \

1. We pick up a bruising RB in FA or Draft OR we hit Oline hard in draft...  OT in round one, Edge round two and Guard round 3.  Our QB can not be the best runner on the team and think we will be Dynamic or even more Dynamic next year. I have the feeling of rinse repeat when I want rinse better.  I am not sold. Period.  Unless we have a top end BRUISING RB on this team that can go out there and get his own yards..

darn.. Please someone tell me I am wrong and why?

We cant tell you that you are wrong until we see what actually happens in the draft...

1 hour ago, singlezero said:

All  the  talk of  bringing   back  the same  team  with  no  improvements    close  to the salary  cap .  Over  half  the  teams out  there  are  going to have   to  strip release  or trade  half   their  players  to get  under  the  cap. Very  solid   job  in  what  is   a most  unique  year. Not  to  mention the value  of  Culture  that is  being  heard around  the   NFL  going  forward.

You're  a  double  spacer .  I  kinda  like  it.  :beer:

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Man i think it was a smoke screen too. Lol this dudes always a few steps ahead. I cant imagine having the sharpness to send a misdirection that "early" on, but thats why hes Beane and im a fan

I was at work calling Smoke screen on this one to about TE.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Boy, I guess that I think that Singletary is better than that, but I have been disappointed with his hands in the passing game.

If they dump Singletary like you suggest, who is playing RB besides Moss?  Do you think they are in the market for a RB in the draft?

T J Yeldon would be nice

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

But its all about the last game .. if your are the Bills.. apparently we can excuse the stinker the Chiefs had in their last game..

Bills are a team on the come. We have flaws, they were exposed by KC. The O-line will be better next season with a hard running back and a dependable TE. I like our offense if these 2 positions are addressed. 

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Yes. Not early, but somewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The run blocking can't be the only problem when a guy like Singletary, who's not fast, doesn't hit holes or break tackles. When Moss played, the run attack was better,but the Bills went empty most of the time because they knew they couldn't run it. By the way, were you not entertained by Josh sitting and having a sandwich ,perusing the field and picking apart teams in the 8 games in a row they beat good D-lines.

Who said the OL was the only problem? 

yeah....I enjoyed those games.  Winning regular season games don’t matter too much to me with this team.  I want to win the super bowl.  I don’t think we’ll win the super bowl with a similar run game as last season.  I said it all year....we’ll lose in the playoffs unless we can get out run game going.  We didn’t.  The team that beat us didn’t think twice about us running the ball....and that’s why we lost imo

Edited by NewEra

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Oh I would not be any where near done with this line. I am not liking how it got beat hard on running downs which makes me think one of too things are going to happen. \

1. We pick up a bruising RB in FA or Draft OR we hit Oline hard in draft...  OT in round one, Edge round two and Guard round 3.  Our QB can not be the best runner on the team and think we will be Dynamic or even more Dynamic next year. I have the feeling of rinse repeat when I want rinse better.  I am not sold. Period.  Unless we have a top end BRUISING RB on this team that can go out there and get his own yards..

Even bruising RBs need some blocking to get a head of steam up.  If the plan is to find a power back to fight for a yard after being hit 2 yards behind the LOS, then I don’t agree.

Just now, Eastport bills said:

Bills are a team on the come. We have flaws, they were exposed by KC. The O-line will be better next season with a hard running back and a dependable TE. I like our offense if these 2 positions are addressed. 

And a DE.. but Im not so confident they are going to address that now in FA.. 

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

What we need at running back is speed more than a bruiser. We need a guy who accelerates and hits the hole fast.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

With the cap likely jumping significantly next year with the new TV deals + fans back, Beane has a lot of restructure opportunities to free up more cap space. My dream remaining off-season and it is possible:

Re-sign McKenzie and a bojorquez

UFA signings on Covid deals

CB: Richard Sherman

TE: Hunter Henry

DE: Yannick Ngakoue

pick 30: Ettiene falls to us

pick 62: if anything close to the above happens I don’t care 

• Eyeroll 1

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you expecting more pin and pull next year?

I for one hope so, mainly because it worked quite well, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1