Current Cap #'s

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, they made it through three reductions in Morse, Butler, and Addison, but I haven’t seen any restructures yet (kicking the can down the road).  It’s not Beane’s MO especially as he had to clean up the mess he inherited.  I’m guessing he may ask for one or two more reductions before it’s over.  As of now, we have $10.1 mil. In space, but Spotrac projects we need $6 mil. for the draft.

Many teams like $5 mil. for an emergency fund for injuries during the year, so it’s a matter of waiting to see if there are any restructures, reductions or releases before we can consider any other acquisitions.

Spotrac projection of $6M for the draft is silly as far as I know.  Maybe $2M

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they just give an estimation on what it will cost to sign the entire class.  Not factoring in top 51 on teams rosters.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think they just give an estimation on what it will cost to sign the entire class.  Not factoring in top 51 on teams rosters.  

ColoradoBills did a GREAT breakdown up thread. I reccomend reading it for all that ask about the cost of draft picks against the cap.. Very nice and simple to understand it broken down the way he did it....

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, they made it through three reductions in Morse, Butler, and Addison, but I haven’t seen any restructures yet (kicking the can down the road).  It’s not Beane’s MO especially as he had to clean up the mess he inherited.  I’m guessing he may ask for one or two more reductions before it’s over.  As of now, we have $10.1 mil. In space, but Spotrac projects we need $6 mil. for the draft.

Many teams like $5 mil. for an emergency fund for injuries during the year, so it’s a matter of waiting to see if there are any restructures, reductions or releases before we can consider any other acquisitions.

Also, this year is a bit extraordinary so I don't think we can 100% go by what Beane would ordinarily do.

We also need a punter and a punt/kickoff return guy

I don't think Beane is gonna wait on restructures, reductions, or releases before he considers other acquisitions.

But I also think he knows who he thinks might add value and what he's willing to pay for them, and he won't get "auction fever" and exceed that.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also, this year is a bit extraordinary so I don't think we can 100% go by what Beane would ordinarily do.

We also need a punter and a punt/kickoff return guy

I don't think Beane is gonna wait on restructures, reductions, or releases before he considers other acquisitions.

But I also think he knows who he thinks might add value and what he's willing to pay for them, and he won't get "auction fever" and exceed that.

I've noticed in the pass that some GMs don't do the restructures until they sign the guy they want.

Kind of pay as you go.  Plus not having all the cap space maybe helps a little in negotiations with the players agent.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There was an Athletic article with a great Cap breakdown I read a week or 2 ago by Joe B or Fairburn that analyzed our needed Cap space for our draftees and factored in the top 51 on the team and everything and I want to say the number they came up with was $2.5 million.  I know it was no more than $3 million.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Is this before or after the Lee Smith trade?

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

There was an Athletic article with a great Cap breakdown I read a week or 2 ago by Joe B or Fairburn that analyzed our needed Cap space for our draftees and factored in the top 51 on the team and everything and I want to say the number they came up with was $2.5 million.  I know it was no more than $3 million.

Is this before or after the Lee Smith trade?

Based on the timing, after

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Haack - $1.575M

Sanders - $6M

Feliciano - $5M  (1st year hit should be this or a little less)

Total:  $12.575M

Less displacing (Becker-660k, Love-780k, Cam Lewis-780k

Total Top 51 Cap Hit - $10.355M

Bills Current Cap: $10.618M

Beane is all square going into tomorrow from everything I have seen so far.

6 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

ColoradoBills did a GREAT breakdown up thread. I reccomend reading it for all that ask about the cost of draft picks against the cap.. Very nice and simple to understand it broken down the way he did it....

Whereabouts up thread? If you don't mind providing directions, kind sir...

Turns out working a 16-hour day has me WELL behind in my Bills FA news...

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Whereabouts up thread? If you don't mind providing directions, kind sir...

Turns out working a 16-hour day has me WELL behind in my Bills FA news...

On 3/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, ColoradoBills said:

I'll "show my work" about the Bills Draft Pick cost concerning the Top 51 Cap is as follows:

Every pick that is signed "displaces" a current player already being counted against the cap.

Currently those players are making at least $780,000.

Round 1, Pick #30--------$2,021,038  minus $780,000 equals $1,241,038

Round 2, Pick #61--------$1,000,327  minus $780,000 equals $220,327

Round 3, Pick #93--------$865,515  minus $780,000 equals $85,515

Round 5, Pick #161--------$734,059 will not count

Round 5, Pick #174--------$724,218  will not count

Round 6, Pick #211--------$696,650  will not count

Projected Draft Pool:        $6,041,807

Top 51 resulting cap hit:  $1,546,880.

To add one thing.  The 5th and 6th rounders will carry a small hit even though they are not in the Top 51.

It comes from their 1st year share of signing bonus.  So you need to add probably another 125k to my total.

But, by the time they are signed the $780k displacement should be a little higher.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So I'm expecting to hear they converted some salary into bonuses today. Make a quick $12-13 million in cap space. 

I don’t see that happening.  Allen and Diggs will need new contracts soon and i bet Beane doesn’t want to restructure contracts now and push that money into future years.  

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I don’t see that happening.  Allen and Diggs will need new contracts soon and i bet Beane doesn’t want to restructure contracts now and push that money into future years.  

It's not much of a increase. Won't affect either extension. I'll also add with players like Dawkins and White you can continue to create room. They'll hopefully be here a while. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you read the fine print, Spotrac tells you to subtract 660K times the number of picks from the $6M pool because of 51 roster displacement so the correct number is around $2.2M.

48 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Agreed, but I still think he will do so if there is a good reason. Like Mack or something :)