Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yeah I heard and thought the same things, very disappointing. It didn't sound like an analysis of the game, more of I'm setting my predictions up for later on because the Ravens are a lock. I'm amazed how simplistic much of the analysis leading up to this game has been.

100% what it was..... i said this last night on the prior page and i'll say it again. one team put a whopping 20 pts on a bottom 5 defense and beat them by a score. the other team also won in a one score game but it was against a team that was top ten in both offense and defense.... i'm dumbfounded the narrative is so ravens slanted this week.

Here's a summary of all the breakdowns i've seen this week...."How will the bills ever slow down lamar jackson??!!! Its next to impossible!..... And the Ravens have a good secondary so they obviously dont need to worry about the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL that goes 4 wr deep........ AND SERIOUSLY, HOW ABOUT LAMAR JACKSON????!!!!"

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

These guys are better than this take...

Florio has been pretty bad latley. On another video out now, Rodney basically mocked him for overrating the significance of the Colts performance versus us.

Sims can do better...and its not because they are picking the Ravens, i get that, and its not crazy to pick the Ravens but...

Double Diggs? Spy Allen? Maybe Ravens can put 12 men on the field with his ideas...which Sims does not correct and agrees are great ideas.

Dont they think any of the teams the Bills have faced tried to take out Diggs? Bill Belicheck? Rams? Colts?

They neglect the notion the Bills have a good run action offense despite the lack of running stats. We screen, short pass, 

Again, a wrong impression Allen is a one man show. He spreads the ball out, and even if Diggs gets limited, we have and effectively work Beasely, Brown, Davis, Knox, etc...

I thought it was a very fair analysis. The Bills’ performance against the Colts has given outside observers legit reasons for doubt, and the Bills’ running game is bad. Moss is a better back in the run game than Singletary.

42 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Ain’t that what the Pats did? The first time we ran all over them and the second time we had our answer in the passing game. 

Not many people giving us a chance

The Ravens D is way more talented and formidable than the Gilmore-less Pats Covid D. It’s apples and oranges.

19 minutes ago, Process said:

Ugh, weather forecast keeps getting worse. 

Looks like wind could end up being a factor. 

Didn’t we draft a qb who can throw in the wind better than any other qb because of velocity/rpms?

Edited by dave mcbride

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Right on the edge of the heaviest snow.

Ugh. Wind and snow will suck. I hate snow games. I just like seeing your best vs. the other team’s best to determine winner. Not who wore the best cleats. 

With that said, Ravens will try to out physical us this game. Punch us in the mouth. I’m not suggesting we go against what brought us here (passing), but I think we need a physical presence in the run game to punch back when we need to and grind out some tough yards on the ground. With Moss out, I think that has to be Williams. Particularly, if we get to a situation where we get up and need a 4 minute drive to bleed clock. 

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Ugh. Wind and snow will suck. I hate snow games. I just like seeing your best vs. the other team’s best to determine winner. Not who wore the best cleats. 

With that said, Ravens will try to out physical us this game. Punch us in the mouth. I’m not suggesting we go against what brought us here (passing), but I think we need a physical presence in the run game to punch back when we need to and grind out some tough yards on the ground. With Moss out, I think that has to be Williams. Particularly, if we get to a situation where we get up and need a 4 minute drive to bleed clock. 

If the Ravens can’t throw, their offense generally gets stopped. Wind/snow favors the team with the qb who has better arm talent and better receivers.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I thought it was a very fair analysis. The Bills’ performance against the Colts has given outside observers legit reasons for doubt, and the Bills’ running game is bad. Moss is a better back in the run game than Singletary.

Sims knows our "run action" passing is very good. He watches the film...our short passing game subs for runs, our play action is great, and when you ramp up QB sneaks for playoffs, our Running game is deceptive.

We dont need true blue rush yards to win. Sims has discussed this before.

As for overreacting to the Colts dog fight...playoff football is a battle. The same outside observers overreacting to how close that one was may be the same folks who worried about us after surving a shootout w the Phins heading into the Raider game back in 1991. 

10 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Sims knows our "run action" passing is very good. He watches the film...our short passing game subs for runs, our play action is great, and when you ramp up QB sneaks for playoffs, our Running game is deceptive.

As for overreacting to the Colts dog fight...playoff football is a battle. The same outside observers overreacting to how close that one was may be the same folks who worried about us after surving a shootout w the Phins heading into the Raider game back in 1991. 

It’s Simms, not Sims. His dad is the Super Bowl-winning QB for the Ny Giants.  Same last name.

Edited by mannc

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

That’s not really accurate. In the previous playoff game for the Raiders, Bo Jackson went down with what turned out to be a career ending injury. When he got hurt in that playoff game vs. Cincy, he had 6 carries for 77 yards. The story going into that game was that the Raiders were missing their best player. The Bills were expected to win.

I just rewatched last years bills vs ravens game for fun.

BOY DID DAWSON KNOX SUCKKKKKK....I hope the coaches specifically reminded him of his poor performance to motivate him to have a good game. He has been more consistent as of late so hopefully he has a good game if they ask him to do the same things they did last year. He missed three KEY blocks, two got Josh killed and the other prevented a huge play. He also had two key drops as we were driving. Absolutely abysmal game by him.

Josh failed to make plays that I dont see how he fails to make this year. Period. Pass pro held up on many plays giving him time and he just didnt capitalize, opps were there, he just missed his windows. That aint happening Saturday.

A couple other big drops by receivers (cole beasley brothaaaa come on) on big chunk plays where the ball was on the money.

I don't know the stat line, but Singletary had some really nice runs and made something out of nothing, was patient....especially early on in the game. That was encouraging.

On defense, we did best when we got downhill and attacked their offense instead of sitting back and reading the RPO. Guys rushed their lanes from the snap and good things happened, id expect more of that. LOTS of 3 LB sets....it will be interesting to see how much they trust Klein to see how much true 4-3 we see. 

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hey y'all,

Ravens fan checking in. I've spent every couple minutes I get between meetings catching up on this thread (while I was waiting for my account to be approved - thanks!) and I'm still only on pg. 30, but I wanted to go ahead a post.

I really like the Bills as a team and I love watching smaller market teams (like BAL) succeed.

Josh Allen is a stud and I'm obviously a huge Diggs fan (go Terps). I think this is going to be a really tough match-up for the Ravens, and I expect it to be a one-score game either way.

Just to address a couple things I've read so far over the first 30 pages or so:

• The Titans logo stomping post-INT was absolutely fantastic and I've been watching it on repeat.
    • The Titans were/are one of the Ravens biggest rivals, and we used to be in the same division. We ***** hate them, looped in with the Steelers and Pats.
    • They not only had "meetings" on our logo earlier this year, but they did it last year after the playoff game. They were also jawing at our coach earlier this year and mocking our players last year after they beat us. ***** them.
    • This rivalry is 100% reignited and I think it's great for the game.
  • I think both teams are going to play loose.
    • You guys getting your first playoff win in years, and LJ winning his first playoff game (and revenge against those #######s from TN), lifted a big burden off the teams.
  • Why I'm confident in the Ravens:
    • Run Offense. The Bills' run defense was getting gashed against the Colts, and I really like our chances to put up 200+ yards as has been our standard lately.
    • Run Defense. Similar to the Bills run defense, the running game is not strong in Buffalo. But more importantly, the Ravens D-line is the healthiest it's been all year, and it's amazing to see Campbell/Wolfe/Williams/Judon all playing. It's a night and day difference.
  • Why I'm NOT confident in the Ravens:
    • Risky Pass Defense. Marcus Peters is a gambler. He will gamble in this game. Which means he'll either get a pick, or will get beat at least once deep by Diggs/Brown. Humphrey is a beast and just a good dude (Marcus Peters is more one of those dudes that you hate unless he's on your team), and is coming off a really shaky game against AJ Brown (beast). I'm hoping he bounces back this week.
    • Josh Allen. He's just a game changer. He's one of those guys where you can play a great defense, but he'll make an even better through. I love watching him succeed and hope he has an amazing career. Just not Saturday (please).

Anyway, good luck to you guys this weekend. I think it'll be the best game of the weekend and could absolutely see the winner take this momentum to the SB. I don't think I can wait 2.5 more days for this.

Edited by AllDayLJ
  • Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

Or 5 wide with Kenny Stills. That would be brutal to cover.

Kenny breaks in and Josh throws out? Sorry but just like RB Williams, no thanks. McKenzie knows this playbook in and out. I want him on the field. Stills only in an emergency. No room for error here.

Edited by Tuel Time
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Was the Ravens performance really any better?  That game was a snooze fest for the most part.

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Ravens D is way more talented and formidable than the Gilmore-less Pats Covid D. It’s apples and oranges.

Didn’t we draft a qb who can throw in the wind better than any other qb because of velocity/rpms?

It still effects the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That’s not really accurate. In the previous playoff game for the Raiders, Bo Jackson went down with what turned out to be a career ending injury. When he got hurt in that playoff game vs. Cincy, he had 6 carries for 77 yards. The story going into that game was that the Raiders were missing their best player. The Bills were expected to win.

The internet and all this did not exist back then....not all these talking heads overreacting. I dont even think ESPN gameday/ prime time was clicking until the next year.

I feel the pro analysis is exceptionally reactive week to week and less and less film/ data driven. 

Florio is always reactive, even though i enjoy his opinion...Sims is usually more grounded. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Most are doing well.. Baltimores D is better than Indy.  They run the ball better than Indy so they win.  I think Buffalo wins similar to GB vs Tennessee a few weeks ago.  Its going to snow to some degree.  Buffalo gets up early and Baltimore folds.

big difference 

GB has a power running game, we don’t. 

also Ravens secondary is miles ahead of the titans, comparing the two is a really bad take 

25 minutes ago, AllDayLJ said:

Hey y'all,

Ravens fan checking in. I've spent every couple minutes I get between meetings catching up on this thread (while I was waiting for my account to be approved - thanks!) and I'm still only on pg. 30, but I wanted to go ahead a post.

I really like the Bills as a team and I love watching smaller market teams (like BAL) succeed.

Josh Allen is a stud and I'm obviously a huge Diggs fan (go Terps). I think this is going to be a really tough match-up for the Ravens, and I expect it to be a one-score game either way.

• The Titans logo stomping post-INT was absolutely fantastic and I've been watching it on repeat.
    • The Titans were/are one of the Ravens biggest rivals, and we used to be in the same division. We ***** hate them, looped in with the Steelers and Pats.
    • They not only had "meetings" on our logo earlier this year, but they did it last year after the playoff game. They were also jawing at our coach earlier this year and mocking our players last year after they beat us. ***** them.
    • You guys getting your first playoff win in years, and LJ winning his first playoff game (and revenge against those #######s from TN), lifted a big burden off the teams.
    • Run Offense. The Bills' run defense was getting gashed against the Colts, and I really like our chances to put up 200+ yards as has been our standard lately.
    • Run Defense. Similar to the Bills run defense, the running game is not strong in Buffalo. But more importantly, the Ravens D-line is the healthiest it's been all year, and it's amazing to see Campbell/Wolfe/Williams/Judon all playing. It's a night and day difference.
    • Risky Pass Defense. Marcus Peters is a gambler. He will gamble in this game. Which means he'll either get a pick, or will get beat at least once deep by Diggs/Brown. Humphrey is a beast and just a good dude (Marcus Peters is more one of those dudes that you hate unless he's on your team), and is coming off a really shaky game against AJ Brown (beast). I'm hoping he bounces back this week.
    • Josh Allen. He's just a game changer. He's one of those guys where you can play a great defense, but he'll make an even better through. I love watching him succeed and hope he has an amazing career. Just not Saturday (please).

Anyway, good luck to you guys this weekend. I think it'll be the best game of the weekend and could absolutely see the winner take this momentum to the SB. I don't think I can wait 2.5 more days for this.

Thanks for this man. I didnt love the logo stomp thing, but yes, Titans are punks. Ive never got over music city miracle, not a fan of Vrable. Nor a big Tannyhill fan, so nice to see him struggle.

Your right, on many of your points. The key here imo is going to be critical mistakes, penalties, turnovers, and special teams. 

One huge aspect is how will the refs call this game; your DBs are grabby...and we will see how the refs let that go. I think we can draw some PI calls.

If there is some wind and snow, it will certainly work against the weaker passer (Jackson) more than the guy with the strongest arm in the league (Allen.)  If Buffalo has zero passing game to worry about from Jackson, they can sell out to stop the run. I don’t care if the wind gusts are 30 mph, Allen will be completing some passes. I think this talk of bad weather being a huge advantage for Baltimore is really overblown. It’s not going to be a blizzard or hurricane! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

Thanks for this man. I didnt love the logo stomp thing, but yes, Titans are punks. Ive never got over music city miracle, not a fan of Vrable. Nor a big Tannyhill fan, so nice to see him struggle.

Your right, on many of your points. The key here imo is going to be critical mistakes, penalties, turnovers, and special teams. 

One huge aspect is how will the refs call this game; your DBs are grabby...and we will see how the refs let that go. I think we can draw some PI calls.

Good point re grabby corners; the officiating crew we drew calls a boatload of penalties.

36 minutes ago, AllDayLJ said:

Hey y'all,

Do you think you all will blitz as much as has been suggested?  The reality is that the best way to play pass D against Josh Allen (and pretty much every good QB in the league) is to pressure with only 4 and drop a bunch of guys into zone coverage. 

8 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Just to be clear, the Titans logo stomp was amazing. Switch Ravens for Bills and Titans for Pats and imagine it and tell me you wouldn't love every second of it.

Speaking of penalties and mental mistakes, Tanny was trying to hard count our DLine the entire game last week. He even got me a few times through the TV. But our DLine didn't draw one penalty all game. I was shocked and impressed. Conversely, we'll get a PI call or two. We have physical corners (especially Marlo) who like to push, grab, etc. I expect a couple every game, just hope they're minimal. We've also gotten a few too many late hit calls this year. Nothing malicious or anything or the sort, just an aggressive line.

Turnovers are going to decide the game, 100%. I think these are very evenly-matched teams, with us obviously the better run team and you the superior pass team. Should be good.

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Do you think you all will blitz as much as has been suggested?  The reality is that the best way to play pass D against Josh Allen (and pretty much every good QB in the league) is to pressure with only 4 and drop a bunch of guys into zone coverage. 

Good question. I think we do. I'm not saying I want us to, but I think that's been our formula all year and it's the defensive identity at this point.

I do think that with our DLine finally being healthy and getting good push up front it may limit how much we have to blitz, though. If we aren't afraid of the Bills running game, I could see us loading up smaller in the box and playing more in coverage.

Edited by AllDayLJ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AllDayLJ said:

Just to be clear, the Titans logo stomp was amazing. Switch Ravens for Bill and Titans for Pats and imagine it and tell me you wouldn't love every second of it.

Speaking of penalties and mental mistakes, Tanny was trying to hard count our DLine the entire game last week. He even got me a few times through the TV. But our DLine didn't draw one penalty all game. I was shocked and impressed. Conversely, we'll get a PI call or two. We have physical corners (especially Marlo) who like to push, grab, etc. I expect a couple every game, just hope they're minimal. We've also gotten a few too many late hit calls this year. Nothing malicious or anything or the sort, just an aggressive line.

Turnovers are going to decide the game, 100%. I think these are very evenly-matched teams, with us obviously the better run team and you the superior pass team. Should be good.

- Patriots example: I honestly wouldn’t have appreciated it. Let the play on the field do the talking. We’ve done little trolling things in the past, but usually it’s within the team to hype one another (dancing to renegade) not a shot at the other team. But that’s more preference than anything. Peters is kind of a d-bag, so no surprise there. 😛 

- I wonder if we will try to exploit that with our speed - getting down field and taking shots to force you to hold/pi. 

- yep. If it’s just a matter of each of us playing to our strengths, Pass always beats run. But it’ll be a situation to see who has the cleaner game.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good point re grabby corners; the officiating crew we drew calls a boatload of penalties.

This is why Indy had some success, and by some success I mean that our offense only scored 27 and were forced to punt quickly a few times.  

They were able to get pressure with their Front 4 and then drop everyone back into coverage.

Most of the damage done was off of Allen improvisation.