Gabe Davis and Cole Beasley - seemed to both be hobbled last night

Hebert19

32 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Hate this thread.  Way too much speculation, zero facts.

Beasley was limping and didn't play the final drive or 2 in 4th.  Not speculation.   Gabe was still limping in 4th and was ineffective.  

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He looks like he takes some plays off honestly.   Also his concentration has been iffy.  Last week he was a freaking rock star, but this week he was more of a boat anchor.  

I would not, simply because of Davis’s size, but I could definitely justify it.   I would find a way to get Stills out there, speed kills.

If Davis is healthy he plays. No way does Stills play otherwise. Davis has been a huge part of this O. End of story. Yikes Stills has been here two weeks. 

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Balt played a lot of man coverage, not Coles strength, he’s very effective finding holes in zones, but man to man basically neutralizes him, it always has and now he’s not quite as explosive. 

Davis really has fallen off the last half of the year, looks like he hit the rookie wall pretty hard.  Lots of drops, still would like to see him back running at full speed and be a contributor.

Gabe Davis has had a great year. Let’s replace him. Good idea. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Beasley was limping and didn't play the final drive or 2 in 4th.  Not speculation.   Gabe was still limping in 4th and was ineffective.  

I had a feeling Beasely would be limping by the end of the game. He’s playing hurt. If last week is any indication he will be limited in practice all week and play on Sunday 

• Like (+1) 2

As far as next week, Beasely is playing on an injured knee, but he was cleared so he doesn’t have a bad knee as that infers a chronic issue.  It’s the NFL, everyone’s playing hurt by this time of the year.  If Gabe simply had a Charlie horse, that’s nothing.  A lot of us have played ball, wrestled or my sons played lax with severely bruised legs.  He’ll be in an ice tub all week.  Sucks going through it, but it works.

If they place Bease on a pitch count, then it will probably be Diggs, Brown, Davis, and McKenzie.  They may activate the new acquisitions, but they won’t see the field.

Maybe anecdotal but felt like Humphrey was on Davis most of the game and that’s a tough matchup. He’s an absolute beast of a CB. 

Beasley was indeed a non factor. Would have to rewatch the game and all-22 to see who was on him. 

22 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Still limping after what?  What play?  What injury?  I can find references to a Gilliam injury, not to Gabe.

Yes, as it stands, it's a misleading title.  Please edit.

• Eyeroll 1

• Hebert19 changed the title to Gabe Davis and Cole Beasley - seemed to both be hobbled last night
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Still limping after what?  What play?  What injury?  I can find references to a Gilliam injury, not to Gabe.

Yes, as it stands, it's a misleading title.  Please edit.

The Sirius radio announcers were saying that Gabe was limping during the game, but that’s all I heard about it, iirc they said an ankle was the culprit, don’t know how accurate what they were saying is. 

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gabe was limping on the field after the dropped TD. I saw him look at the sideline & give a "thumbs up". He then limped toward the huddle & the coverage moved away. He was not in on the next play, so Coaching staff must've pulled him out.

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

We desperately need these guys at full strength next week.    Gabe was still hobbled late in the game and I think Beasley pulled himself out as he was not effective.    Hope they can get healthy with the extra day rest. 

Might we see stills as an instance policy next week?

OK, here's some stuff from Banged Up Bills (PT Dr Kyle Trimble).

On Gabe Davis, said to have injured on the missed TD pass (you can see here it's right on target 😥😞

Banged-up doesn't seem to think it's serious:

Shortly after that, back in the game:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I'd like to see McKenzie get more looks.  He certainly earned it after the Dolphins game.. and I think he had just a single target this game?

If Beasley and Davis aren't quite right, McKenzie needs to get more looks.

Exactly. I thought McKenzie should have played slot the whole game. Beasley is not as productive with the bum knee and it is hurting the offense. He should have sat yesterday if he couldn’t run. Now he will be shot for next week as well. He is a start stop player and that doesn’t work if he can’t pivot quickly.  Also, McKenzie needs to be used on more jet sweeps and to stretch the seems. 

7 minutes ago, 947 said:

Gabe was limping on the field after the dropped TD. I saw him look at the sideline & give a "thumbs up". He then limped toward the huddle & the coverage moved away. He was not in on the next play, so Coaching staff must've pulled him out.

He had a great block on the Diggs TD. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, 947 said:

Yeah, that's when it was; see above; he was pointing to his foot/ankle, looked at by trainers, and listed as "questionable" to return, but later did.

The more serious potential injuries so far are to Reggie Gilliam and (don't shoot the messenger) Josh Allen, after the strip sack:

And David Chao thought Allen might have suffered a high ankle sprain on the strip sack:

Banged Up less concerned:

We'll just have to see but (crossing fingers) looks like we might have gotten out of the game OK

• Like (+1) 1

Davis didn't look hobbled he just looked covered more. But Beasley looked invisible. Hopefully he didn't get much wear and tear this week and he can be 100% or at least closer to 100%. A positive sign for the WR corps was John Brown looked healthy. Brown's numbers weren't huge but given the wind they were nice. He looked like he was pre-injury which is huge. 

Edited by billsfan89

27 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Exactly. I thought McKenzie should have played slot the whole game. Beasley is not as productive with the bum knee and it is hurting the offense. He should have sat yesterday if he couldn’t run. Now he will be shot for next week as well. He is a start stop player and that doesn’t work if he can’t pivot quickly.  Also, McKenzie needs to be used on more jet sweeps and to stretch the seems. 

I think on the all-22 it will be seen that the Ravens were playing to take away Diggs and Beasley, and that at times.  Which in terms of productivity, only makes sense.

Beasley was easier to take away based on the type of routes he runs.

I don't think we have evidence that McKenzie would have been less easy for the Ravens to take away running the same routes.  In fact I think they would have worked harder to take away Brown with McKenzie in there, with a net decrease in productivity.

I think there's a reason Daboll hasn't called jet sweeps the last 2 weeks and that reason is he feels the D's we've seen would pounce on them

I was impressed, though, with how much time Josh had - and by how much time he made it look like he had, when he didn't have it.

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The fact that they put Humphries on Davis in the endzone and at other times said a lot

Well, all year, that is where Davis has done some of the most damage.  I think we'll see they were bracketing Beasley with lesser players a lot, similar to what the Texans did last year.

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

We desperately need these guys at full strength next week.    Gabe was still hobbled late in the game and I think Beasley pulled himself out as he was not effective.    Hope they can get healthy with the extra day rest. 

Might we see stills as an instance policy next week?

Snap counts are up on NFL.com (scroll to bottom)

I don't think Beasley pulled himself out.  Beasley played 63% of the snaps to Gabe Davis 46%.  Not certain but it's possible they switched the two of them off for 3 WR sets with Diggs (82%) and Brown (81%).  The other interesting thing is that Knox played a very high snap count (79%).