AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Bills at Chiefs, Sunday 6:40 pm on CBS

54 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I just have this overwhelming feeling that the OL is going to hold up well and Josh is going to be slinging dimes into the holes of that KC zone. 

I haven't been listening to the pundits and talking head and haven't even read too much on this board about everyone's "opinion"

but this I believe is key to the game.  The OL that plays better will most likely win the game!

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I haven't been listening to the pundits and talking head and haven't even read too much on this board about everyone's "opinion"

but this I believe is key to the game.  The OL that plays better will most likely win the game!

At a high level, most games do come down to winning in the trenches. Which the Bills did last week. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At a high level, most games do come down to winning in the trenches. Which the Bills did last week. 

Agree, and with both teams with high potent offenses the team that pass blocks better will have a big advantage.

Football for me comes down to basic facts!

18 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

I still don't care what the talking heads say before or after.  Not sure why it bothers people.  The negative talk actually probably helps inspire the Bills.

Oh...I totally agree.  I guess I'm just astonished that after the season the Bills had...going 13-3 against one of the toughest schedules in the league...how little respect the team gets on the whole.  I also agree that it fuels the team even more...especially the defense.  I guess they all have a preconceived notion of how the NFL is supposed to be, and the Bills success this year doesn't fit in with that narrative.  

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

So damn frustrating. I don't know why every defense doesn't play this way... It's Allen's and pretty much every QB's kryptonite. Every yard is hard and everything is unpredictable.

They haven’t been an elite defense all year and aren’t about to change now. Plays will be made. 

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

So damn frustrating. I don't know why every defense doesn't play this way... It's Allen's and pretty much every QB's kryptonite. Every yard is hard and everything is unpredictable.

Because it’s easier said than done 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Zero, almost every team in the league runs the majority of their offensive plays from 3 WR sets.  There are 4 that don't: BAL CLE MIN SF and TEN.

As a response, almost every team in the league now runs close to half of their defensive plays from nickel.  That was true in 2019 and while 2020 stats not out for the public yet, I expect the trend has continued.  I expect that the same is true of KC, regardless of who they're playing.  

You'd have to show me the data on the pass success rate and % of base defense for KC to back this up.  Do you have data on this or is it TLAR eyeball stuff?

My perception of Spags is that he prefers to be aggressive with the blitz.  For teams that have the hosses to counter, quick passes to RBs and TE and YAC come along with that.

The bottom line is: KC overall is 19th in YPA against the pass.  Those ain't all TE and RB racking up those yards. I think you give up a good amount of yards against WR sometimes, no matter what D you're in.  But you play the personnel on your schedule, and you played this season against teams with a lot of good pass catching backs and TE.

Buffalo does not play more 3WR sets than anyone in the league.  "More 3 and 4 WR sets than anyone in the league" is a trending towards specious because there are only 2 teams which play >10% 4WR sets, so it's like saying "Buffalo plays more 3 and 4 WR than Arizona" which is like "Well durr" because they're more of a running team and play a lot of 2-1.

I would actually be surprised if the Bills play much 4WR sets with us being so banged up at WR, but it's Daboll so you never know.  But I doubt he'll be scheming much to get KC into base D because "dance with who brung ya".  It wouldn't surprise me if we saw attempts to get you into dime, then run.  How's your dime against the run?

Here are data  on offensive formations.  click to embiggen.  (the same websites defensive formation data appear to be messed up.)

image.thumb.png.07b4f6285312bbebfe115489fbaf4f16.png

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's a risk-reward thing.  If the offense recognizes what you're doing and schemes for it, it invites coverage breakdowns and mismatches.

7 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I can't possibly have left you speechless.  And yet....

• Haha (+1) 1

....I am not unaware that most teams are in Nickel etc more often than not.  

So to back up what I am saying....https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/target-rate-by-position--def-.html

KC has 4th best success rate VS WR regardless of D on field.  KC is 29th VS TE and 26th VS RB.  Again, regardless of D on field.  

As percentage of targets,  teams targeted WR only 56% of the time wich was the lowest in the NFL....Buffalo is close as teams only targeted WR 57% of the time.....indicates a good secondary. 

The team(s) that gave the Chiefs fits this year...especially the Raiders...throw to TE and RB alot.  

17 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Then go (5) wide, someone will be open. 

You can disguise all you want, their 4th and 5th corner can’t cover McKenzie or Davis.

• Agree 1

@Hapless Bills Fan 

If you read into those stats more....you see Buffalo has an even better pass D VS WR than KC does....however, the difference maker for KC is Kelce.  Buffalo had 25% of their opponents targets go to TE...that was tied for highest with a couple other teams...and as you see the Bills have a poor success rate VS TE (makes sense that teams would target the TE vs a team that isn't good at stopping the TE) .....

Kelce is what gives KC the advantage in the game.  He is a big part of what makes KC dangerous....if you stop the WRs with two deep zone etc....you aren't stopping Kelce...if you dedicated 2 guys to stopping Kelce, Mahomes is going to find the open target elsewhere......couple that with your lack of a 4 man pass rush....that is advantage KC.  It's why I have KC winning the game.  All other things being equal...TE is decidedly not equal here.

• Vomit 1