What are your ideas to fix the Bills' running game for next year?

Logic

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well pundits are pundits because they're not scouts

And you see closer to draft day that they have tons of evaluations that are way off the mark, and they're only corrected when they actually got their info from scouts who are in the trenches

And scouts are scouts because there aren't enough better jobs as gym teachers.

Here's how the system works:

The NFL knows scouting is a very inexact science.

They pay their scouts accordingly.........very little.

Draftniks pay attention and $ to a network of needy scouts to help them put a framework of players together.

They follow the tips and probably at least scout that framework.

If Mitch Morse isn't in that framework..........he is either ignored or assumed to be something that teams of regional scouts have totally missed.

Which is rarely the case.........but at the same time for every Mitch Morse there is a TJ Graham.

"Surprise Bills fans!   Nobody had us taking TJ Graham so early.......see those dumb "pundits"."

The NFL is one of the few industries where the formula for making the product is more valuable as a product for public consumption than as a trade secret. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And scouts are scouts because there aren't enough better jobs as gym teachers.

Here's how the system works:

The NFL knows scouting is a very inexact science.

They pay their scouts accordingly.........very little.

Draftniks pay attention and $ to a network of needy scouts to help them put a framework of players together.

They follow the tips and probably at least scout that framework.

If Mitch Morse isn't in that framework..........he is either ignored or assumed to be something that teams of regional scouts have totally missed.

Which is rarely the case.........but at the same time for every Mitch Morse there is a TJ Graham.

"Surprise Bills fans!   Nobody had us taking TJ Graham so early.......see those dumb "pundits"."

The NFL is one of the few industries where the formula for making the product is more valuable as a product for public consumption than as a trade secret. 

You don't have to tell me how it works

I've been a regional scout for 20 years. You don't have to remind me how little it pays or how it works

All last draft season I was saying Caesar ruiz would guaranteed be the first interior lineman off the board 

But I got a lot of flack here because pundits had him as a third fourth round pick. But I've actually watched him and got people in the trenches

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Hit the offensive line coach and the running backs coach, the O line men and the running backs on the testicals every time they get it wrong... after the second time those boys screw up their are gonna start getting it right for certain...

Edited by Don Otreply

On 2/4/2021 at 2:42 PM, Aaronthebaron said:

A speed running back. As seldom as we run the ball, we need a back that threatens the D with long run potential. A bruiser doesn’t work for what we do. 

I'm done with the slow (5-9) bruiser who can't read holes. Singletary falls into this category. He sucks at receiving and his pass blocking is inconsistent. I know we're stuck with him because of his cheap contract but I don't want him starting. Give me Etienne or Harris if Carlos Basham is gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

they will run better once they commit to practice run blocking and actually run the ball - preferrably from spread formations & draw plays

this year had no practice time and it was all about Josh and the passing game

run game was sacrificed

made the AFCCG so no big deal

will be better next year - without adding any shiny, expensive new RB

On 1/25/2021 at 12:57 PM, NewEra said:

The run game coordinator for the niners is the new OC for the jets iirc.  

I agree with the rest. It’s a lot of change and I don’t think that we’ll see 3 new interior OL......but I’d like to.  

We I do believe we need a big upgrade at RB.  Maybe a trade back from 30 if we had 3 2nd rd picks, use one on Kenneth Gainwell or Javonte Williams.  

I like this line of thinking. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, Buffalo716 said:

You don't have to tell me how it works

I've been a regional scout for 20 years. You don't have to remind me how little it pays or how it works

All last draft season I was saying Caesar ruiz would guaranteed be the first interior lineman off the board 

But I got a lot of flack here because pundits had him as a third fourth round pick. But I've actually watched him and got people in the trenches

Hey, @Buffalo716, any chance to persuade you to do profiles of OL in this year's draft esp. C/G?  I have no strong opinion on when to draft one but I feel we need to bring in starting-level talent at OL, especially the interior.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely ✌️👍

And pm me your report on Kenneth Gainwell and how you think he would fit in our offense please!! 🙏🏻

Antonio Gibson was my crush last year.

Kenneth Gainwell in 2021.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/3/2021 at 5:06 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I've been working my way through this and now I'm all hella depressed. 

Now I have to give Turner and crew the benefit of the doubt that the plays they selected are representative of the whole, and not cherry-picked

But Woof.

Interesting graphic I cut out of it.  (All run plays called plays to RBs only)

Gap vs Zone runs, 2019  Gap: 156 run plays Zone: 110 run plays

image.thumb.png.8c79bd219cff4c8d3758a7a97f5f0096.png

Gap vs Zone runs, 2020.  Gap: 62 run plays Zone: 181 run plays.

image.thumb.png.8829a474b13a2934a7ecb8461f5511ba.png

23 fewer run plays in 2020 than 2019, or 1.4 plays per game, but 242 less rush yards (excluding Allen's yards)

What I got out of it:

-We stopped gap runs because we just couldn't execute them this season

-Very seldom had all 3 phases of run game clicking at once.  If OL blocked well, TE missed block.  If OL and TE blocked well, RB misread and chose wrong hole.

-Williams was NOT the solid blocker in the run game I had thought him to be, and run plays that I had initially blamed another OLman for blew up because he whiffed.

-When he played, Ford's run blocking was at times clueless, and at other times simply ineffective.  If Ford is the answer to the run blocking at guard, What the Hell is the question?

-TE blocking from Knox was very inconsistent.  He did block well at times, but too many others just totally Linda Ronstadt (HEY KNOX!  YER GUY JUST BLUE BAYOU!)

Ay yi yi.

Our OL can't block

Our 1 TE can't block

Our 2 rbs are slow

.....so as Daboll puts it here's what he says to Josh...." so we need you to throw the ball 80% of the time. The remaining plays will be either designed runs or scrambles by you.  Go get em kid"......