Ravens Brown - End of Game

BillsIsrael

I might not be so knowledgeable in the fine details and strategy of the game - but it looked strange to me that the  Ravens kicked off after the FG with 2 seconds left and kicked out of the end zone. Giving the Browns one more play. Logic would say to squib kick the ball and by the time they pick it up and get tackled the game is over.
Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

Just now, BillsIsrael said:

I might not be so knowledgeable in the fine details and strategy of the game - but it looked strange to me that the  Ravens kicked off after the FG with 2 seconds left and kicked out of the end zone. Giving the Browns one more play. Logic would say to squib kick the ball and by the time they pick it up and get tackled the game is over.

You're not wrong. 

2 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

The thread on the Browns Ravens game thats already started perhaps

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsIsrael said:

It's likely a fumblerooski either way.  The problem with kickoffs is every player is 70 yards down field running towards the returner.  If you get the offense out there you can match personnel, and they have to come up with something.  You can have multiple DB's out there at different levels, and may have a strategy to screw up their plan.  

It's a gamble , would you rather have one play with a set defense on the field or rely on special teams.  Don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

One of the Bills games every kick by Bass was shallow enough so fielded and returned but usually not as far as 25 yard line.  Bills scored in last minute, next kickoff was real deep so no return.  Thought was interesting when game was on the line they preferred to take their chance on playing defense.  Granted was more than a few seconds left, actually think it was the Arizona game so know how that worked out.

21 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

they opted not to risk a return on the kickoff and instead forced the cleveland offense to try a trick play, which ended up resulting in a safety. 

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You may be.  If the Browns fall on it and the guy "gives himself up", it's treated like a fair catch and no time runs.  With good field position, they get one chance at a Hail Mary.

If its short enough, I think they can fair catch and then get a free kick to put up points.........anybody know if that's right?

7 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

If its short enough, I think they can fair catch and then get a free kick to put up points.........anybody know if that's right?

It has to be fair caught in the air.  If they kick it on the ground, I don't think they can do a free kick.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

If I’m the trailing receiving team, I’d rather have a chance to throw a Hail Mary and get a defensive pass interference call which give us another play with no time on the clock.   I’ve seen plenty of Hail Marys completed.  I’ve seen plenty of DPIs called.  I haven’t seen very many multiple lateral plays work.

I believe that you’re right.  Squib it. 

Iirc, a kick returner can kneel immediately after they catch it and stop the play.  Could be wrong

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Either way, I feel pretty bad for the people who took the Browns at +3.

Not me, Ravens wiped the floor with them first game. Browns are okay, but have an inflated record with those pathetic teams they've beat (besides Titans). Didnt really seem like a wise bet to me before the game. Helluva game though I must say. And whats up with the Ravens' d lately?