Jump to content

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Bills at Chiefs, Sunday 6:40 pm on CBS


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

And Josh arguably had his worst game of the season against the Titans.  He also had a shoulder injury in both that and the KC game the next week.  Just Saying.

wrong game. thats from 2019. the week after he got knocked out of the pats game..... its just evidence that players can come back within a week of a concussion.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through two weeks of the playoffs Josh is 49/72 (68%) for 530 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs.  He also has 54 yards rushing and a TD.  Mistake-free football against VERY good defenses who know the Bills don

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

And Josh arguably had his worst game of the season against the Titans.  He also had a shoulder injury in both that and the KC game the next week.  Just Saying.

 

Totally agree!

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

Josh was cleared to play on Saturday.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856214-bills-josh-allen-expected-to-play-vs-titans-after-clearing-concussion-protocol#:~:text=However%2C he is set to,the team's Week 5 game.

 

A concussion suffered against the New England Patriots after a helmet-to-helmet hit from defensive back Jonathan Jones last Sunday forced the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback off the field for the remainder of that game. However, he is set to return against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

The Bills announced Saturday that Allen cleared the NFL's concussion protocol, which makes him available to start the team's Week 5 game.

Ah so its pretty normal that we haven't heard anything yet 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Concussions are a funny thing.  There are some that look like nothing, but the person takes weeks or months to return to baseline.  VB player on my kid's team took 2 months to recover from what looked like nothing much.

 

There are others that are nasty - involve getting knocked unconscious etc, but resolve quickly and don't cause much in the way of lingering physical symptoms.  I experienced this myself.  I was knocked unconscious in a car accident, suffered a subdural bleed, no memory of about 3 hrs, spent the night in a neuro unit, walked out of the hospital the next day - no headaches, no nausea, no balance issues, no light sensitivity, I was very fatigued but I didn't have increased symptoms from exercise.

 

So while I agree that Mahomes appears to have suffered a concussion, I don't know that it's really a statement to hold him out or rushing if he comes back.  It really depends upon the integrity of the protocol and the people executing it.  He could come back from that in 5 days, while Mitch Morse took what, a month? from a knee in the helmet.

So here’s my concussion story.

 

When I was a junior in HS (1980 lol), I suffered a double concussion at basketball practice.  I was running full out about to dive for a loose ball when my face smashed into the forehead of someone coming from the other direction (brain smashes into front of skull – concussion #1).  They said I was out cold on my feet – incredibly still upright for just a second before I slowly fell backwards like a falling tower and my head smashed on the floor (brain smashes into back of skull – concussion #2).  Everyone just stood there totally frozen.   After some moments – one of my friends heard a faint choking noise.  There was no blood, but my nose was shattered.   He got closer and figured out I was choking on something – he turned me on my side and a huge flow of blood just started gushing from my face.  The people there said they had never seen so much blood – like a bad movie.  Not sure if that is recommended practice, but his quick action might have saved the situation from being much worse.

 

I started to come to in the gym – I was out for minutes.  Initially it was a complete fog, wasn’t even sure where I was at the beginning.  The one funny thing is as I laid there the single thing that popped in my head was my Mom always said if you get in a medical emergency tell them the name of our family doctor – so I just started repeating “Hassenfratz.  Hassenfratz.”  over and over.  They had no freaking clue wth I was saying or talking about (real concerns of brain damage at that point 😝)

 

In the ambulance I started to regain more consciousness.  It was funny because eventually I felt awake, but could not remember simple things.  One of the paramedics was actually a very popular senior at my school – and in the ambulance I couldn’t for the life of me think of his name (which I think annoyed him), but I DID remember the name of his gorgeous girlfriend.  For some reason I started with “Oh yeah – so-and-so is your girlfriend” and he’s just looking at me – and it started to get weird when I kept talking about her “Yeah, she’s in my typing class” (1980, people) and after a few more comments and seeing the look on his face, even in my altered state I had the presence of mind to STFU.

 

These of course were the days before cell phones – it was Saturday morning and my Mom was out Christmas shopping and my Dad was deer hunting.  I got to the hospital and had to wait on a stretcher in a hallway of the emergency room for hours, having to make uncomfortable small talk with my Coach (which might have been the worst part of the whole experience).  Not sure how many times I said “You can leave now – I’ll be OK”.   Eventually my brother came home from being out somewhere and heard the message on the machine.  My Mom had left a note she was shopping at Eastern Hills Mall, so he called them and they paged her (can’t believe we actually used to live without cell phones).

 

I eventually had surgery to reconstruct my nose, pretty sure I also either broke or dislocated my jaw.  When I first got in my room I realized my jaw was killing me and I couldn’t open my mouth all the way so I forced it open and CRACK something popped.  Never told anyone.  Hurt like hell for a while after - more than my nose.  Jaw hasn’t been the same since.

 

Some other highlights from the hospital

- The first night a Doctor rushed into my room in a tuxedo (coming from a Christmas party), shined a light in my eyes, turned to my Mom and promptly said “One of his pupils is bigger than the other – he could have bleeding in his brain”  I’ll never forget the look on my Mother’s face as it turned ghostly white – at that point I was more afraid for her health than mine.  Subsequently, after a bunch of tests they concluded one of my pupils is just normally bigger than the other

- On the following Monday evening I was returning to my room having left for some test or X-ray.  The MNF game was on TV.  The guy in the other bed turns to me and says “They killed John Lennon, man!”.  Will never forget the sound of sadness/pain in his voice.

 

Anyway – this was a very different time.  Never went through any concussion protocol or really any follow-up at all.  They gave me some painkillers for headache – I was back at school by the end of the week, and started practicing again right after that (they gave me a mask to wear to protect my nose, but that lasted about 10 minutes).

 

One thing I am pretty sure of – it wasn’t a pinched nerve.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^
 

That was a good article by Chris Trapasso.  Like his prediction for the game too :D

 

 

I disagree with him on the turning point of the season, though.  I’d go either the Zimmer forced fumble or the “Hail

Murray”.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

 


Whenever anyone insists that an NFL team needs to #EstablishTheRun in order to win, I immediately know to ignore their opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

^^^^^^
 

That was a good article by Chris Trapasso.  Like his prediction for the game too :D

 

 

I disagree with him on the turning point of the season, though.  I’d go either the Zimmer forced fumble or the “Hail

Murray”.

There are so many to choose from... that 3rd and 22 to Beasley though, I almost forgot about that. Sick throw 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s likely we are going to see a full power Chiefs team in Sunday. One that has some weaknesses but has done an awful lot of winning this year.

 

how do we think the Bills are going to look to get the upper hand. Will they look at some of the three down lineman and one spy like the raiders did with their only loss, especially if Edwards-Helaire is out and the run is not a big concern?

 

Or will we look at some of the tendencies that other teams have exposed to get hits on Mahomes and make them impatient?

 

I know McDermott and Frazier will have a game plan to give us a chance and I can’t wait for a healthy Allen to torch the weakest secondary he has faced in weeks.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, stevewin said:

So here’s my concussion story.

 

When I was a junior in HS (1980 lol), I suffered a double concussion at basketball practice.  I was running full out about to dive for a loose ball when my face smashed into the forehead of someone coming from the other direction (brain smashes into front of skull – concussion #1).  They said I was out cold on my feet – incredibly still upright for just a second before I slowly fell backwards like a falling tower and my head smashed on the floor (brain smashes into back of skull – concussion #2).  Everyone just stood there totally frozen.   After some moments – one of my friends heard a faint choking noise.  There was no blood, but my nose was shattered.   He got closer and figured out I was choking on something – he turned me on my side and a huge flow of blood just started gushing from my face.  The people there said they had never seen so much blood – like a bad movie.  Not sure if that is recommended practice, but his quick action might have saved the situation from being much worse.

 

I started to come to in the gym – I was out for minutes.  Initially it was a complete fog, wasn’t even sure where I was at the beginning.  The one funny thing is as I laid there the single thing that popped in my head was my Mom always said if you get in a medical emergency tell them the name of our family doctor – so I just started repeating “Hassenfratz.  Hassenfratz.”  over and over.  They had no freaking clue wth I was saying or talking about (real concerns of brain damage at that point 😝)

 

In the ambulance I started to regain more consciousness.  It was funny because eventually I felt awake, but could not remember simple things.  One of the paramedics was actually a very popular senior at my school – and in the ambulance I couldn’t for the life of me think of his name (which I think annoyed him), but I DID remember the name of his gorgeous girlfriend.  For some reason I started with “Oh yeah – so-and-so is your girlfriend” and he’s just looking at me – and it started to get weird when I kept talking about her “Yeah, she’s in my typing class” (1980, people) and after a few more comments and seeing the look on his face, even in my altered state I had the presence of mind to STFU.

 

These of course were the days before cell phones – it was Saturday morning and my Mom was out Christmas shopping and my Dad was deer hunting.  I got to the hospital and had to wait on a stretcher in a hallway of the emergency room for hours, having to make uncomfortable small talk with my Coach (which might have been the worst part of the whole experience).  Not sure how many times I said “You can leave now – I’ll be OK”.   Eventually my brother came home from being out somewhere and heard the message on the machine.  My Mom had left a note she was shopping at Eastern Hills Mall, so he called them and they paged her (can’t believe we actually used to live without cell phones).

 

I eventually had surgery to reconstruct my nose, pretty sure I also either broke or dislocated my jaw.  When I first got in my room I realized my jaw was killing me and I couldn’t open my mouth all the way so I forced it open and CRACK something popped.  Never told anyone.  Hurt like hell for a while after - more than my nose.  Jaw hasn’t been the same since.

 

Some other highlights from the hospital

- The first night a Doctor rushed into my room in a tuxedo (coming from a Christmas party), shined a light in my eyes, turned to my Mom and promptly said “One of his pupils is bigger than the other – he could have bleeding in his brain”  I’ll never forget the look on my Mother’s face as it turned ghostly white – at that point I was more afraid for her health than mine.  Subsequently, after a bunch of tests they concluded one of my pupils is just normally bigger than the other

- On the following Monday evening I was returning to my room having left for some test or X-ray.  The MNF game was on TV.  The guy in the other bed turns to me and says “They killed John Lennon, man!”.  Will never forget the sound of sadness/pain in his voice.

 

Anyway – this was a very different time.  Never went through any concussion protocol or really any follow-up at all.  They gave me some painkillers for headache – I was back at school by the end of the week, and started practicing again right after that (they gave me a mask to wear to protect my nose, but that lasted about 10 minutes).

 

One thing I am pretty sure of – it wasn’t a pinched nerve.

A great story although I’m sorry you had to go through that back then. Touching and funny. I can also remember when I first heard about Lennon‘s assassination. But, the story about your pupils being naturally of different sizes in that scenario was funny. The story even had a nice “shaggy dog“ ending.  Anyway, it doesn’t sound like a pinched nerve to me, either.😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Ah so its pretty normal that we haven't heard anything yet 

Even if he gets cleared to play tonight, we wouldn't hear till Saturday. Reid will try and use it to his advantage 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Even if he gets cleared to play tonight, we wouldn't hear till Saturday. Reid will try and use it to his advantage 

It shouldn’t really matter they will play roughly the same system either way, Mahomes will just be way better at it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Practice squad protected players

 

2 running backs

 

 

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

And Josh arguably had his worst game of the season against the Titans.  He also had a shoulder injury in both that and the KC game the next week.  Just Saying.

 

Huh?  Josh's concussion was 2019 week 4.  Following week vs Titans we won 14-7, Josh threw for 219 yds 2 TD 1 INT 78% completions  - not his best game, but far from his worst of 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Practice squad protected players

 

2 running backs

 

 

 

Huh?  Josh's concussion was 2019 week 4.  Following week vs Titans we won 14-7, Josh threw for 219 yds 2 TD 1 INT 78% completions  - not his best game, but far from his worst of 2019

Think hes talking about the titans game this year 

19 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It shouldn’t really matter they will play roughly the same system either way, Mahomes will just be way better at it. 

That's true. Bills will prepare for Mahomes all week Imo, if henne plays then they should be more than prepared defensively 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 A medical opinion outside of actually examining Mahomes personally. Pro Footballdoc.com  He was on the Chargers medical staff for 14 years.  Without getting into long medical terms (though he mentioned those) he offered that Mahomes did not suffer a concussion but it was a hit to a vegas nerve in his neck which can trigger a blackout without severe damage & recovery is very quick.  Added, the injury looks more severe than it is.    He did also add that the turf toe issue will hinder him but not keep him out of the upcoming Championship game. He was confident Mahomes will be safely cleared after going through Concussion Protocol at the end of the week. Apparently once in the protocol you do not necessarily have to have a concussion (sometimes a players injury may appear to be a concussion so they use the protocol as a safety measure) but must clear all steps to be eligible to play. 

       

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...