Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

The link is the Patriots tie in at Houston now; they may feel they'll be able to get something out of Jimmy G, though fitness has to be a question mark at the moment. But it sounds liek Caserio is going to try and fight to keep Watson there - no idea how.

I do:  tell him he's not being traded. 

• Agree 5

Just now, Doc said:

I do:  tell him he's not being traded. 

How would they benefit though, unless they somehow convince Watson not to go on strike? As it is they can get a lot out of the trade to allow Caserio and Culley to start building the team they want.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-texans-committed-qb-zero-interest/1o5ymt6cjwdbs1dh7rev96l5b5

Nick Caserio pre-emptively on Watson: "Just want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson ... we look forward to the opportunity to spend more time with him this spring when we get started, we have zero interest in trading the player." pic.twitter.com/aG3NgowDNq

— Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) January 29, 2021

Culley couldn't avoid those questions but, when asked about the situation, said "the reason I'm in this position today is because I knew he's going to be a Houston Texan." He added he wasn't aware that Watson had requested a trade at the time Houston was interviewing him for the job.

David Culley: "Deshaun Watson is a Houston Texan. He's the quarterback of the Houston Texans ... He is a Houston Texan, and I want him to be a Houston Texan, and the reason I'm in this position today is because I knew he's going to be a Houston Texan." pic.twitter.com/W8v2PT3j8n

— Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) January 29, 2021

Houston also has several tactics to dissuade Watson from sitting out:

Here's Houston's leverage, if used:

*Can fine Deshaun Watson $95,877 for missing minicamp.

*Can fine him $50,000 per day for each day of training camp missed, plus one week salary -- $620,000 -- for each preseason game missed.

*If he retires, Texans can collect $21.6 million.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 28, 2021

I believe during the regular season, he can be assessed 1/16 of his signing bonus and 1/16 of his salary for every week he holds out, also.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

How would they benefit though, unless they somehow convince Watson not to go on strike? As it is they can get a lot out of the trade to allow Caserio and Culley to start building the team they want.

How did they benefit with him playing last season?  They went 4-12 and got the 3rd overall pick, which they had to ship to Miami in exchange for acquiring a Pro Bowl LT to protect Watson they year before.  Again he sits out he loses tons of money and at worst the Texans pick 1st or 2nd overall and this time get to keep the pick.

Edited by Doc

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Next week it will leak that Watson was "really serious" when he asked for a trade

and maybe it will leak that Caserio was really serious when he said "we have zero interest in trading the player" and Cully was really serious when he said ""the reason I'm in this position today is because I knew he's going to be a Houston Texan."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-texans-committed-qb-zero-interest/1o5ymt6cjwdbs1dh7rev96l5b5

I believe during the regular season, he can be assessed 1/16 of his signing bonus and 1/16 of his salary for every week he holds out, also.

1/64 of signing bonus since it was a 4 year contract.

I find this Watson thing fascinating. We really haven't seen this in the NFL before: elite QB demanding a trade, implying that he'd sit out rather than continue playing for his current team. It's not a money/restructure my contract thing; it's a "I don't want to play for this stinking franchise anymore" thing.

It's commonplace in the NBA, and it works (see most recently Harden, James). If it works for Watson it will set a precedent.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

and maybe it will leak that Caserio was really serious when he said "we have zero interest in trading the player" and Cully was really serious when he said ""the reason I'm in this position today is because I knew he's going to be a Houston Texan."

It's odd because on NFLN they were saying that Houston and not Watson leaked the trade request. I don't understand what this gets them, but if it's an issue with Watson and the owner this could go the Palmer route. They could end up poisoning themselves like Jacksonville if they alienate a respected guy. 

Texans brass all making it 100% clear that when he's traded its Watson's fault.  

"We wanted him here.  We did all we could.  He just didn't like it here.  It's unfortunate.  We feel bad for our fans.  But we feel very good about Tua Tagovailoa.  We're excited about our 10 picks this year and 10 more next year."  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I find this Watson thing fascinating. We really haven't seen this in the NFL before: elite QB demanding a trade, implying that he'd sit out rather than continue playing for his current team. It's not a money/restructure my contract thing; it's a "I don't want to play for this stinking franchise anymore" thing.

It's commonplace in the NBA, and it works (see most recently Harden, James). If it works for Watson it will set a precedent.

Carson Palmer did.  He eventually got his wish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

The link is the Patriots tie in at Houston now; they may feel they'll be able to get something out of Jimmy G, though fitness has to be a question mark at the moment. But it sounds like Caserio is going to try and fight to keep Watson there - no idea how.

Edit: 'like' not 'liek'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Carson Palmer did.  He eventually got his wish.

Except he threatened to retire and had $80M in the bank.  Plus the Bengals were ready to move on as well.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup.

Culley's comments indicate to me that he interviewed for the job to work with Watson (among other factors), and that upon accepting the job "knew" (past tense) that Watson would be the QB. That actually seems, to me, to highlight the dishonesty of Houston management/ownership. They didn't even mention to him that their franchise player had requested a trade something like a week or two (or three) prior? Someone isn't being forthright, anyways. And according to Watson, there is a history of this with McNair and Easterby. I'm sure almost everyone of any significance employed in the NFL is hearing this stuff through agents before we are, so I'm not casting Culley as some innocent patsy here. Just trying to piece together a reasonable take.

The sudden leak by the team of Watson's trade request was to prevent the newly hired coach from being blamed, right? That's the way I'm reading it. 

23 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Culley's comments indicate to me that he interviewed for the job to work with Watson (among other factors), and that upon accepting the job "knew" (past tense) that Watson would be the QB. That actually seems, to me, to highlight the dishonesty of Houston management/ownership. They didn't even mention to him that their franchise player had requested a trade something like a week or two (or three) prior? Someone isn't being forthright, anyways. And according to Watson, there is a history of this with McNair and Easterby. I'm sure almost everyone of any significance employed in the NFL is hearing this stuff through agents before we are, so I'm not casting Culley as some innocent patsy here. Just trying to piece together a reasonable take.

The sudden leak by the team of Watson's trade request was to prevent the newly hired coach from being blamed, right? That's the way I'm reading it. 

Or he was assured that Watson was not being traded, meaning that Watson will have no choice but to report (or face massive fines). 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

Wandered across this piece from a Phins fan site and thought the perspective was interesting.

https://phinphanatic.com/2021/01/29/deshaun-watson-force-way-off-miami-dolphins/

Fundamentally, their take is:

-Houston has been in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years (not quite correct, 2 of the last 3 or 4 of the last 6)

-Watson just inked a huge new contract

-Things happen and we saw Houston go into a tailspin last year

-"What happens if the Dolphins throw all their draft capital to the Texans for Watson and regress? Will he want out of Miami then too?"

Seems like a reasonable question for fans of a team trading for Watson to ask.  If the guy is gonna ink a big contract in Houston and then pitch a snit and say he's done with the team and demand a trade 5 months later from the Texans, what would stop him from doing the same thing to his new team if a year or two go by and it's not all peaches and playoffs?

Carson Palmer asked to be traded and retired rather than play for Cincy after 7 or 8 seasons.  The Raiders ruined themselves with draft picks and salary to trade for him and didn't get much for it under the circumstances, only to flip him to Zona 2 years later for a fraction of what they gave up. 

Giving up a lot for a dissatisfied starter from another team doesn't always work too well for the buyer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct I meant 1/16 of the amortized signing bonus assigned to that year, but wasn't clear.  Might be 1/17th

If they add a game in last 3 years it will be 1/((16+17+17+17)/4).  It will create lots of fun for accountants.

As a honors math major I find those discussions real interesting.