Bills submit rule proposal change on interviews

• BillsMafi$ changed the title to Bills submit rule proposal change on interviews

Is this there way of saying that there assistant coaching staff was distracted by the interview process? 🤔 kinda looked that way in the chiefs game! That was a coaching disaster!! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You would think that would be common sense. Hopefully they do it. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Football said:

Is this there way of saying that there assistant coaching staff was distracted by the interview process? 🤔 kinda looked that way in the chiefs game! That was a coaching disaster!! 

I don't think the coaches did a good job in the playoffs at all. That could be what they are thinking. They could also be looking out for them and thinking this change would give them a better chance at landing a job.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 4

If Daboll had a crappy day at the office for the AFCCG and it was because he was distracted by the interview process, then that's on McDermott, too.

They went out there and got their asses kicked in embarrassing fashion and they're going to add insult to injury by making excuses via this proposed rule change.

The coaching sucked.  Own it and get better.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2

I remember when I (and others) brought up the notion that it appeared the Offense in particular was struggling once the playoffs were happening and that it could be tied to Daboll trying to balance interviews with game planning / preparation. Several (if not more, I can't recall) were verbally stripped down to the posts essentially saying, "You don't understand how professionals handle themselves", to "That's ridiculous, if they can't get motivated for the playoffs they're not good coaches". Yet, ignored the human element which is intrinsic to all of us: we can only multi-task so many things and presume our focus and performance will remain unimpeded. It can't. 

In the playoffs especially, it takes all of your energy, all of your focus, all of your creativity, and all of your mental acumen to achieve the intended result. AND, you need that from EVERYONE. I like the change and hope they implement it immediately because if the Bills have another banner year, we'll be back to this issue in January 2022.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If Daboll had a crappy day at the office for the AFCCG and it was because he was distracted by the interview process, then that's on McDermott, too.

They went out there and got their asses kicked in embarrassing fashion and they're going to add insult to injury by making excuses via this proposed rule change.

I'm not going to disagree, because "owning it" is exactly what needs to happen. But we would be naïve if we were to assume that there isn't a natural impact on a coach trying to give the opportunity to his subordinates to encourage a healthy culture while also asking them to make their own choices to stay focused on the task at hand. That said, if you remove that option, then the coach doesn't have to make that choice and everyone stays focused until such time as the two week break or later, when they can be formally courted for a promotion. JMO

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I remember when I (and others) brought up the notion that it appeared the Offense in particular was struggling once the playoffs were happening and that it could be tied to Daboll trying to balance interviews with game planning / preparation. Several (if not more, I can't recall) were verbally stripped down to the posts essentially saying, "You don't understand how professionals handle themselves", to "That's ridiculous, if they can't get motivated for the playoffs they're not good coaches". Yet, ignored the human element which is intrinsic to all of us: we can only multi-task so many things and presume our focus and performance will remain unimpeded. It can't. 

In the playoffs especially, it takes all of your energy, all of your focus, all of your creativity, and all of your mental acumen to achieve the intended result. AND, you need that from EVERYONE. I like the change and hope they implement it immediately because if the Bills have another banner year, we'll be back to this issue in January 2022.

I'm not going to disagree, because "owning it" is exactly what needs to happen. But we would be naïve if we were to assume that there isn't a natural impact on a coach trying to give the opportunity to his subordinates to encourage a healthy culture while also asking them to make their own choices to stay focused on the task at hand. That said, if you remove that option, then the coach doesn't have to make that choice and everyone stays focused until such time as the two week break or later, when they can be formally courted for a promotion. JMO

I agree that there is a natural impact.  Every SB winning team - and most teams that go deep into the playoffs - face it every season.

McDermott simply didn't do well managing it.  Andy Reid did.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Gugny said:

I agree that there is a natural impact.  Every SB winning team - and most teams that go deep into the playoffs - face it every season.

Yup, and as we've seen with McDermott and his growth mindset, when he fails at something, he makes it a point to get better at it...so, let's hope that happens here and he learns and matures as a coach to be better.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Thank you for making this post Gugny. You call it like it is, and I like your style. We need to use this as motivation for next year. Don't make excuses, and just go out and kick butt. :-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Football said:

I don’t think this is a big part of their reasoning.

I believe they felt (and both McD and Beane have stated) that they felt their guys were excellent candidates for certain jobs, but the fact that it is difficult to set-up good interviews without a bye and you are eliminating more byes in the playoffs makes it harder for these candidates to get interviews.

This year was perfect with very limited interviews for coaches that were not #1 seeds and they struggled to have sound access to be able to move forward.  The Bills have a positive growth mindset and want to see their players, coaches, and front office staff become the best they can be and if you keep winning- that gets hurt.

I am sure there could be a bit of distraction based concerns as I am sure the interviews and then the uncertainty in both coaching and the players can be distracting, but I think they really thought a guy like Frazier was a great fit for Houston and I am sure the winning and a lack of an available hire date hurts his cause.

• Like (+1) 2

It won't pass. There just isn't enough time for teams starting over. The Senior Bowl happens the week before the Superbowl for a start. But hirings after the Superbowl also gives new regimes only 5 weeks to work stuff out before free agency. It just isn't enough time to self scout your whole roster, scout all the FAs that are out there, negotiate deals with your own guys you wanna keep. And there is no room to slide free agency and the draft back into without truncating the already tiny window that the coaches and front office guys have to take a holiday before camp. 

Good idea in theory. Don't like it in practice. And we lost to Kansas City because we just don't match up well to them. Unless week 6 was because Daboll and Frazier were thinking about Head Coaching jobs too? 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not sure I agree here - the Bills came out and managed to win 2 playoff games with whatever distractions were going on.  The Bills had the same postseason record as KC and played significantly harder teams.  The Chiefs fully healthy nearly lost to the Wild card Browns.  Were they distracted?  Or was it playoff football - which is generally tighter and harder than the regular season.

I don’t think KC handled it better - they had the biggest advantage of all - the bye week to get prepared and ready to go.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane brought this up during the podcast with Sherman and Collinsworth. Basically the coaches can’t be hired until after their playoff run is finished and most teams had hired their new coaches before the Super Bowl. The organization was helping Daboll and Frazier prepare for their interviews during the playoffs. Beane said he felt it was a little unfair they couldn’t get hired until their playoff run was done and most organizations don’t want to wait to long to bring their new coaches so they can get started as soon as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure I agree here - the Bills came out and managed to win 2 playoff games with whatever distractions were going on.  The Bills had the same postseason record as KC and played significantly harder teams.  The Chiefs fully healthy nearly lost to the Wild card Browns.  Were they distracted?  Or was it playoff football - which is generally tighter and harder than the regular season.

I don’t think KC handled it better - they had the biggest advantage of all - the bye week to get prepared and ready to go.

It wasn't preparation. It was in part scheme though. Some people think we should just have thrown away everything we did all year and done something totally different against KC. That really isn't the way the NFL works. You don't get to the Championship game and then try and fundamentally change who you are as a team. The schemes got shown up but it wasn't because the Bills failed to prepare. It is just that what KC do well matches up to our weaknesses and what we do well doesn't really expose theirs.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It won't pass. There just isn't enough time for teams starting over. The Senior Bowl happens the week before the Superbowl for a start. But hirings after the Superbowl also gives new regimes only 5 weeks to work stuff out before free agency. It just isn't enough time to self scout your whole roster, scout all the FAs that are out there, negotiate deals with your own guys you wanna keep. And there is no room to slide free agency and the draft back into without truncating the already tiny window that the coaches and front office guys have to take a holiday before camp. 

Good idea in theory. Don't like it in practice. And we lost to Kansas City because we just don't match up well to them. Unless week 6 was because Daboll and Frazier were thinking about Head Coaching jobs too? 

Yep, this won't work unless they propose pushing everything in the offseason back in addition to this change, and then it'll probably be viewed as too drastic a change for something that isn't really broken in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well how did Andy Reid do coaching the Super Bowl?