Allen leads NFL in lowest % of uncatchable passes from a clean pocket...Wow!

Big Turk

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm so in love with Allen, I'm hopeless.   I have to defend Allen against these "chip-on-the-shoulder" claims.   Yes, I know that when asked, Allen has said he'd like to prove some people wrong, but I don't think he's driven by that.   Allen is driven simply by wanting to be good.   I think he's pure, good-natured competitor, without the edge.   There's no hate, no nastiness in the guy. 

Aaron Rodgers is the guy with the chip on the shoulder.  He's been very frank about it for years.   He's perpetually pissed off that other teams didn't take him and pissed off that the Packers sat him for three years.   There are plenty of reports about the fact that some, even many, of his teammates don't like him.   HE's quick to blame others.   I don't say any of that to dismiss his greatness - it's taken me a long time to recognize it, but he is one of a very few true greats.   His decision making, his quick delivery and arm strength, his accuracy, his running ability, everything, is superb.  But he's not very likable.  Even his State Farm ads show his tendency to lord it over others, when he throws the tennis ball out of sight or hits his driver on the run, both actions being done to show up Jake.  

Allen doesn't have that edge about him.  He's not motivated to prove people wrong.  He's motivated simply because he's always been motivated.  He was born that way or raised that way.   He was a great student in high school, and a great, motivated athlete.   He didn't go to junior college to prove anyone wrong - he went because he wanted to play, and it was the highest level of competition that wanted him.  He didn't go to Wyoming to prove anyone wrong - he went because he wanted to paly and it was the highest level that wanted him.   He didn't come to Buffalo to prove anyone wrong - he came because he wanted to play at the highest level.   He doesn't plan with anger.   He rarely, if ever, says "I told you so."  He just wants to play, and play well.  

Allen has said it himself several times that he isn’t motivated by proving people wrong, he’s motivated to prove that he’s right. That’s a more powerful mindset, imo. 

25 minutes ago, foreboding said:

I would argue that the game slowing down is also why he throws so much better. He isn't forced to play with his hair on fire and knows what is going on around him, usually before the ball is snapped. 

Think about how he dealt with the Patriots defense in the first quarter. A lot of dinking & dunking as he moved the ball with precise short passing efficiency.  Hell he looked like Tua for a quarter. Then once he and DaBold had it figured out Allen started launching missiles into the heart of the Pats secondary.  He was actually cold blooded in his evisceration of the Pats D.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

I disagree about not having a chip on his shoulder.  Again I'll point-out the interview prior to the Broncos game where he was asked about growing-up close to the area and he said, unsolicitedly, "they could have taken me at 5."

Yes, my post said I know he said that.   But he doesn't say it with passion, and he doesn't say it often.   Sure, he remembers who didn't draft him, but he isn't great because of it.  He doesn't play harder against the Broncos because they didn't take him. 

Same as the Jordan story someone posted.   Does anyone seriously believe that when he was playing for his fifth NBA championship, he played harder because he didn't make the varsity in high school?   

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Think about how he dealt with the Patriots defense in the first quarter. A lot of dinking & dunking as he moved the ball with precise short passing efficiency.  Hell he looked like Tua for a quarter. Then once he and DaBold had it figured out Allen started launching missiles into the heart of the Pats secondary.  He was actually cold blooded in his evisceration of the Pats D.

Exactly.  Once they figured out what would work, Allen was air-mailing special delivery.  

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That was game plan. Daboll had a great plan on Monday to get the Pats out of the same max coverage defense they played against us in Buffalo. Everything early was designed to attack their 2 linebacker defense on the perimeter and force their DBs up to into those shallow zones at which point the Bills could get behind them and kill them on crossers. Was an excellent plan. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, my post said I know he said that.   But he doesn't say it with passion, and he doesn't say it often.   Sure, he remembers who didn't draft him, but he isn't great because of it.  He doesn't play harder against the Broncos because they didn't take him. 

Same as the Jordan story someone posted.   Does anyone seriously believe that when he was playing for his fifth NBA championship, he played harder because he didn't make the varsity in high school?   

No, you talked about Rodgers being pissed at being passed-over, not Josh.  Unless it was on another page.

And there's no reason to have to defend him WRT having a chip.  There's nothing wrong having one.  But yes I think that while these guys have the incredible motivation you need to succeed, they also use slights, perceived or real, to motivate them further.

14 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

LOL. he said after one of Josh’s “off” weeks ( TItans maybe) that wasn’t really that off , that you could not improve accuracy from what you were at coming into the league. I don’t know if he’s said much since then. But he said this THIS YEAR is the most funny part for me

yeah it was something at halftime to the effect, josh Allen... rattled off his halftime stat line, said 55% completion ‘because that’s what he is’

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

To be fair, Allen's progress has been pretty remarkable. Most football scouts, QB's, coaches that I heard speak on this felt it was unlikely for Allen to make this leap. It seems rather unprecedented.

It's unprecedented if you ignore all the precedents. It's funny, Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aiken, two pundits that evoked the "Josh is inaccurate" and "you can't improve accuracy" BS this season, had higher overall jumps in completion percentage and TD to INT ratio than Josh has had. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, you talked about Rodgers being pissed at being passed-over, not Josh.  Unless it was on another page.

And there's no reason to have to defend him WRT having a chip.  There's nothing wrong having one.  But yes I think that while these guys have the incredible motivation you need to succeed, they also use slights, perceived or real, to motivate them further.

Not that it matters, but this is what I said in the post that you quoted:

Yes, I know that when asked, Allen has said he'd like to prove some people wrong, but I don't think he's driven by that. 

I was referring to what he said about Denver, and what I've heard him say before.   When Allen says it, he doesn't say it with any passion.   He is self-motivated, just like McDermott is.  

I'm not sure I agree that they all use slights to motivate themselves.   I don't think there's any noticeable difference in how JJ Watt plays from game to game that is attributable to the opponent one of ten teams that didn't draft him.   Does he really play differently?   Gronk had 31 teams to carry a grudge against - do you think that even ten minutes of his weekly game preparation involves thoughts about showing them what a mistake they made?   I think there are guys like that, and from reports I understand that Rodgers is one of them.  I just think there are more guys, the truly self-motivated guys, who already are 100% motivated to do their best.  Allen seems to be one of those. 

15 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

But Terry Bradshaw told us this was impossible!

The guy that had 38% completion rate his rookie season with 6 TD's to 24 INT's went on record saying QBs can't improve their accuracy? I think this guy must be suffering memory loss from all of the concussions.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

It's unprecedented if you ignore all the precedents. It's funny, Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aiken, two pundits that evoked the "Josh is inaccurate" and "you can't improve accuracy" BS this season, had higher overall jumps in completion percentage and TD to INT ratio than Josh has had. 

Not exactly right, but a good point nonetheless.   Allen's had a much bigger relative jump in completion percentage than Aikman had.  But you're absolutely right about Bradshaw.  Bradshaw actually had a negative TD to INT ratio - wow!  6 TDs and 24 INTs as a rookie.   Positively Peterman-esque!     

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The guy that had 38% completion rate his rookie season with 6 TD's to 24 INT's went on record saying QBs can't improve their accuracy? I think this guy must be suffering memory loss from all of the concussions.

You know, Bradshaw was very much like Allen coming out of college.   He was a number 1 pick overall in the draft, which is what Allen was projected to be.  He was a number one pick because he hadn't play college ball at a high level, but he had unbelievable upside.   Steelers took him and just stuck him out there and said "play!"  They were willing to live through the pain of getting him the learning curve.

Bills made the same draft-day decision but planned to give Allen the opportunity to grow on the bench for a while.  But soon they just put him out there and said "play!" 

In both cases, the organization said "we'll live with the pain because we believe the guy will grow in ways that will give us the upside of his talent without the downside of things he has to learn."  Steelers were rewarded, and the Bills are being rewarded.  

You're right - it's interesting that Bradshaw doesn't seem to recognize that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I disagree about not having a chip on his shoulder.  Again I'll point-out the interview prior to the Broncos game where he was asked about growing-up close to the area and he said, unsolicitedly, "they could have taken me at 5."

Right. He also talks all the time about the motivation he derived from not being recruited by any big college. But wanting to prove people wrong doesn't have to mean he's any less admirable. I admit the "chip on his shoulder" cliche isn't quite accurate. He's not oversensitive or spoiling for a fight. As he said himself, he wants to prove himself right, not so much others wrong. That rings more true than "he has a chip on his shoulder."

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Not exactly right, but a good point nonetheless.   Allen's had a much bigger relative jump in completion percentage than Aikman had.  But you're absolutely right about Bradshaw.  Bradshaw actually had a negative TD to INT ratio - wow!  6 TDs and 24 INTs as a rookie.   Positively Peterman-esque!     

Aiken's 52% completion his rookie year with 9TD's to 18INTs compared to his 69% completion rate his fifth year is the same level of increase, though he only threw 15TD's to 6 INTs.

Aiken had a much worse rookie year than Allen, going 0-11. By his 3rd year he had improved to 65% completion. Clearly not as good of a third year as Josh, but certainly a precident. 

56 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Not that it matters, but this is what I said in the post that you quoted:

I was referring to what he said about Denver, and what I've heard him say before.   When Allen says it, he doesn't say it with any passion.   He is self-motivated, just like McDermott is.  

I'm not sure I agree that they all use slights to motivate themselves.   I don't think there's any noticeable difference in how JJ Watt plays from game to game that is attributable to the opponent one of ten teams that didn't draft him.   Does he really play differently?   Gronk had 31 teams to carry a grudge against - do you think that even ten minutes of his weekly game preparation involves thoughts about showing them what a mistake they made?   I think there are guys like that, and from reports I understand that Rodgers is one of them.  I just think there are more guys, the truly self-motivated guys, who already are 100% motivated to do their best.  Allen seems to be one of those. 

Yes.  At the very least against the Bills. 

And I can't say they all do it.  But not passionately yelling about what a mistake others made doesn't mean it doesn't motivate them.  Again the fact that Josh brought it up himself means it registered with him.  If it hadn't, he wouldn't have brought it up unless asked at least.