Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

- Patriots example: I honestly wouldn’t have appreciated it. Let the play on the field do the talking. We’ve done little trolling things in the past, but usually it’s within the team to hype one another (dancing to renegade) not a shot at the other team. But that’s more preference than anything. Peters is kind of a d-bag, so no surprise there. 😛 

- I wonder if we will try to exploit that with our speed - getting down field and taking shots to force you to hold/pi. 

- yep. If it’s just a matter of each of us playing to our strengths, Pass always beats run. But it’ll be a situation to see who has the cleaner game.

Agreed to disagree re: logo celebration. But yeah Marcus is....eccentric? I'll say that haha

• Haha (+1) 1

Nate Burleson is droning on today about how awesome Lamar Jackson is and how he is "Super Bowl" Lamar.  Peter Schrager said, "we are drooling over the Ravens and Lamar, but he put up 20 points last week. That's not good enough to beat the Bills."

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In his review of the all-22 from the Colts game in The Athletic, Buscaglia raises the possibility of the Bills dressing Murphy for the Ravens game because he is better at setting the edge than either Epenesa or Johnson.  Makes sense.

4) Edge contain (and an idea for Saturday)

One element the Bills should be concerned about is how poorly the defensive ends were in edge contain at times against the Colts. It was particularly problematic for Mario Addison against Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray, since the defensive end lacked the explosiveness to make up for one false step or hesitation. In matchups against zone-read heavy quarterbacks this season, the Bills have missed Shaq Lawson. He had room for improvement, but he was often able to make up ground against the speedier quarterbacks. Epenesa has shown he can do it well so far, but he hasn’t been consistent enough. Darryl Johnson has also struggled with that part of his game since entering the league. Jerry Hughes is the lone exception.

All of that could pave the way for the Bills to activate Trent Murphy for the first time with all of their regular starters since the Arizona game in Week 10. While Murphy lacks a true pass-rushing presence, he is a good run defender and was part of the group that bottled up Lamar Jackson last season. It was one thing to allow these types of plays against the Colts, but Jackson is a much more dangerous player when able to run north to south. Containing him all starts with the defensive ends, and the Bills must improve in this area by Saturday.

1 minute ago, TPS said:

In his review of the all-22 from the Colts game in The Athletic, Buscaglia raises the possibility of the Bills dressing Murphy for the Ravens game because he is better at setting the edge than either Epenesa or Johnson.  Makes sense.

Johnson has been hurt, so Murphy may be in regardless.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

I just rewatched last years bills vs ravens game for fun.

BOY DID DAWSON KNOX SUCKKKKKK....I hope the coaches specifically reminded him of his poor performance to motivate him to have a good game. He has been more consistent as of late so hopefully he has a good game if they ask him to do the same things they did last year. He missed three KEY blocks, two got Josh killed and the other prevented a huge play. He also had two key drops as we were driving. Absolutely abysmal game by him.

Josh failed to make plays that I dont see how he fails to make this year. Period. Pass pro held up on many plays giving him time and he just didnt capitalize, opps were there, he just missed his windows. That aint happening Saturday.

A couple other big drops by receivers (cole beasley brothaaaa come on) on big chunk plays where the ball was on the money.

I don't know the stat line, but Singletary had some really nice runs and made something out of nothing, was patient....especially early on in the game. That was encouraging.

On defense, we did best when we got downhill and attacked their offense instead of sitting back and reading the RPO. Guys rushed their lanes from the snap and good things happened, id expect more of that. LOTS of 3 LB sets....it will be interesting to see how much they trust Klein to see how much true 4-3 we see. 

Question: 

I know we have a good number of guys who played football in HS or college or semi-pro or "other", and also who have coached and scouted.

Were you ever, or was anyone you played with or coached ever, motivated by being "specifically reminded of a poor performance", especially a poor performance a year ago?

IMO, one of the reasons the Bills coaches are so successful is that they never "remind players of poor performance" or hold it over them except as a specific learning experience: "see, there is just this little tiny thing that led to that problem, and if you just focus on what we're telling you here, it's solved!  And here are these 20 examples of where you successfully did just what we told you and it worked!".

Even in that game when Knox had an egregious drop, Daboll said his message to Rob Boras (TE coach) was "you better get to him right away because we're coming right back to him" .  And by "get to him" Daboll clearly meant tell him to reset and refocus because there's plenty of game left and the team needs him.  Bease said he told Knox "The great ones shake it off and make a play".  Which he did.

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Nate Burleson is droning on today about how awesome Lamar Jackson is and how he is "Super Bowl" Lamar.  Peter Schrager said, we are drooling over the Ravens and Lamar, but he put up 20 points last week. That's not good enough to beat the Bills."

yeah - I am a bit surprised many talking heads are acting like the ravens scored 35 points against a weak Tennessee defense and are going to go into Buffalo and dominate the bills offense and defense.

Ravens scored 20 against a worse defense than the Bills.

Lamar had two nice runs, one for a score, and the other to seal the game and run the clock out.

They did enough to win.  

The Bills on the other hand was in control of the game score wise in the 4th and almost did enough to lose.

I honestly think the Bills came away from the game happy but disappointed in themselves for how the game was.  They expected better.

The Ravens came out of their game like they played this amazing game which yeah it was a good defensive/running/stopping the run game but it was far from mistake free.  

I don't know.  Feel the credit given to the Ravens is a bit misleading. Not saying they can't beat the Bills because we know they can. Just not sure the talking heads are looking at the mentality of the Bills coming away from their first playoff win in 25 years and being disappointed in their play vs the ravens coming away like they are the top team in the NFL.  

Edited by CaliBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, AllDayLJ said:

Just to be clear, the Titans logo stomp was amazing. Switch Ravens for Bills and Titans for Pats and imagine it and tell me you wouldn't love every second of it.

I prefer Josh Allen's approach: "Let's keep this ***** simple.  Let them do all the talking and all the ***** dancing and we do the work!  Win on 3 - 123 WIN!"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: 

I know we have a good number of guys who played football in HS or college or semi-pro or "other", and also who have coached and scouted.

Were you ever, or was anyone you played with or coached ever, motivated by being "specifically reminded of a poor performance", especially a poor performance a year ago?

IMO, one of the reasons the Bills coaches are so successful is that they never "remind players of poor performance" or hold it over them except as a specific learning experience: "see, there is just this little tiny thing that led to that problem, and if you just focus on what we're telling you here, it's solved!  And here are these 20 examples of where you successfully did just what we told you and it worked!".

Even in that game when Knox had an egregious drop, Daboll said his message to Rob Boras (TE coach) was "you better get to him right away because we're coming right back to him" .  And by "get to him" Daboll clearly meant tell him to reset and refocus because there's plenty of game left and the team needs him.  Bease said he told Knox "The great ones shake it off and make a play".  Which he did.

I don't think coaches should bring it up, but great players self-motivate themselves.  We know Josh is aware of how he played last year vs this Ravens squad.  It's the Playoffs, so i'm sure focus isn't an issue, but if it ever was... reminding yourself of a prior struggle you want to overcome can help sharpen that focus.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

I honestly think the Bills came away from the game happy but disappointed in themselves for how the game was.  They expected better.

HA!  Yeah, I noticed that.  Listening to the Colts postgame it was like "we played well. we have the team to beat anybody.  I thought they wouldn't be able to stop us, and they couldn't." except that we did stop them and they lost. 

Listening to the Bills postgame it was like "I can't put the ball in harms way like that, I can't do that" and "they're the best defense we've faced all season but we have to do better"

It sounded as though except for the pesky little detail of the score at the end of the game (and the lead from halftime on), the Colts won.  Yeah, the Bills were happy that they won but like "we need to reset and refocus and improve, NEXT!"

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: 

I personally was always motivated by my previous bad games in football. I also love when coaches do what your saying with Knox, after a drop go right back to him to let him erase that bad memory immediately. 

In this case it was a year ago, I would be motivated by "remember how ***** you played against them last year? revenge game for ya baby". 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I prefer Josh Allen's approach: "Let's keep this ***** simple.  Let them do all the talking and all the ***** dancing and we do the work!  Win on 3 - 123 WIN!"

I think we're two ships passing in the night here - we're not comparing the same thing. LJ would never do that. He's a quiet, humble dude. However, a defense full of very aggressive players and the biggest trash talker in the league (maybe second behind Ramsey) making the INT, is a different story.

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

I personally was always motivated by my previous bad games in football. I also love when coaches do what your saying with Knox, after a drop go right back to him to let him erase that bad memory immediately. 

In this case it was a year ago, I would be motivated by "remember how ***** you played against them last year? revenge game for ya baby". 

Understood - but there's a world of difference between a player self-motivating and "I have grown a TON, here's my chance to show how much I've improved" vs. a coach rubbing their face in year-old mistakes like a puppy that pooped in the dining room.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Understood - but there's a world of difference between a player self-motivating and "I have grown a TON, here's my chance to show how much I've improved" vs. a coach rubbing their face in year-old mistakes like a puppy that pooped in the dining room.

No doubt, I agree with you. 

He sucked balls last year in that game, so much so that he was a major reason we lost. Hopefully he needs no external motivation, because you are right McD and co. wont bring it up. 

3 minutes ago, AllDayLJ said:

I think we're two ships passing in the night here - we're not comparing the same thing. LJ would never do that. He's a quiet, humble dude. However, a defense full of very aggressive players and the biggest trash talker in the league (maybe second behind Ramsey) making the INT, is a different story.

Curious here, @AllDayLJJosh Allen went off about LJ in one of his pressers this week - check it out if you haven't (if that youtube link doesn't work it's on buffalobills.com).  2:50 in though you might be interested in the start, he's talking about John Harbaugh.  He says a lot of complimentary things about Lamar as a person.  Comes across as a fanboy actually,  then of course ends with "this weekend he's the Enemy and we both know that." 

Just wondering if you've ever heard LJ be asked about Josh Allen or say anything about him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Couple thoughts.  

See some talk about the Ravens only putting 20 up on Titans, but their D really held a good offense down.  Thats what scares me the most.  Whether its Titans play calling or OL worse at pass pro than run block or Ravens are that good I dont know, but thats what worries me the most.  I am hopeful with the way we have been tested and responded all season (last week is a great example of a team that wont back down if things do go their way at all).  On Simms and Florio, I like them picking against us.  I think we have done well in those situations, and i saw rodney harrison (Dungy also eye rolled) correct Florio's line of "the Bills have to be second guessing themselves."  Both teams got a big weight of their shoulders and will be playing loose.  So excited for this game.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I think Allen was the major reason they lost that game last year.... but just about everyone offensively had a rough outing. 

Our WRs had a ***** terrible game. That’s what I remember. Josh’s game wasn’t great but they didn’t help him out at all

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I hate the idea of forcing the run..... how many times have we tried that this year? 

Well, we "forced" the run, in the sense of focusing on it and less on the pass game, against NE in our first game (they were said at the time to have a good run D), and against the Chargers 4 weeks later.  NE: 190 rush yards, 149 pass yards, Win.  San Diego: 172 rush yards, 160 pass yards, also Win.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Curious here, @AllDayLJJosh Allen went off about LJ in one of his pressers this week - check it out if you haven't (if that youtube link doesn't work it's on buffalobills.com).  2:50 in though you might be interested in the start, he's talking about John Harbaugh.  He says a lot of complimentary things about Lamar as a person.  Comes across as a fanboy actually,  then of course ends with "this weekend he's the Enemy and we both know that." 

Just wondering if you've ever heard LJ be asked about Josh Allen or say anything about him.

Hey @Hapless Bills Fan I actually saw that the other day. Just added it to the list of reasons why I like Allen. Just a good dude.

I actually just saw LJ say this yesterday:

"People are always just talking about Josh and his big arm, but he's doing it all out there," Jackson said. "He's getting out of the pocket, taking advantage of what the defense gives him, throwing the ball on a rope. He's slinging the ball like a Patrick Mahomes. He's helping his team out a lot. He's one of the key reasons they're putting up so many points and winning games. Hats off to Josh because he's been doing it since his rookie season."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1