Bills re-sign Feliciano

Very comfortable and glad. This was a good move, and good contract. Felciano is tough as nails, and folks were letting his performance during the playoffs against some crazy good pass rushers override his general solid play and the good game film he is capable of. Not saying he didn't have a few moments of struggles this past season, but 2020 was an insane, terrible year, John had a serious injury, and was also asked to shuffle all over the place.

So we've really done well to keep together a team that was one game away from the superbowl. Let's also not forget our schedule was brutal in 2020 and this team can add the 1-2 pieces via the draft. I'd really like to see an electric player taken in this draft...

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cap isn’t going up that much. Players have to still give back roughly 27.5M per team. The Cap this year based on Revenue should be 150 - 155M per team. They set the floor where they set it. Now part of that will be getting that player money back in the next couple years. 3 years IMO before you see the cap back to growing majorly. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All depends on the TV deals. 

Agreed. A huge portion of a jump going forward will be the TV deals, which are reportedly making a leap. Plus stadium revenue. 

I would have to dig it up, but the editor of Spotrac was quoted saying he thought the cap could jump to something like $220M in 2022. Right now the site is a little more conservative, projecting $209M. That puts the Bills cap at about $33M. If it goes to $220M the Bills have $44M in space. I should note, these are all pre-Mongo numbers. 

I aired on the high side, but still within the range. 

Just looking at the FA list, I think this is a much harder year for us than next year. Basically Philips, Wallace, Edmunds, and Allen. I don’t think Phillips and Wallace command much money. Edmunds is still a ??? for me in regards to what his contract value is/will be, especially given the value of Milano’s new contract. I can’t imagine dumping $25M per year into the production we go in 2020. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think they care too much about the run game. I think it's about getting the RBs involved in the pass game. Allen needs more options than just the WRs. In that context Bell would have made sense. I would really love the Bills to draft Gainwell in the 2nd and trade Singletary for a late round pick. Cut our losses and get a legitimate explosive back who can catch the ball.

I have said it in the shoutbox tonight I think Singletary getting traded is pretty likely. A throw away end of day 3 pick OR, maybe more likely, a player who has flamed out somewhere else and is a possible cut in a player for player deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Bringing back the same o-line means the Bills DGAF about the running game. Which I love 

When has Beane ever shown unwilling to improve the roster if given a chance? At worst its continuity, and at best its a contract we can get out of when we find an upgrade in the draft. 

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cap isn’t going up that much. Players have to still give back roughly 27.5M per team. The Cap this year based on Revenue should be 150 - 155M per team. They set the floor where they set it. Now part of that will be getting that player money back in the next couple years. 3 years IMO before you see the cap back to growing majorly. 

Don’t think you get it Jerry Jones is running the tv negotiations he just signed a 40 million dollar qb he will make sure he squeezes these networks for every single penny cap next year will be 220 

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Absolutely troublesome performance by coaches and O-line. The only argument in their defense is with Singletary ,who should have been wearing a dress as timid as he was, the D-line pinned their ears and just brought pressure. A semblance of a running attack would have slowed them a little. The other argument is its one terrible game.

Which was mainly due to our OLs lack of proficient run blocking.  And now we have the same OL.  

regarding it “being one terrible game”, we were just as bad, if not worse in the first matchup vs the same average D.

let’s hope we can scheme around the OL run blocking or add a RB that has some giddy up and can make defenses pay 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe instead of changing the players they change the coaching of the OL where they can spend as much money as they want.

This is a good point. Is it as simple as changing the coaching/philosophy? Or is it that this group just isn't capable? 

Does a more dynamic RB cure all ills? I wonder. ^_^

56 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I'm confused.... where/when do we get better? 

My guess is that the earliest we see the team get better would be when free agency kicks off on Wednesday, March 17th. This free agent period will allow Beane to sign players from other organizations to contracts that bind them to the Buffalo Bills organization. 

If that doesn’t happen I think the other option to get better would be during the 2021 NFL Draft. It begins on Thursday, April 29th and concludes on Saturday, May 1st. 

In short, we can see the Bills get better as early as Wednesday, March 17th but no later than Saturday, May 1st. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Bringing back the same o-line means the Bills DGAF about the running game. Which I love 

This was exactly what I thought about this move. I really thought they needed to shake things up a little. By bringing back the same line it means we are unlikely to improve as a run team. This is a pass first offense, but it bites us in big games because no one respects our run game. I’m feeling very meh about this signing. I was really getting hyped about the possibility of a first round lineman to replace Feliciano. Oh well...

• Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Which was mainly due to our OLs lack of proficient run blocking.  And now we have the same OL.  

regarding it “being one terrible game”, we were just as bad, if not worse in the first matchup vs the same average D.

let’s hope we can scheme around the OL run blocking or add a RB that has some giddy up and can make defenses pay 

Excellent post. How quickly we forget...better get imaginative!

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A little bit. We ran a lot more tight formation with big personnel in 2019 (remember all the multiple tight end sets that people went mad about?).

What do you call "a lot"?  The Bills ran 1,2 sets 10% 2019 (104 plays) and 8% 2020 (91 plays).  So it seems we're talking about 13 plays?

Ran 1,3 sets 4% in 2019 (43 plays) and 3% in 2020 (36 plays).  So we're talking about 7 plays?

(Sharp Football Stats)

But when your Quarterback operates best out of a spread with 4 wides

If the QB operates best out of a spread, how come the vast majority of the time the Bills ran 1,1 sets (3 WR)?  Over 70% of the time.

Only 15% of the time in the 4 WR spread "your QB operates best out of" doesn't sound very wise.

it is hard to then bring the big guys to run the ball without telling the defense that is exactly what you are doing. There were other factors, we ran less pin and pull but again part of it is about finding a run scheme to mesh with the way we now run our pass offense.

The majority of the time last year and this year, the Bills were operating out of a 1,1 set with 1 TE and 1 RB.  And the run/pass split was very similar.

We did run more 2,2 last year with Pat Dimarco, and basically none this year with Gilliam, and we overwhelmingly ran out of that set.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the difference was 1) emphasis in preseason and practice 2) churn on OL

EDIT: oh and Quinton Spain was way underrated.

Maybe.  But he was so underrated that the Bengals put him on their practice squad and have not yet re-signed him, so apparently two teams of NFL OL evaluators don't see it.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The run blocking can't be the only problem when a guy like Singletary, who's not fast, doesn't hit holes or break tackles. When Moss played, the run attack was better,but the Bills went empty most of the time because they knew they couldn't run it. By the way, were you not entertained by Josh sitting and having a sandwich ,perusing the field and picking apart teams in the 8 games in a row they beat good D-lines.

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Just looking at the FA list, I think this is a much harder year for us than next year. Basically Philips, Wallace, Edmunds, and Allen. I don’t think Phillips and Wallace command much money. Edmunds is still a ??? for me in regards to what his contract value is/will be, especially given the value of Milano’s new contract. I can’t imagine dumping $25M per year into the production we go in 2020. 

Do you mean Levi Wallace?  Isn't he a FA this year?

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

By the way, were you not entertained by Josh sitting and having a sandwich ,perusing the field and picking apart teams in the 8 games in a row they beat good D-lines.

But its all about the last game .. if your are the Bills.. apparently we can excuse the stinker the Chiefs had in their last game..

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At this point I’m of the opinion that his end of year press conference was a giant smokescreen. So now I’m expecting a new RB and Dawson Knox at TE1

Man i think it was a smoke screen too. Lol this dudes always a few steps ahead. I cant imagine having the sharpness to send a misdirection that "early" on, but thats why hes Beane and im a fan

Oh I would not be any where near done with this line. I am not liking how it got beat hard on running downs which makes me think one of too things are going to happen. \

1. We pick up a bruising RB in FA or Draft OR we hit Oline hard in draft...  OT in round one, Edge round two and Guard round 3.  Our QB can not be the best runner on the team and think we will be Dynamic or even more Dynamic next year. I have the feeling of rinse repeat when I want rinse better.  I am not sold. Period.  Unless we have a top end BRUISING RB on this team that can go out there and get his own yards..

darn.. Please someone tell me I am wrong and why?