2020 MVP Race - Has Mahomes been incredibly lucky?

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Allen plays well these next two weeks (now that they will have to play week 17). I personally thinks he locks up the MVP. 

14 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree. I would think 8 total tds would almost surefire Josh as the MVP...min of 4.  Allen with 38, prior to MNF, Mahomes with 40 after today.

mahomes has about 800 yards on Josh, which is why I think he needs to surpass Mahomes by at least 2-3 tds.  Also Mahomes with fewer turnovers, albeit some fortunate as mentioned.  

Given Mahomes notoriety and Chiefs record, it will be tough but doable.  

He definitely will have to continue to play like he has in these last two games to have a chance and I think that it will certainly help his cause to surpass Mahomes by a few touchdowns. Personally, I think he has already earned it. He is definitely the most improved QB over last year increasing his completion percentage by nearly 10 points, increased his accuracy; especially with his long ball, had fewer interceptions, more passing touchdowns from last year, more passing yards from last year, not to mention waaaay better pocket presence.

All that said, I still don't think they will give it to him. The entire league is Mahomes happy right now, they have been since he started playing. Don't get me wrong, he is an outstanding player and will probably if he continues to play in the prolific manner that he has; will one day be in the HOF, but I don't think that he is this years MVP and it's not even close in my eyes.

Call me a cynic but I think it's the "stigma" of him playing in Buffalo. I think the league hates it when any small market team not named Green Bay Packers have strong tough teams that compete and beat larger market teams. Or worse yet have elite players that they can't just ignore.  

Edited by BigPappy

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Imo it is in the Name. MVP. Chiefs are LOADED. They are expected to do this. Bills were not thought about as a team they are. Neither was Allen. Add in the POTW and there is more accolades for the “lesser” Allen. 

both Allen and McD should win their End of Year Honors. 

The Bills are also loaded. Just because Allen wasn't expected to put up these numbers , it shouldn't relate to more votes.  Neither team would be anywhere without their QB's.

5 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

I don't want Josh to win MVP.  I'm glad he's in the race, but if he wins MVP before his next contract, what will said contract look like?

I'd rather he win it AFTER his next contract.

Yeah, I'd rather have him win the SB than the MVP...... Oh my, the contract implications of that one. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Watching his game against the Falcons, I could not believe his luck with two sure interceptions floored. So I google “Mahomes dropped interceptions” and whoa - here is what I find (16 dropped INTs on the season!!!)

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2134267854748/patrick-mahomes-sets-ignominious-nfl-record

And Allen has had just the opposite - with INTs being called on catches made by TEs.

PS: This is not to piss on Mahomes, who is an otherworldly talent - but the article does show that Mahomes’ stats are a wee bit inflated. Several dropped INT drives have ended in TDs thrown by Mahomes (like today). 

Hope MVP voters see this and take it into account.

Well, unless your Pff those interceptions didn’t happen, ya can’t start dinging players and teams for things that didn’t happen.  Close calls don’t count. Jmo...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

Has a player ever won offensive player of the week for their conference 5 times and not won the MVP? Jackson won the award 5 times last year in his MVP season. Allen currently has won the award 4 times this year. 90% of the time that leads to the MVP. Culpepper was an exception back in 2003. But the Vikings were 8-8. Allen and the Bills may go 13-3, same record as Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

Looking at the numbers from QB's in the conference this week, Allen will need to match or better around 330 yards and 3TD's to have a legitimate shot at his 5th weekly honor. Will depend a lot on our game plan tonight but 330 yards and 3 TD's seems within Allen's grasp.

19 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

IMO, Rodgers pretty much locked up the MVP last night...

Probably. I just keep thinking this would be a great year for Co-MVP's. I mean if Allen finishes with 45 total TD's and just under 5,000 total yards and has the same 13-3 record as Rodgers while winning 4 or 5 offensive player of the week honors I don't see how Allen doesn't get a healthy split of the vote. 

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Rodgers should get it at this point, imo. He's the most valuable to his team. It seems that the Packers have the least amount of talent among all the playoff-bound teams, but they're rolling. Rodgers is on fire.

He's rolling but he's also supported by the best ground game of the three top candidates. We should keep that aspect of the game in mind before we declare that he as the least amount of talent around him.  His efficiency is through the roof this year. It's usually always high with him but likely the best of his career this year in part because he isn't asked to do the heavy lifting by himself between the 20's like Allen and Mahomes are asked to do.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

IMO, Rodgers pretty much locked up the MVP last night...

Mahomes lost it yesterday and Rodgers doubled down last night in case there was anyone left on the fence.  It's over.  If it's not unanimous, it's only because some KC-aligned voter, votes for Patty.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Probably. I just keep thinking this would be a great year for Co-MVP's. I mean if Allen finishes with 45 total TD's and just under 5,000 total yards and has the same 13-3 record as Rodgers while winning 4 or 5 offensive player of the week honors I don't see how Allen doesn't get a healthy split of the vote. 

He would need 9 more total TDs to get to where Rodgers is right now,  with 2 games left.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He would need 9 more total TDs to get to where Rodgers is right now,  with 2 games left.  

He doesn't need to match or surpass Rodgers in total TD's.  Multiple factors are always considered. Some swing in Rodgers favor, some in Allen's favor. That said, he does need to be close. So yeah he likely needs about 8 to finish the season to stay realistically in the conversation and with in a few TD's of Rodgers. And consider if he puts up 8 over the next two games that means he has at least 5 conference player of the week awards, if not 6. 

Allen needs a huge game tonight. At least 4 TD's but 5 or 6 would be ideal. 

Couple of things are just really hurting Allen. 

1. The Hail Murray. If the Bills could finish 14-2 and better than the Packers that would have been huge. Also, the narrative that Monday morning would have been about Josh Allen as a legitimate MVP candidate. Instead the talk was all about Murray.

2. The Broncos game could have easily been a six TD game for Allen but he didn't get the breaks. Multple TD's called back on penalty on one series. Zach Moss given a bad spot and turn over on downs in another series. Jerry Huges scores a TD instead of getting tackled around the goal line. 

Rodgers should get it at this point. That does not take away from the great season Allen has had; it's just that I believe Rodgers deserves this specific award. I'd like to see Josh continue to drive up our Win/Loss record. And, let's see him maintain this kind of performance level; if he does, he will win the MVP in the future when it is warranted.

13 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

2. The Broncos game could have easily been a six TD game for Allen but he didn't get the breaks. Multple TD's called back on penalty on one series. Zach Moss given a bad spot and turn over on downs in another series. Jerry Huges scores a TD instead of getting tackled around the goal line. 

The nerve of him.  No respect for his juniors..

20 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Watching his game against the Falcons, I could not believe his luck with two sure interceptions floored. So I google “Mahomes dropped interceptions” and whoa - here is what I find (16 dropped INTs on the season!!!)

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2134267854748/patrick-mahomes-sets-ignominious-nfl-record

And Allen has had just the opposite - with INTs being called on catches made by TEs.

PS: This is not to piss on Mahomes, who is an otherworldly talent - but the article does show that Mahomes’ stats are a wee bit inflated. Several dropped INT drives have ended in TDs thrown by Mahomes (like today). 

Hope MVP voters see this and take it into account.

Do you think the MVP voters are looking at dropped interceptions?  That they are pouring over stats down to that minutia?  Touchdowns, game winning drives maybe, but I'd be shocked if they spent a lot of time researching season stats and go more by their gut feel of the season.  Most improved, Allen hands down.  Freaking guy re-learned how to throw a football this past off season, that's insane.  MVP I suspect though goes to the "sexier" team situation and better known player who, as you say, has displayed "otherworldly talent" this season as well.

Edited by CodeMonkey

18 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Rodgers should get it at this point. That does not take away from the great season Allen has had; it's just that I believe Rodgers deserves this specific award. 

Why?  There is certainly no significant statistical difference between their seasons.  So what is it that makes you so convinced that Rodgers deserves to win the MVP over Josh Allen?  Have you just been listening to Chris Collinsworth too much?