NFL Seeking to move to 17 game season in 2021

BuffaloBill

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-plans-to-expand-regular-season-to-17-games-per-team-in-2021

The move is all about revenue from the extra broadcast week. The article does not discuss player sentiment on the issue. Given the impact of injuries and issues like CTE I would guess that many players will be opposed to this change.

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

The CBA is called "collective" for a reason. The players negotiated this with the league; it states so twice in the first two paragraphs of that article.

Their sentiments are a moot point once the pen hits the paper. Don't like it, don't sign it.

That is not how NFLPA plays the game.  They get what they can in negotiations and then their laywers try to get what they can't in court. 

NFL needs a divorce from their "partner".

From what John Clayton said on WGR, the 17th game will come from the other conference and from a division that you hadn't played last year and isn't the crossover division that year...so for instance the Bills could not play a team from the NFC West in game 17 next year due to us playing the division this year.

Edited by Big Turk

Exactly what we need, more meaningless football games at the end of the year. Haven't we seen enough of something like the Bills vs Dolphins both at 7 or less wins in the last game of the season...now they want to add another on the end with teams who have no chance to make the playoffs in a sport with that level of injury risk. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If they’re already moving back the Super Bowl and not committed to that first weekend in February, why not also add in another bye week?

Increasing the number of competitive games takes a toll injury-wise and on time apart from family. NFL had two byes during the Kelly years. I don’t know why they stopped it. Especially with the COVID situation fouling up scheduling, it would have been very helpful this season if they had put an extra bye this year.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

From what John Clayton said on WGR, the 17th game will come from the other conference and from a division that you hadn't played last year and isn't the crossover division that year...so for instance the Bills could not play a team from the NFC West in game 17 next year due to us playing the division this year.

Seems totally pointless

why not make it an Inter conference game?AFC-NFC games are nonsense and do nothing for tie breakers at the end of the season 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-plans-to-expand-regular-season-to-17-games-per-team-in-2021

The move is all about revenue from the extra broadcast week. The article does not discuss player sentiment on the issue. Given the impact of injuries and issues like CTE I would guess that many players will be opposed to this change.

Generally...

But I would think this is the year to convince the NFLPA. With drastic revenue changes in 2020, an extended season almost certainly comes with a raise in the salary cap, larger roster, and an added game check for players. May be a way for the league to do what they've wanted for years, convince the players, and "hide" some of the covid losses of revenue.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Seems totally pointless

why not make it an Inter conference game?AFC-NFC games are nonsense and do nothing for tie breakers at the end of the season 

No idea...and from what he said it didn't seem to be based on records, but more on "made for TV matchups"...so the Bills would be playing someone from the NFC North or NFC East next year since the NFC South is the crossover division and we just played the NFC West this year so that means they are not an option.

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Exactly what we need, more meaningless football games at the end of the year. Haven't we seen enough of something like the Bills vs Dolphins both at 7 or less wins in the last game of the season...now they want to add another on the end with teams who have no chance to make the playoffs in a sport with that level of injury risk. 

Agreed.  I love football but nothing about adding a regular season game to an already long season excites me.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm getting a bit tired of the greed.  

Am I off on that? Is there something I haven't read about where owners and the NFL in general is struggling financially?  Because all I see is a bunch of super-rich dudes who can't possibly spend the money they have, wanting more money.

I don't like that the Bills wait over 20 years to get the 2 seed and still have to play on WC weekend, and I don't like the idea of 17 games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Success said:

Am I off on that? Is there something I haven't read about where owners and the NFL in general is struggling financially?  Because all I see is a bunch of super-rich dudes who can't possibly spend the money they have, wanting more money.

I don't like that the Bills wait over 20 years to get the 2 seed and still have to play on WC weekend, and I don't like the idea of 17 games.

Meh. I think if the "greed" overlaps with fandom it can be mutually beneficial.

One of the things about the NFL and how short the season is, is that each game matters sooo much, almost too much sometimes. Not that I would want an 82 or 160 something game season, but more games will likely move the more deserving teams closer to the top, as the "outliers" should correct somewhat closer to the mean. 

I wouldn't say I neccesarily " for" added game(s), but I don't have a problem with it. 

Totally agree about seeding and adding playoff teams though. Hate that.

3 hours ago, Success said:

I’m with you!

The schedule format now is literally perfect. This is just a stupid cash grab at the expense of the product. I didn’t like expanding the playoffs and I don’t like expanding the regular season even more than that that. 

That said, dammit if I’m not watching while Josh and Diggs are out there balling. So I guess we are just the chumps that whine and then give in.

Edited by Big C
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Should this go through, will they continue the new IR & PS rules? I think it is likely they do.