Gunner's 2021 Mock Draft v1.0 (Two Rounds!)

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It's not that you missed; everyone misses.  It's the conviction that you had about it!  You said to mark the post and quote it back to you, I'm just obliging!  

Yea. I don't hide from it. I missed on Josh. Quote it to me any time. It is the most delighted I have ever been to have missed I can tell you that much. If that means you don't read anything else I write I'd suggest that is your loss but it is also your choice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all..... I spent a couple of hours on this last night so here is my first mock draft of 2021. For those new to the board or unfamiliar I tend to do one pre-free agency, one post and then one i

Thanks for the effort GB. I know that something like this takes time. There is too much work involved to just put this up in a few minutes. Posts like this are what makes this board great.  

The "we must focus on the Chiefs" mindset is over-simplification.    What the Chiefs exposed were problems the team had most of the season.   Easy to forget how much they struggled to put teams away d

Posted Images

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea. I don't hide from it. I missed on Josh. Quote it to me any time. It is the most delighted I have ever been to have missed I can tell you that much. If that means you don't read anything else I write I'd suggest that is your loss but it is also your choice.

I don't have a problem reading anything you write; most of it agree with.  I'm bored tonight, so I am trolling through the archive folder on the day Josh was drafted.  Your take in comparison was pretty mild to many of the other posters.   At least you had the candor to own up to it.  

• Like (+1) 1
1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I don't have a problem reading anything you write; most of it agree with.  I'm bored tonight, so I am trolling through the archive folder on the day Josh was drafted.  Your take in comparison was pretty mild to many of the other posters.   At least you had the candor to own up to it.  

Never run from the ones you get wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Later you said this, "Will I hope Allen fails? Of course I won't, I hope I have to eat an almighty bowl of crow. I hope I become known as the guy who doubted Josh Allen..."

...and you did, so kudos to you.

I got the same "you are rooting against the Bills" when I said Mike Evans and Morgan Moses were going to be better pros than Sammy Watkins and Cyrus Koundjio too. On that occasion I was spared the crow. 

• Like (+1) 2
2 hours ago, NewEra said:

So you want to bring back the entirety of one of the worst run blocking lines in the league?  

Maybe it was the scheme....but maybe it wasn’t.  I’m really afraid to bring back the same line unless we can get Mongo for 4-5M and Williams 7-9M.  

It was also one of the best pass blocking lines in the league and I do put the blame in terms of the poor run blocking more so on a variety of factors. The first being the line shuffling around a lot, Mongo, Mitch, and Ford were shuffled around the lineup and Ike wasn't a consistent part of the line for half the season. The second as you mentioned being the scheme. The last being the success of the passing game leading to a lack of grinding down of defensive lines. It is a passing league and if I can retain Mongo for a deal similar to Spain (5-6 million aav) or just a tid bit more and Williams for 9-10 million aav I do it. I am willing to "overpay" a bit for Williams as I think he was arguably the best O-line player, is in his prime for his position (he will be 29 in 2021 and O-line players tend to play well into their early 30's) but I get the injury concern although he has been fairly healthy 3 out of the last 4 seasons, so I think that is overstated a bit. 

I think given your limited draft resources and the win now window it would be a mistake to draft a rookie up high for what could be a possible downgrade (certainly very risky given learning curve of O-line play in the league the past 10ish years) in play at a critical position. I am not saying you massively overpay for either but I give them each a good offer as I don't want to create holes for an O-line unit that was very good at protecting Josh and I think can be good at creating holes if they stay fairly healthy and adjust their scheme/game calling. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It was also one of the best pass blocking lines in the league and I do put the blame in terms of the poor run blocking more so on a variety of factors. The first being the line shuffling around a lot, Mongo, Mitch, and Ford were shuffled around the lineup and Ike wasn't a consistent part of the line for half the season. The second as you mentioned being the scheme. The last being the success of the passing game leading to a lack of grinding down of defensive lines. It is a passing league and if I can retain Mongo for a deal similar to Spain (5-6 million aav) or just a tid bit more and Williams for 9-10 million aav I do it. I am willing to "overpay" a bit for Williams as I think he was arguably the best O-line player, is in his prime for his position (he will be 29 in 2021 and O-line players tend to play well into their early 30's) but I get the injury concern although he has been fairly healthy 3 out of the last 4 seasons, so I think that is overstated a bit. 

I think given your limited draft resources and the win now window it would be a mistake to draft a rookie up high for what could be a possible downgrade (certainly very risky given learning curve of O-line play in the league the past 10ish years) in play at a critical position. I am not saying you massively overpay for either but I give them each a good offer as I don't want to create holes for an O-line unit that was very good at protecting Josh and I think can be good at creating holes if they stay fairly healthy and adjust their scheme/game calling. 

Good points.  I just don’t want to see the same line out there again under the direction of Daboll.  I don’t want our season to depend on Feliciano having success vs Chris Jones.  He looked like a little boy being rag dolled by a bully.  It was embarrassing.  I hope they learned their lesson watching Josh run for his life as our season faded away.  The great pass blocking line you speak of, wasn’t so great vs the DL we’ll have to go through again next season.  The same defense that played dime the entire game because they knew our OL couldn’t open a hole in the run game to save their season.  

maybe a Daboll will switch up the scheme and find success with it. Their so-so defense dominated our offense two times last year.  It might be a fireable offense if our season ends in the same fashion with the same OL.  We were embarrassed.

On 2/21/2021 at 4:44 AM, GunnerBill said:

30 Buffalo Bills – Greg Newsome, Cornerback, Northwestern

Talking of guys sneaking into round 1 Greg Newsome out of Northwestern is one of my biggest draft crushes. He is raw but his skillset is the dream combination of size, speed, athleticism and recognition skills is what NFL defensive coordinators dream of. He has the potential to form the best corner combination in the NFL with Tre White on the other side.

The more I read about this guy @GunnerBill, the more I’m falling in love. 

I didn’t think I wanted a CB in RD1, but I’d be extremely happy with Newsome at 30. Unfortunately, it looks like you’re right and he’s catching some helium in media outlets and across the league. 

• Agree 1
40 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The more I read about this guy @GunnerBill, the more I’m falling in love. 

I didn’t think I wanted a CB in RD1, but I’d be extremely happy with Newsome at 30. Unfortunately, it looks like you’re right and he’s catching some helium in media outlets and across the league. 

If all this mock did was cause people to go and actually look at this guy I will take that as a win. Really good prospect.

• Like (+1) 1
9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If all this mock did was cause people to go and actually look at this guy I will take that as a win. Really good prospect.

I should add that I really enjoyed this mock draft. 

I’ve been poking around on here for years, but I’ve somehow never seen any of your mocks. It’s a shame, because this is impressive. 

I absolutely love content like this. I look forward to the rest of the series! 

• Like (+1) 1
5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

@GunnerBill.... have you ever mocked the bills in the 30s? 

Haha, nope. It is really hard because there are so many unknowns. There were a lot of years where you could narrow the Bills pick down to 3 or max 4 guys because of where they were. Makes a nice change!

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha, nope. It is really hard because there are so many unknowns. There were a lot of years where you could narrow the Bills pick down to 3 or max 4 guys because of where they were. Makes a nice change!

Did you mock Stefon Diggs last year? 😉

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Everyone misses....Gunner gets it right more often then not

• Thank you (+1) 1

Great read, and putting this together must have taken hours! 

I just think if Harris or Etienne are there at 30, the Bills take the RB. Moss is a fine rotational back, but Singletary regressed badly year 2 and unless the Bills feel Antonio Williams can be the guy, they need a back desperately just to even hint at a running game.

• Thank you (+1) 1
18 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Great read, and putting this together must have taken hours! 

I just think if Harris or Etienne are there at 30, the Bills take the RB. Moss is a fine rotational back, but Singletary regressed badly year 2 and unless the Bills feel Antonio Williams can be the guy, they need a back desperately just to even hint at a running game.

Not my first preference, but I'm good with Harris. It is a plug and play position so that is a plus too. 

• Like (+1) 1

For what it is worth Matt Miller (formerly of Bleacher Report, now ESPN) has started his own subscription draft site and he posted his "What I would do" mock this morning and had the Bills taking Newsome at #31.

Zaven Collins went the pick before them at #29 to Green Bay for the big Collins fans.

• Like (+1) 1