Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Last season we let two of our best players go (Phillips and Lawson) and the defense definitely wasn't the same.  If we lose Milano we'll be losing another top player on defense.  Last year we had like 100 million in cap room so I don't understand how we couldn't have signed some of these guys to contract extensions.  

they could have.  They didn’t want to pay them what they were offered because they would have been on the hook for those contracts for minimum 2 years.  Ask Miami and Arizona how they feel about those contract after last season

I like Milano, but do not think he’s a top level LB due to injury history. Let the man test the market & see what he’s offered. If the Bills don’t want to match the offer we will have to move on. I’m thinking his best offer will be 4 years at 9.0-12.0m a year with 20-25m fully guaranteed. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And I doubt even if Houston trades Watson they do so in division. I think they genuinely would rather he sit out the next 4 years than face him twice per season! The other options on the market are:

1. Jimmy G - San Fran was apparently well in the market for Stafford. It is pretty clear to me that they are moving on whether that is to Watson or to a trade up and a rookie. 

2. Jared Goff - don't laugh. Detroit could still draft a guy IMO at #7. Would the Colts be willing to flip their first round pick for Goff? I just think the cost for them of moving up to draft one is likely prohibitive. Detroit, a rebuilding team, gets Indy's #1 and now have six first rounders in the next 3 drafts and a chance at #7 to take their own. Indy meanwhile has Goff at a very reasonable $26m AAV for the next 4 years. It is not as impossible as it sounds. 

3. Carson Wentz - I wouldn't do it but Reich does seem to like him. 

4. Nick Foles. Frank likes him too.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Haha, it's a good problem to have when we are mostly worried about our All-Pro Pro Bowl LBs maybe not being All Pro Pro Bowl, and not about how we find a franchise QB like a lot of teams are right now.

Dead on about his play recognition and being easily manipulated.

I go back to Kuechly. I didnt even follow the Panthers but I can remember Kuechly making plays in the passing game pretty often. At least breaking up passes, or tipping balls, or tipping balls so they turn into INTs, etc. But I can't name ONE good play in pass defense that Edmunds has made. And he has far more speed and lengthy range the Kuechly, but he's never in the right spot to make the play.

With his height and wing span there should be no plays over the middle on this D. Yet that is where we get eaten alive.

Edmunds made a great play in the second (I think) quarter blowing up a WR screen to Hardman.  It was a second and 1 play, and it was set up so well that I thought it might be a house call, but Edmunds dodged the block and stopped the play for a 2 yard gain.  It reminded me of the sweep Allen ran against the Texans last season.

On 2/3/2021 at 6:56 AM, NJKBillsfan said:

Last season we let two of our best players go (Phillips and Lawson) and the defense definitely wasn't the same.  If we lose Milano we'll be losing another top player on defense.  Last year we had like 100 million in cap room so I don't understand how we couldn't have signed some of these guys to contract extensions.  

Question to ask is if Phillips and Lawson shone on their new teams.  Agreed they played better than the scrubs we hired as replacements...but the replacements were much cheaper and both (Laswson and Phillips) would have large cap hits in 2021 and 2022....the year we need to prune cap space.   It was a tough decision but the right decision

6 hours ago, hjnick said:

Which LB is normally trying to cover the TE???  Milano or Edmunds? 

The Bills play zone defense.  So the answer to your question depends on where the TE lines up and what route he's running.

Draft a newer, faster LB and let Milano go.

What LBs in the draft are faster than Milano?

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

See if you can trade Milano rts for a pick.  Otherwise 1 year deal and search for replacement 

Milano is a free agent.  Free agent's rights don't belong to any team, therefore the team can not trade them

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Question to ask is if Phillips and Lawson shone on their new teams.  Agreed they played better than the scrubs we hired as replacements...but the replacements were much cheaper

Were they?

They were signed to shorter contracts with less guaranteed money I believe, but I don't think they were that much cheaper.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills play zone defense.  So the answer to your question depends on where the TE lines up and what route he's running.

Milano is a free agent.  Free agent's rights don't belong to any team, therefore the team can not trade them

Were they?

They were signed to shorter contracts with less guaranteed money I believe, but I don't think they were that much cheaper.

Is he already or when does FA period start... thought it was later and Bills still had his rights til then?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Were they?

Baron Browning but... I’m personally not down on taking a LB that high (pre 3rd)

Just now, Chicharito said:

I feel we can almost say he’s going to be with New England next year.

Not sure him going there moves the needle of them being a threat to the Bills ...

They aren’t even on my radar until I see what they do at QB and there aren’t a lot of upgrades available that might end up there in my view...

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not sure him going there moves the needle of them being a threat to the Bills ...

They aren’t even on my radar until I see what they do at QB and there aren’t a lot of upgrades available that might end up there in my view...

Well I hope your correct.  Seems to be a lot of QB movement this off season and Billy B is always a threat until he retires.  

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Well I hope your correct.  Seems to be a lot of QB movement this off season and Billy B is always a threat until he retires.  

Yeah there is a lot of QB movement and they need someone.. Just dont see them getting one of the best guys in the draft as they are coming from too low...nor can I see a big FA name moving there....

I can see them with Jimmy G, Carr or maybe even Matt Ryan after Atlanta drafts their guy, and whilst they are better than what they had this year,  I think the Bills can deal with it...

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Were they?

I'm not sure which draft LBs are faster than Milano, but I would use or 1st or 2nd rounder to replace Milano unless we already have a LB in waiting that we think can replace Milano.

We need a LB that can make Kelce work.  We have to bring in players to stop the KC offense.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, hjnick said:

I'm not sure which draft LBs are faster than Milano, but I would use or 1st or 2nd rounder to replace Milano unless we already have a LB in waiting that we think can replace Milano.

We need a LB that can make Kelce work.  We have to bring in players to stop the KC offense.

I don't love spending another first round pick on defense, but a lot of the stud linebackers are projected to go late first round.  Nick Bolton is mocked to us in multiple draft projections.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hjnick said:

If they want to burn an early day 2 pick on a LB, Baron Browning is an option to upgrade in size/speed from Milano. Offers coverage and pass rush ability 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/baron-browning/uPpSp2BTNa

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they want to burn an early day 2 pick on a LB, Baron Browning is an option to upgrade in size/speed from Milano. Offers coverage and pass rush ability 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/baron-browning/uPpSp2BTNa

I think our optimal way to go (and it takes 2 to tango), but if we could trade our 1st round pick, drop back into the early second round and obtain an extra pick or 2. 

Then with that 2nd round pick, get a LB to replace Milano.  Later in the draft I want to get Chubba Hubbard, probably a 3rd or 4th round pick.  Dude is FAST!