Cool Stats: Allen Against Top-5 Defenses

Excerpt from Mike Sando in The Athletic:

The Bills have a really good record against highly ranked defenses.

With the Bills facing the Steelers, I went through their games during Allen’s nearly three seasons as the starter to see how they’ve fared against top defenses in general. Each defense from 2018, 2019 and 2020 was ranked No. 1 through No. 32 in EPA per game, with games against Buffalo excluded from the calculations to avoid biasing the rankings.

The Allen-led Bills are 7-3 against top-five defenses over the past three seasons, including 4-0 this season after beating the Los Angeles Rams (No. 1), Steelers (No. 2), Miami Dolphins (No. 4) and San Francisco 49ers (No. 5). Allen had 14 touchdown passes with two interceptions and four total turnovers in those games. He averaged 8.9 yards per pass attempt, 0.39 EPA per attempt and 335 yards per game against those teams, with a 121.8 passer rating. After neither offense accomplished much in the first half Sunday, Allen completed 14 of 20 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns to close out the Steelers, twice converting on longer than third-and-10.

[Full article (paywall): https://theathletic.com/2255570/2020/12/14/josh-allen-bills-afc-east/ ]

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

Yup. Told a business mentor last night (who’s a ‘Boys fan) that Josh is at his best in big games...especially nationally televised games. Man he’s good. 

The nerds @ PFF trying to come up with a new category so they can throw shade at Allen after reading this. 

Pff GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

With the Bills facing the Steelers, I went through their games during Allen’s nearly three seasons as the starter to see how they’ve fared against top defenses in general. Each defense from 2018, 2019 and 2020 was ranked No. 1 through No. 32 in EPA per game, with games against Buffalo excluded from the calculations to avoid biasing the rankings.

The Allen-led Bills are 7-3 against top-five defenses over the past three seasons, including 4-0 this season after beating the Los Angeles Rams (No. 1), Steelers (No. 2), Miami Dolphins (No. 4) and San Francisco 49ers (No. 5). Allen had 14 touchdown passes with two interceptions and four total turnovers in those games. He averaged 8.9 yards per pass attempt, 0.39 EPA per attempt and 335 yards per game against those teams, with a 121.8 passer rating. After neither offense accomplished much in the first half Sunday, Allen completed 14 of 20 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns to close out the Steelers, twice converting on longer than third-and-10.

[Full article (paywall): https://theathletic.com/2255570/2020/12/14/josh-allen-bills-afc-east/ ]

Somebody should Tweet these stats to Prick Wright. He likes to come up with some BS stat line everyday that shows negative stuff about team. I don't do Twitter. Follow it up with a hashtag #eatthis.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And the first half he was just a little off and there were a few drops.  The pressure too was unrelenting.

Absolutely true but give credit to the coaching staff for halftime adjustments. The O-line played much better in the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Absolutely true but give credit to the coaching staff for halftime adjustments. The O-line played much better in the 2nd half.

Yes I am sure that was the first thing Bobby Johnson addressed.  Coach Diabolical and Dorsey get all the attention but Bobby Johnson is a very good OL coach who has been part of improvement of Buffalo Bills.

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Absolutely right.

When was the last time Bills' fans were happy with Offensive ht adjustments?

Some "fans" are never happy especially when they are winning.

1 hour ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

49ers were decimated by injury when the Bills played them, and the Dolphins were not the same D then as they are now. That said it has never been a question of your O being good enough this year but rather your D.  Now yesterday your D looked AMAZING! It plays like that the Bills could be SB bound!  The Bills will go as far as your D will take you, I don’t THINK Allen is ready to beat Mahomes in a shoot out. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

49ers were decimated by injury when the Bills played them, and the Dolphins were not the same D then as they are now. That said it has never been a question of your O being good enough this year but rather your D.  Now yesterday your D looked AMAZING! It plays like that the Bills could be SB bound!  The Bills will go as far as your D will take you, I don’t THINK Allen is ready to beat Mahomes in a shoot out. 

The 49ers had pretty much the same defense that suffocated the Rams offense the week before, and that defense was pretty much the reason the 49ers were favored by many in the game against the Bills...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

The Dolphins were not a top 5 defense when we played them week 2 (or 3 or whatever it was).  These stats are insanely misleading when you consider how NFL teams evolve throughout the season. Just look at the Bills D weeks 1-6 compared to now!

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Somebody should Tweet these stats to Prick Wright. He likes to come up with some BS stat line everyday that shows negative stuff about team. I don't do Twitter. Follow it up with a hashtag #eatthis.

You seem like the perfect person to do Twitter 

Maybe Buffalo statistically doesn't destroy Miami today but I'm sure their offense wouldn't put up the same numbers as Week 2. Either way, not to take anything away from their D but I don't see them holding the Bills under 24 points on their best day. They've been very opportunistic on D. Fumbles recovered for TDs, batted INTs and so on. I don't think that type of luck is sustainable especially against a QB that never turns it over in the RZ.