Gunner's 2021 FINAL Mock Draft on PAGE 21

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I mostly agree, can't get too excited about drafting a CB2 in the 1st round. But we're talking about pick #30. There aren't going to be any options that will blow you away at that spot. Doing some reading on Newsome he does look like a perfect scheme fit and a good complement for what we get from White. He seems athletic enough to keep up with the Tyreek Hills of the league. Also with Milano likely walking and the front 4 likely seeing modest at best improvements this offseason, we might need better coverage on the back end if we want our defense to have any chance of stopping good offenses. So personally I would rather we draft a different position but if we pick a CB2 as long as they actually have athleticism like Newsome does I'll be satisfied. If we draft a slow, low upside "instinctual" corner that is a pick I would hate.

Here’s the thing...I don’t necessarily mean a WR when I say playmaker. It could be an athletic TE like Pat Freiermuth or we could be sitting in a good spot to get one of the top RBs. 

10 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Here’s the thing...I don’t necessarily mean a WR when I say playmaker. It could be an athletic TE like Pat Freiermuth or we could be sitting in a good spot to get one of the top RBs. 

So you could take Najee Harris. I don't think that is awful talent value but my views on the positional value are well known. Freiermuth it would be reaching down the board IMO. Now if we traded back to I don't know... pick #40.... then I think it starts to become an option. 

10 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Is he that athletic?  When I watch him, I see more of a Kyle Rudolph type.  His run after catch is close to nonexistent from what I’ve seen.  He doesn’t get much separation iirc

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Gunner:  Would you take Nixon or Phillips over the CB if they were there?  Just askin.  I hope they are!!

Phillips possibly. I have a slightly higher grade on Newsome at the moment. But it is close enough I'd consider the positional need. The concussions are a concern though. A legit concern. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The Bills offense was fantastic for most of 2020 though and it went beyond Diggs... I hope we are not reading too much into what happened in the Chiefs playoff game though... there are some excuses.. the Bills receivers were a little nicked up.. the refs allowed them to get mugged all day and the Bills coaches called a conservative game plan...

I think every decision we make this offseason needs to be with the mindset of beating the Chiefs. They aren't a flash in the pan team, they'll be our primary obstacle to the Super Bowl for years to come. The two biggest things we need to beat them are pass rush and home run threats on offense. I'm not banking on us getting a stud pass rusher at #30 so we'll have to address that in free agency. So if Toney or Etienne are available that's the direction I'd go. We're missing explosiveness on both sides of the ball. That's why I'd be okay trading up for Owusu-Koramoah or Toney. Get some speed on this team to match up with the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think I would very seriously consider trading down 5-10 spots in that scenario for the Bills. Obviously this was a no trade mock.

Playing around with the simulator makes me think this is a good option too.  There seems to be a lot of talent in the 50-80 range, and trading back with one of Cin, Car, Den, and Det wouldn't be a bad move. They'd still get a good CB, LB, or OL at the 40ish pick.  Can't remember which mock I saw, but it was a trade back for Bills and mentioned teams like the 5th-year option for an R1 pick.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I think every decision we make this offseason needs to be with the mindset of beating the Chiefs. They aren't a flash in the pan team, they'll be our primary obstacle to the Super Bowl for years to come. The two biggest things we need to beat them are pass rush and home run threats on offense. I'm not banking on us getting a stud pass rusher at #30 so we'll have to address that in free agency. So if Toney or Etienne are available that's the direction I'd go. We're missing explosiveness on both sides of the ball. That's why I'd be okay trading up for Owusu-Koramoah or Toney. Get some speed on this team to match up with the Chiefs.

Agree with this mostly... still not sure I'd go Etienne but I understand the logic.... it is the "see him as McCaffrey not as CJ2K" who you are going to run 10 times a game and target 6 times a game as a receiver. Part of the reason I think Newsome was the right pick on that board is if you ask me who has a better chance of being elite at his position in 5 years time Greg Newsome or Boogie Basham or Alex Leatherwood I don't even hesitate. It's Newsome. He might have a lower floor than those two guys possibly but we need to take some swings on difference makers. We have plenty of good players. Get some guys who are going to make some game turning plays. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

if you ask me who has a better chance of being elite at his position in 5 years time Greg Newsome or Boogie Basham or Alex Leatherwood I don't even hesitate. It's Newsome. He might have a lower floor than those two guys possibly but we need to take some swings on difference makers. We have plenty of good players. Get some guys who are going to make some game turning plays. 

Yeah that's the type of player we need to take the next step in our Super Bowl aspirations. I'm totally against drafting any o-line or d-line player in the 1st round this year. In general I don't like drafting o-linemen in the 1st outside of LT and the value at d-line won't be there this year. Reading up on Newsome I would be okay with the pick. Sounds like he has a knack for getting his hands on the ball and plays fast. My one reservation is I don't know that upgrading Levi Wallace makes a difference in beating the Chiefs. I want my 1st round pick to make that kind of difference now. Unfortunately at #30 that type of player probably won't be available. I know you don't like drafting a RB in the 1st but if Etienne is still there he would be the one player that could make that kind of difference.

Edited by HappyDays

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Everyone always wants to trade down, I just don't see an opportunity to do so this year. There aren't going to be blue chip players available at #30 that teams will want to give up picks for. Maybe if a team at the top of round 2 really likes Leatherwood and wants to jump the Chiefs for him? That's the only trade down scenario I could foresee.

More likely I think is that Beane will look to trade up. If Owusu-Koramoah or Toney fall into the 20s I could see us giving up our 3rd to get one of them. Both are perfect fits for the Bills as needs and scheme matches. Beane isn't the type to sit and hope he gets his guy. He wants to draft day 1 impact starters in the 1st round.

Agree here.

It's all about the impact. 

I'd love Toney. Josh would have fun with him. 

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The only thing they need is pass rush and at least a threat of a run game. Resrructure Brown's deal and keep letting Knox develop and the offense will be fine. I would love another playmaker at TE but right now the only thing that matters is getting a pass rush from the front 4. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah that's the type of player we need to take the next step in our Super Bowl aspirations. I'm totally against drafting any o-line or d-line player in the 1st round this year. In general I don't like drafting o-linemen in the 1st outside of LT and the value at d-line won't be there this year. Reading up on Newsome I would be okay with the pick. Sounds like he has a knack for getting his hands on the ball and plays fast. My one reservation is I don't know that upgrading Levi Wallace makes a difference in beating the Chiefs. I want my 1st round pick to make that kind of difference now. Unfortunately at #30 that type of player probably won't be available. I know you don't like drafting a RB in the 1st but if Etienne is still there he would be the one player that could make that kind of difference.

So my thinking on the how does a guy like Newsome help you beat the Chiefs is he allows you to do something different with your coverage. The Bills have basically run a defense for 3 years predicated on allowing you to have a completion to Levi's side of the field pretty much whenever you want it. But it will be short to intermediate, Levi and the safeties will come up and tackle and then as soon as you make a mistake, a penalty, a drop, a sack we will defend the sticks on 3rd down and get you off the field. The problem is the Chiefs don't make that many mistakes and having that safe option to Levi's side means they are dictating to you because whatever else you do they know "okay we probably have a quick throw out there." Newsome allows you to take a few more risks with your corners and come up and challenge the Chiefs a bit at the line. It isn't enough on its own, granted. But I do think we kind of have to have Mahomes thinking he has nowhere to go with the ball. That is one part of the puzzle.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I could see a team trading up for Mac Jones at 30 to get the 5 years of control.. Denver perhaps takes another shot at QB..?

I think Toney is a luxury the Bills cant afford this year... What would a good year look for him in 2021 considering the other WR's on the team...500 yards?

We dont even know that they are moving on from Brown yet.. he might end up restructuring ....

I could maybe live it with at Pick 30 but giving up the third as well... yeesh...

I'm assuming Brown isn't back.

If Toney is there, you grab him. We need to keep churning out good WRs. Compared to what else might be there - you do this.

We'd be lucky to have him fall to us.

3 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

If Toney is there, you grab him. We need to keep churning out good WRs. Compared to what else might be there - you do this.

Not to mention you really have to look at the scheme fit there.....if Brown and Mckenzie are not back you really lose that element of the offense.....I assume the OC is still gonna want to run those plays that McKenzie excelled at

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Not to mention you really have to look at the scheme fit there.....if Brown and Mckenzie are not back you really lose that element of the offense.....I assume the OC is still gonna want to run those plays that McKenzie excelled at

Toney reminds me of Percy Harvin.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And we run more 4 and 5 wide than any team in the league in 2020. If you are gonna do that you better keep drafting receivers and ideally guys with speed who can exploit being matched on a 5th defensive back or a linebacker.

1 hour ago, McBean said:

If Najee Harris is on the board at #30 and we don’t take him, I’m going to punch a hole in my wall.

He’s Buffalo and can do it all.

Give me our 2021-2030 Thurman Thomas.

not a chance in hell.. he is slipping into the mid teens now. Enteinne might not even be there. 

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The "we must focus on the Chiefs" mindset is over-simplification.    What the Chiefs exposed were problems the team had most of the season.   Easy to forget how much they struggled to put teams away defensively for 3 months because they had some late season games that skewed the perception.    The issues only "re-emerged" against Indy and were greatly exaggerated by very poor coaching and a lack of poise in KC.  They are a solid roster with an elite QB but they can't just focus on filling holes because new ones will always emerge.    They can address the needs in free agency but the draft should be as it always should be.........the place to find high ceiling players at the most expensive positions early and then getting bpa on day 3 and UDFA.    Beat the Chiefs long term by drafting better not by drafting to match up with them.   Those players might not be difference makers for 2-3 years and a lot can change in that time.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The post I was referring to wants to trade up .. do you want to give up first and third for him?  

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The "we must focus on the Chiefs" mindset is over-simplification.    What the Chiefs exposed were problems the team had most of the season.   Easy to forget how much they struggled to put teams away defensively for 3 months because they had some late season games that skewed the perception.    The issues only "re-emerged" against Indy and were greatly exaggerated by very poor coaching and a lack of poise in KC.  They are a solid roster with an elite QB but they can't just focus on filling holes because new ones will always emerge.    They can address the needs in free agency but the draft should be as it always should be.........the place to find high ceiling players at the most expensive positions early and then getting bpa on day 3 and UDFA.    Beat the Chiefs long term by drafting better not by drafting to match up with them.   Those players might not be difference makers for 2-3 years and a lot can change in that time.

Chiefs lost because of O'Line Injuries that caught up with them and the inability to punch it in, in the redzone. Something that plagued them at the end of the regular season. the third reason was a solid running game to counter balance what the chiefs do..  Us being one dimensional was our issue.