Future Buffalo Bill Kyle Rudolph

17 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Dawson Knox showed us something in the playoffs. I don't know that Rudolph is an upgrade

They play different positions even though they’re both Tight Ends.  Rudolph would be an upgrade over Lee Smith.  Allows more 2 Tight End looks and would help the running game.  

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Doc said:

When it comes to players being released, I never post “ watch him sign with the Cheaters.”. But Belicheat is known to love tight ends.

Really?  Not that there is anything wrong with that....apologies if already posted.....I couldn't resist.

16 hours ago, Process said:

Nahh. Would rather get smith, everett or grab someone in the draft. 

Those guys are going to cost quite a bit more. Knox is not nearly as bad as some people make him out to be, and we don't require a really good FA TE right now. I really don't understand why people think the position is a priority given other holes we need to fill, like OT, LB, CB (maybe, though Wallace is fine) and DE. Having a guy who is good at some stuff Knox is not very good at currently seems like the exact type of TE we should bring in on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc said:

I didn't say they'd get him.  Just make a big push for him.

If they are going to make a big push, why would it be for Rudolph and not Smith, Everett, Cook or even Ertz? Why would Rudolph even want to go there when he could come to Buffalo, a much better team? (God that feels so good to say)

1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

If they are going to make a big push, why would it be for Rudolph and not Smith, Everett, Cook or even Ertz? Why would Rudolph even want to go there when he could come to Buffalo, a much better team? (God that feels so good to say)

The others are probably on their radar as well.  There just haven't been any threads on them.

3 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

We said that about Watt.... Money talks.

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

We said that about Watt.... Money talks.

I'd like to think there's a very clear difference between the best pass rusher available who is also a future HOF and all time great vs. Kyle Rudolph. No one is breaking the bank for him.

38 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Not interested.  Believe Knox is the answer.  We also have Sweeney who looked decent.

Have no interest in slowing the progress of Knox by brining in Rudolph.  Would almost be saying Knox is not the answer at TE.  

I think Beane made it clear that they are going to upgrade the tight ends in the offseason.  Knox hasn't shown enough consistency to be any answer other than a #2....he just has the most unreliable hands.

• Agree 1

i still have (slim, very slim) hope that knox improves, partly based on what i thought was a better effort in the playoffs.

but you don't play with 1 TE on the roster, let alone 1 TE on the field all the time.  if he's cheap, i'd totally grab Rudolph.  he'd be our first vet TE who can actually block and catch and isn't a Mash unit in a loooooong time.

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

As opposed to Sir-Drops-Alot?

I’m just saying that $9 million is a lot of coin for a tight end, particularly when you currently don’t have an RG or RT or WLB. AND it likely means you’re handing him a starting job over a 3rd year 3rd round pick. 

It seems like a questionable way to allocate resources in a cap-strapped year.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I’m just saying that $9 million is a lot of coin for a tight end, particularly when you currently don’t have an RG or RT or WLB. AND it likely means you’re handing him a starting job over a 3rd year 3rd round pick. 

I mean we have a draft coming up as well. Unfortunately, this is life in the NFL. You can’t sign great FA’s at every position.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Curious as to where the $9 million figure comes from. If it's from what he was slated to earn with the Vikings, well I seriously doubt he will be getting that from anyone in a hurry.

Of course, I could well be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, but although I rate him as a traditional type of TE, I'm not so sure too many teams actually want that - although it's my belief that the Bills are one who does.

Personally, I think he could make a significant difference to our Offense going forward - especially in the Red Zone - but also as a far better outlet for Allen when under pressure.

Also, just because Daboll didn't use our TEs much, I feel that if he has got one he can trust, then he will get him involved in the gameplan a lot more.

I have no idea how much he might want, or how much the Bills would be prepared to pay, but TE is definitely still a position where the team can improve.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I think Rudolph is a better pass catcher than he gets credit for, he's stuck on a run first team.

I would think this is the best possible move for us this off-season at TE.

In ten years, hes eclipsed 600 yards just twice, and never reached 900 yards mostly playing on pass happy offenses.  

He is a very good Redzone target, but hes never been a monster in the passing game overall.  Heck, hes only broke 500 yards 3 times in 10 years.  

Not saying he would be a bad addition, just think there are more intriguing guys that are available in FA or possibly trade.  I would first look at Everett in FA or kick the tires on sending a day 3 pick for either Ertz, Njoku, or Howard...neither of their teams have any negotiating power, especially since OJ is third on the depth chart and prob wont be back, Njoku is arguably 3rd now on the depth chart and not expected to be a Brown come week 1, and Ertz has his replacement already in place and out producing him...also not expect to be back with his team.  

So trade values on those guys will be way down, especially with a deep TE free agent class too.  

• Like (+1) 1