How do we keep Daboll around?

Jacksonville has a lot of things going for it especially with the #1 pick locked up. That said I think organizationally they are suspect. If Daboll is going to go there as HC I hope he gets strong and specific language preventing ownership doing a bait and switch. As the Bills have shown there needs to be stability and the process takes time to bring change. I'd be worried that as soon as the Jags taste any kind of success ownership will forget about the process and meddle.

1 minute ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

If Saint Doug gets fired, that job belongs to Eric Bienemy and no one else. The league will do everything in its power to get him that job. He deserves it, if he wants it. 

The league can't wont force a guy on a specific franchise. There'll be several jobs available with good or really good QBs for Biememy to work his magic. He might prefer to work with a proven guy like Watson over the rookie in Jacksonville

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

The league can't wont force a guy on a specific franchise. There'll be several jobs available with good or really good QBs for Biememy to work his magic. He might prefer to work with a proven guy like Watson over the rookie in Jacksonville

You don’t think that the league PR machine, which Kahn is a part of, would see the value in putting Bienemy and Lawrence together. 

Jacksonville is loaded with defensive talent. They need a coach and someone who has the confidence of the Kahn family, to do what’s been done in Buffalo. Bienemy has been ready to run a team, and groom a QB, for a few years now. 

It makes more sense there, than any other place for him. 

37 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

You don’t think that the league PR machine, which Kahn is a part of, would see the value in putting Bienemy and Lawrence together. 

Jacksonville is loaded with defensive talent. They need a coach and someone who has the confidence of the Kahn family, to do what’s been done in Buffalo. Bienemy has been ready to run a team, and groom a QB, for a few years now. 

It makes more sense there, than any other place for him. 

I'm not saying that he won't end up there. I'm saying that he will have choices and that it'll be up to him. 

I thought your original point was that he would be forced on the Kahn family by the league. I'm just saying that he will have multiple suiters. My guess is he'll end up in Houston with Watson.

On 12/20/2020 at 8:40 AM, DaggersEOD said:

I think if we “back up the brinks truck” for him to show that we acknowledge his skills/talent it could blunt the draw of a HC position. 

I have also heard that him and JA are like BFFs and that has to count for something. 

I think being a part of a potentially historic team is better than a potential HC position where we can potentially fall on his face when he doesn’t have a transcendent QB. 

I can't believe they didn't offer an extension already. 

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm not saying that he won't end up there. I'm saying that he will have choices and that it'll be up to him. 

I thought your original point was that he would be forced on the Kahn family by the league. I'm just saying that he will have multiple suiters. My guess is he'll end up in Houston with Watson.

Houston just has so little talent, no cap space (which i still don’t understand who they are paying) and they have limited draft capital. 

You need a franchise QB to win it all. But you need a franchise first, and Houston is a total mess. To me, Jacksonville is the team. 

On 12/26/2020 at 1:40 PM, BillsVet said:

You don't keep Daboll.    

This is the territory Bills fans have not been in for years: having a good team with coaches who may be prospects for HC jobs.

Same as having good players you choose not to re-sign because they play positions of lesser value.  And so, you have to replace them via the draft and allocate cap dollars to more important positions.

This is the price of success.  I will take it every year if it means having an 11+ win team.

I get that people like familiarity with players, coaches, front office staff, etc.  But things change and good teams identify those you can't exist without.  Right now, Buffalo identified 2 as McD and Beane in management.  On-field, for now, it's Allen, Dawkins, Tre, and I guess we'll find out. 

Enjoy the ride.   

This.

Plus if the Bills can become a farm system for other teams head coaching openings,  we are going to attract the best coordinators and position coaches which will ultimately keep this engine running at full throttle. 

On 12/20/2020 at 9:40 AM, DaggersEOD said:

I think if we “back up the brinks truck” for him to show that we acknowledge his skills/talent it could blunt the draw of a HC position. 

I have also heard that him and JA are like BFFs and that has to count for something. 

I think being a part of a potentially historic team is better than a potential HC position where we can potentially fall on his face when he doesn’t have a transcendent QB. 

Problem is, Jax and LA would both have that kind of QB.

If we don't win the SB, I can see Dabol maybe trying to stay and continue that goal with Josh. As we know they're extremely close. 

If we win it all or even win the AFC , I think he's gone ,maybe his great bonds here can keep him for another year or 2. 

Has Ken Dorsey ever been an OC?

Has any recent coordinators declined a HC job? Josh McDaniels? Did he get an offer after Denver? Can't remember.  

I’m curious to see how Covid protocols and playoff teams will factor into the hires this off season. Playoff teams will likely block in-person interviews until they’re out of the hunt. That might provide an advantage to coordinators on teams that are out of the hunt early. Some of the owners and GMs might not want to wait until after the super bowl to see a HC hire face to face. That last point is really the only way I see Daboll being here next season.... assuming he won’t just take the Pettine route of grabbing whatever HC job he can. 

On 12/27/2020 at 3:30 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

The good thing is Josh Allen is our QB which would make this a top desired opening.  It’s not like it was when Tyrod was our QB.

Perfect fit for a young up and comer who needs to beef up their resume to get their HC opportunity.

Sean McDermott would be Don Corleone.  

Seems more likely that we promote from within instead of hiring an outsider who would probably want to run their own scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

Technically, there is no salary cap on coaches. So they could simply offer him HC money to stay. Trouble is, front offices won't pay coordinators HC money because it would set a bad precedent. I believe this kind of thing would be frowned on by the league's owners. 

You would think he would be motivated to stick around because it's his home town, he has been very successful here, and it's become an enviable organization to work for. I'm sure he makes a comfortable enough salary, too. Being a head coach isn't for everyone - maybe he understands the grass isn't always greener and just stays put.