Cover 1: AJ Epenesa Rookie year transformation

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

AND, let's remember Edmunds has been in the league 3 years AND HE'S ONLY 22 FREAKIN' YEAS OLD!! He turns 23 in a couple months....that's just absurd. To that end, like with Josh, I think the Bills Drafted Edmunds not for who he was, or even is, but for who he will become - seeing the raw, uncultivated talent he had in college and what they could do to get him to be an elite MLB. He played with an injured shoulder, we all know that, and he does need to get better - but thinking about how young he is and how he still has so much potential, despite playing well periodically, shows that he could be a terrific to all-time great Bills LBer if he makes some strong gains.

I think the most frustrating part about the gripes from folks on here about Tremaine Edmunds is that that those same people are often the same people who gripe that Brandon Beane hasn’t done a very good job drafting “difference makers” or he just targets “high floor” players.

Out of one side of their mouth whine and complain we didn’t draft a guy like DK Metcalf because he has all of these elite physical traits but there were questions about his ability to translate it to the football field. The out of the other side of their mouth they whine and complain because Brandon Beane drafted Tremaine Edmunds and they’re upset because while he has all these physical traits and overall he’s been solid... he hasn’t developed into the elite player they want him to be. 

What’s the guy supposed to do? He takes a swing at a physical freak and gets flack for it... doesn’t take a swing at a physical freak and gets flack for it. It’s like he can never win and only certain TBD posters can ever be right! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, White Linen said:

I don't know what to think of AJ.  I guess I don't understand the weight loss.  Don't know if it was his decision or the teams either. 

It's been posted here and explicitly said in the media that AJ's weight loss was the Buffalo Bills Football Team's explicit instruction to him.

Leslie Frazier has said it

Beane has said it

McDermott has said it

Reporters have reported on it

People have repeated all these reports here

What would it take for you to know?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's been posted here and explicitly said in the media that AJ's weight loss was the Buffalo Bills Football Team's explicit instruction to him.

Beane has said it

McDermott has said it

The Cover 1 video posted here also has Leslie Frazier saying it on camera (from one of his weekly DC interviews). 

9 hours ago, White Linen said:

I don't know what to think of AJ.  I guess I don't understand the weight loss.  Don't know if it was his decision or the teams either. 

He excelled in college as a bull rusher and disruption using his size and strength.   He's not athletic as his combine results showed that glaringly.   The thought was he's not going to be able to push around NFL offensive lineman like he did to the smaller college players. 

But hey it was his strength so I was interested to see if he could push the pocket in the NFL getting moved around the line.

Then the weight loss happened.   Now he's not big enough to do what he excelled at and he's still not athletic enough to be an edge rusher. 

Very interested to see how his career plays out because I agree that he got better.

From what I have read, the team told him to lose weight after being drafted, his bull rush technique wasn’t producing success as RBs and TEs were being used this block him at times.  AJE had to learn a new way to be successful, and that is what he and his coaches have been working on, as has been stated he was seeing some success doing so. I suspect he will have more impact this upcoming season, we have a staff that appears to know how to develop players, unlike in our not so distant past...

Go Bills!!!

I look at him the same way I did Shaq Lawson. He might get you a hand full of sacks during a season but he's not going to be some game changer who is consistently making plays in the backfield. 

Edited by Bangarang

AJ was around 280lbs when drafted, but he wasn't a super lean 280 so it wasn't like he only dropped good weight. He got lean, but did lose some some muscle & strength along with it. This year, I'd expect to see him add another 10lbs of muscle back on, but still be lean. I think we'll see him at 265ish with regained strength & still have the increased explosiveness we saw in year 1.

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane has said it

McDermott has said it

What does it matter?  I just simply admitted I didn't know.  The point is, we'll see over time if that was the right decision.  Essentially changing what a player does well to convert him into a different type of player.

8 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What does it matter?  I just simply admitted I didn't know.  The point is, we'll see over time if that was the right decision.  Essentially changing what a player does well to convert him into a different type of player.

It is desirable to read the op and take a look at the link in it and the other posts before responding.  It leads to a more informed and interesting conversation vs. skipping that step and just putting your lack of knowledge out there. 

A personal frustration, that's all.

27 minutes ago, 947 said:

AJ was around 280lbs when drafted, but he wasn't a super lean 280 so it wasn't like he only dropped good weight. He got lean, but did lose some some muscle & strength along with it. This year, I'd expect to see him add another 10lbs of muscle back on, but still be lean. I think we'll see him at 265ish with regained strength & still have the increased explosiveness we saw in year 1.

Yeah, Beane commented that they asked him to alter his body composition, so it wasn't just about losing weight.  I think the lack of in-person off-season workouts probably hurt Epenesa there as perhaps he could have gotten better guidance in the facility.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think the most frustrating part about the gripes from folks on here about Tremaine Edmunds is that that those same people are often the same people who gripe that Brandon Beane hasn’t done a very good job drafting “difference makers” or he just targets “high floor” players.

Out of one side of their mouth whine and complain we didn’t draft a guy like DK Metcalf because he has all of these elite physical traits but there were questions about his ability to translate it to the football field. The out of the other side of their mouth they whine and complain because Brandon Beane drafted Tremaine Edmunds and they’re upset because while he has all these physical traits and overall he’s been solid... he hasn’t developed into the elite player they want him to be. 

What’s the guy supposed to do? He takes a swing at a physical freak and gets flack for it... doesn’t take a swing at a physical freak and gets flack for it. It’s like he can never win and only certain TBD posters can ever be right!

Beane has IMO actually developed a bit of a pattern at shooting for "high ceiling" players especially in the first rounds, rather than "high floor".  I would say both Edmunds and Allen are examples of this.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is desirable to read the op and take a look at the link in it and the other posts before responding, that's all.  It leads to a more informed conversation.

That may be true but there's not always time to do that and you can still be inclined to post.  You took the smallest part of my post and inflated it.   

My post was simply that it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  Nothing negative. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane has said it

McDermott has said it

I guess we'll just never know for sure...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane has IMO actually developed a bit of a pattern at shooting for "high ceiling" players especially in the first rounds, rather than "high floor".  I would say both Edmunds and Allen are examples of this.

Oh I agree, I just don’t think people recognize the risk/reward of these prospects. They only want them when they pan out... and when they do they bash Beane for not taking a home run swing. 

It’s a lose/lose really... not that Brandon Beane cares about what folks on here think. 

• Agree 1

Ford and Epenesa have one thing in common.  Many draftniks thought they were 1st round players.  Both of them were passed over in the first round and got drafted after many other players at their position were drafted.  Neither have been knoci-out great and we are being hopeful rather than wowed.   Was there too much "bargin hunting" and not enough honest accessment?

Great cover 1 article Yolo, thanks for posting.  The future's bright for AJ, he's a tireless worker and I think his specialty is getting inside effectively from that DE position.  In college, he used his strong hands and arm thrusts at a heavier weight to be effective in the big 10.  In the NFL he needs to be effective on the outside and use it and more burst to set up his inside game.  But he's very intelligent and tireless.  The next two years will be fun to see where he ascends.  I expect him to be a disruptor and you get Ed Oliver upping that part of his game, it should create havoc for offenses.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Anyone else pumped for year 2 now? 

I was before the video.  He looked like a bust his first half-season, then started making plays.  I figured he'd be better in his 2nd year.