How do we keep Daboll around?

On 12/20/2020 at 7:09 PM, mabden said:

Give Daboll a lot of money in an extended contract with a clause stipulating that if the Bills win a Super Bowl,  he is free to pursue Head Coaching options.

NFL already has a policy that if a coach is taking a head coach position and a team cannot enforce contract.

On 12/21/2020 at 12:38 AM, reddogblitz said:

We have to start the McDermott coaching tree 🌳sometime.

How do you feel about how him being in both McDermott and Billicheat trees?

Clearly so fair he has not picked up the cheating trait from Billicheat gene so that gene may be recessive.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:49 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

I would feel alot less threatened by him if he was in Houston instead of Jacksonville or LA.

Houston is  a good and bad choice...

good -  He has a franchise QB in Watson with skill sets similar to Allen

bad -    Brien mortgaged the future of that team and left them high and dry in the draft well.  The draft is sort of the lynch pin to bringing up a successful franchise and Daboll will be heavily hand cuffed 

• Like (+1) 1

First, we should never try and hold back a Coordinator for an opportunity for the job he’s always wanted which is what every Coordinator wants to accomplish.  The exceptions I can think of is Monte Kiffin might have taken a College Head Coaching job, but at his age, he was happy with a phenomenal defense in Tampa.  The Glaziers at Gruden’s request made him the highest paid Coordinaotr in the league and they won the SB in 2002.  Living here, it was the talk non-stop down here.  He stayed a couple more years and when Gruden started taking the team down by trying to get every over the hill player, Kiffin went to Tenn.

The other is obvious Josh McDaniels is just out waiting BB.

For Daboll, I can see two teams perfect for him.  He goes to Houston on the contingency he gets to take Gaine with him as the GM.  They have a good relationship so a perfect match.  He has Watson and there are still good players on that team.

The other is he has a relationship with Telesco as they both went to St. Francis within a couple of years (as well as Dave Caldwell and Chris Polian).  Lynn is all but gone.  Telesco would love to have Daboll groom their young QB, in Herbert.  He’d be crazy to go to the Jests, Falcons, or Detroit.  They have too much work ahead of them.  With having a QB in place, amd the Chargers have over $33.5 mil. In cap space next year.  The Texans are -$13.9 mil. and a lack of draft picks, if offered both, he should take the Chargers.

The Chargers have a lot of talent on that team.  It’s one of the rare examples that’s true they are better than their record.

20 hours ago, Limeaid said:

NFL already has a policy that if a coach is taking a head coach position and a team cannot enforce contract.

But don't we get a draft pick

I honestly think he stays and signs an extension.  He is a good fit.  Home town.  Loves the team. 

On 12/20/2020 at 10:04 AM, Big Gun said:

Daboll will get interviews but IMHO he won't be selected as a head coach. I just don't think he is head coach material.

Could be, I don’t know a thing about him personally.  Just because you are a great coordinator, doesn’t mean you are a head coach.  The roles are very different and to be honest, had Josh not developed, Dabolls history is not good. His refusal to change his scheme to meet the talent of his team is also worrisome.  He may be here for longer than the paranoid think, but then again Gase got a job sooo.

2 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Daboll is a product of Allen.

Daboll needs Allen.

Allen doesn't need Daboll.

Last year makes your statements look correct.  Lest we forget, his scheme played against everything his roster did well, this year Allen turns into a monster, with no formal off season to speak of and Daboll becomes a genius.. 

9 hours ago, akcash said:

Anybody think Daboll and Schoen will go as a package deal somewhere? 

Daboll and someone.  Gaine, Schoen, Dawson or Morgan.  I feel multiple bodies will be getting poached after we win the Super Bowl

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Could be, I don’t know a thing about him personally.  Just because you are a great coordinator, doesn’t mean you are a head coach.  The roles are very different and to be honest, had Josh not developed, Dabolls history is not good. His refusal to change his scheme to meet the talent of his team is also worrisome.  He may be here for longer than the paranoid think, but then again Gase got a job sooo.

Last year makes your statements look correct.  Lest we forget, his scheme played against everything his roster did well, this year Allen turns into a monster, with no formal off season to speak of and Daboll becomes a genius.. 

Daboll is just an instrument the anti-JA media uses to take credit away from JA. Nothing more. 

Do not fall for it. Daboll is a nobody. Before 2020, nobody ever talked about Daboll in a positive light. JA will win MVP next season by taking another big leap WITHOUT Daboll. Daboll will have a losing record coaching another team with a different QB. By then, everyone will realize that JA created Daboll, which I knew from the beginning.

Edited by JoshAllenReceipts

14 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Daboll is a product of Allen.

Daboll needs Allen.

Allen doesn't need Daboll.

They need each other. Neither will be quite as good without the other. 

It's harder to find an Allen than a Daboll, but Herbert or Watson are extremely good-looking young QBs.

Daboll was considered smart and a good OC since he got here. He had a head coaching interview last year, so the argument he wasn't talked about positively till now is pure nonsense. He's damn smart. Doesn't guarantee he'll be a good HC, but he's without question an excellent OC.

It's not a sure thing Daboll goes but that's the way to bet. If he does, who they get to replace him will be important.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know it isn’t about this, but...a start might be making him the highest paid offensive coordinator in NFL history.

...I just think there will be too many jobs with good young QBs, especially the Chargers.

There will likely be 8 job openings, many with good young QB's now, or will be drafted with the top 2 picks this season.  I imagine it's going to be difficult to turn down a 5 year 15 million dollar contract. I think it's a safe bet that he is gone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's harder to find an Allen than a Daboll, but Herbert or Watson are extremely good-looking young QBs.

Daboll was considered smart and a good OC since he got here. He had a head coaching interview last year, so the argument he wasn't talked about positively till now is pure nonsense. He's damn smart. Doesn't guarantee he'll be a good HC, but he's without question an excellent OC.

It's not a sure thing Daboll goes but that's the way to bet. If he does, who they get to replace him will be important.

Allen doesn't need Daboll. Like, not even a teeny bit.

Allen will be even better in 2021 without Daboll. Allen will be the League MVP in 2021 without Daboll.

I sure as hell hope that Daboll does go. That way Josh can dominate without him, and kill another false narrative.

All Josh does is kill false narratives. This whole Daboll thing is just the latest false narrative that Allen is going to destroy down the line.

Good. Always need a false narrative to keep Allen motivated.

5 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Daboll is just an instrument the anti-JA media uses to take credit away from JA. Nothing more. 

Do not fall for it. Daboll is a nobody. Before 2020, nobody ever talked about Daboll in a positive light. JA will win MVP next season by taking another big leap WITHOUT Daboll. Daboll will have a losing record coaching another team with a different QB. By then, everyone will realize that JA created Daboll, which I knew from the beginning.

Rick Dennison is available; he is offensive line coach and run game coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings.

That would establish if Daboll is a nobody or Daboll has helped make Allen the QB he is.

The fact that Daboll gets an idea and calls Allen tends to indicate it is a cooperative effort.

• Like (+1) 1

You don't keep Daboll.    

This is the territory Bills fans have not been in for years: having a good team with coaches who may be prospects for HC jobs.

Same as having good players you choose not to re-sign because they play positions of lesser value.  And so, you have to replace them via the draft and allocate cap dollars to more important positions.

This is the price of success.  I will take it every year if it means having an 11+ win team.

I get that people like familiarity with players, coaches, front office staff, etc.  But things change and good teams identify those you can't exist without.  Right now, Buffalo identified 2 as McD and Beane in management.  On-field, for now, it's Allen, Dawkins, Tre, and I guess we'll find out. 

Enjoy the ride.