Canceling student loans

shoshin

4 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

This seems like comparing apples and oranges to me. Eliminating all student debt right now hurts far more people than it helps. It isn’t like social security where there is a benefit now and in the future. A true comparison would be if the social security system gave money only to retirees retiring during that year it was enacted. That’s why student loan forgiveness is fine, but it has to accompany something that will actually fix the overall problem. Even if it were eliminate all student loan debt and make college free for everyone, that fixes the problem. Especially since the government could then control costs as the single payer. Not saying that’s the way it should go, but simply eliminating all student loan debt does absolutely nothing to abate the problem long term. 

Eliminating student loan debt right now doesn’t hurt anyone. It helps people who have debt not have it. It helps people who do not have debt by helping to create jobs. It helps the government by increasing GDP.

this is a two step process. Fix the current debt and fix the future debt. There’s no reason not to take the steps you can take for step 1 while working on step 2.

7 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Eliminating student loan debt right now doesn’t hurt anyone. It helps people who have debt not have it. It helps people who do not have debt by helping to create jobs. It helps the government by increasing GDP.

this is a two step process. Fix the current debt and fix the future debt. There’s no reason not to take the steps you can take for step 1 while working on step 2.

Isn't it a slap in the face to those who paid down their debt early, attended cheaper schools to minimize the amount they needed to borrow, or worked full time during college?  Lowering the percentage of income driven repayment plans to maybe 5 to 10% of income seems like a more fair compromise.  Maybe reduce the student loan forgiveness to 10 years if they meet that standard.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Isn't it a slap in the face to those who paid down their debt early, attended cheaper schools to minimize the amount they needed to borrow, or worked full time during college?  Lowering the percentage of income driven repayment plans to maybe 5 to 10% of income seems like a more fair compromise.  Maybe reduce the student loan forgiveness to 10 years if they meet that standard.

Who cares if it’s a slap in the face? Where in the constitution does it say, all laws must be created so there is no slap in the faces. No matter what law is passed there are always winners and losers:

-  the example I gave before, when they passed social security, was that a slap in the face to the people who actually saved for retirement?

- when they passed TCJAs flat 21 percent corporate tax rate, was that a slap in the face for the smaller corporations that were at a lower tax bracket the year before?

- When they passed CARES act and only allowed PPP funds based on W-2s paid, was that a slap in the face of companies who only use 1099 contractors?

- When weed is finally legal and people in jail on weed convictions are let out, is that a slap in the face of the people who did their full time for their weed convictions?

and to the people who did pay things off early or make sacrifices, they benefit too as it will increase GDP and create jobs. So while they don’t get an immediate gratification of seeing a decreased loan balance, they get a better economy to live in.

Just think of this as a tax cut designed to help stimulate the economy.

Good discussion on a great topic.  I'm 50 and beyond the student loans but my ex wife I think still pays at 50.  My daughter will start college next fall.

First, you cannot do blanket forgiveness, because it teaches irresponsibility to the former students and to the higher education schools.  The entire process of going to a place of higher education is them figuring out how much money they can drain from you legally and sometimes illegally.  Blanket forgiveness will boomerang into new problems.  Targeted forgiveness of terms and dollars is the way to go.

Second, in the current system, if you're not going to reform the tuition system significantly, the government needs to have a much more structured plan post-education administered by well paid and trained people who are going to empower former students.

Here are some of the main problems beyond the compounding cost of college education I see.  Drop-outs.  Degrees and communities with lower wages making repayment almost impossible.  For-profit colleges that exploit poorer students.  Over-emphasis on college education out of high school.  Lack of cohesive plan of post education repayment with helpful people.

My personal experiences:. Paid loans off in 9 years for my BS in biochemistry. 

Ex-wife defaulted on her loans and I spent the entirety of our marriage (12 years) paying on it to get it back down to the original principal. Calculated we already payed back original principal, interest +$1500 and default fees ($3200).  She had been paying for 4 when we met.

Ex-wife worked as instructor at for-profit college that recruited and targeted inner city kids knowing full well most would fail.  The goal was simply to milk them for as much federal money as possible until they quit or graduated.

Solutions:. 1. Emphasize viability of trade schools in HS.  Emphasize motivation and goals for college education.

2.  Drop-outs have to repay loans, but this group should get the most forgiveness contingent on volunteerism and career, personal and financial counseling.

3.  System of volunteerism for any post-college student in conjunction with businesses to work off college loans in spare time.  Including online tasks.

4.  Defaulted loans:. Legal summons to emphasize seriousness.  Waiver of penalty fees after demonstrated period of dependable payments.  Restructuring of loan terms.  Helpful, well-trained people.

5.  Caps on how much is owed once original principal + interest has been repayed.

Sorry for the length of this, too many opinions!😉

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or.....How about if you borrow money you have to pay it back? Are we really having this discussion in America? 

How about you realize it isn't that simple?

How about you listen to some real stories and understand there's a big problem here for many?

It's a complex problem, where people who have every intention of paying their loans don't have the means when they finish.

Then there's the kids who have a high school diploma on paper but the school failed them and pushed them out.  They get hard-sold hope at a for-profit college and when they fail out now they have the government coming after them for a ton of money.

Myself, I'm saying get creative in repaying these loans and also fix the federal loan repayment system.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or.....How about if you borrow money you have to pay it back? Are we really having this discussion in America? 

Are not we always? Limited Liability has been used for a real long time. Jim Kelly just blew off his debts he owed after his restaurant went belly up, like he can’t afford to pay those that supplied his restaurant back. Happens all the time in the business world. You think Trump was shy about using that? 

5 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Good discussion on a great topic.  I'm 50 and beyond the student loans but my ex wife I think still pays at 50.  My daughter will start college next fall.

First, you cannot do blanket forgiveness, because it teaches irresponsibility to the former students and to the higher education schools.  The entire process of going to a place of higher education is them figuring out how much money they can drain from you legally and sometimes illegally.  Blanket forgiveness will boomerang into new problems.  Targeted forgiveness of terms and dollars is the way to go.

Second, in the current system, if you're not going to reform the tuition system significantly, the government needs to have a much more structured plan post-education administered by well paid and trained people who are going to empower former students.

Here are some of the main problems beyond the compounding cost of college education I see.  Drop-outs.  Degrees and communities with lower wages making repayment almost impossible.  For-profit colleges that exploit poorer students.  Over-emphasis on college education out of high school.  Lack of cohesive plan of post education repayment with helpful people.

My personal experiences:. Paid loans off in 9 years for my BS in biochemistry. 

Ex-wife defaulted on her loans and I spent the entirety of our marriage (12 years) paying on it to get it back down to the original principal. Calculated we already payed back original principal, interest +$1500 and default fees ($3200).  She had been paying for 4 when we met.

Ex-wife worked as instructor at for-profit college that recruited and targeted inner city kids knowing full well most would fail.  The goal was simply to milk them for as much federal money as possible until they quit or graduated.

Solutions:. 1. Emphasize viability of trade schools in HS.  Emphasize motivation and goals for college education.

2.  Drop-outs have to repay loans, but this group should get the most forgiveness contingent on volunteerism and career, personal and financial counseling.

3.  System of volunteerism for any post-college student in conjunction with businesses to work off college loans in spare time.  Including online tasks.

4.  Defaulted loans:. Legal summons to emphasize seriousness.  Waiver of penalty fees after demonstrated period of dependable payments.  Restructuring of loan terms.  Helpful, well-trained people.

5.  Caps on how much is owed once original principal + interest has been repayed.

Sorry for the length of this, too many opinions!😉

How does it teach irresponsibility to the former students? They’re not going to go out and go back to school with more debt.

If anything the current system requires irresponsibility. For example in the 2008ish recession many people went back to school, taking out more loans after they were fired due to the recession just because that would freeze student loan companies from trying to collect.

The current generation really got the short end of the stick. The boomers had a time period when college was dirt cheap. When college costs started increasing they were able to use bankruptcy to discharge their student loans as well.

Blanket cancellation will help drive the economy. If anyone here is pro-tax cuts because it will help the economy should be pro-blanket forgiveness due to the greater economic impact at a similar price.

Colleges need reform on ballooning costs. Really, a Bernie plan of free higher education would be ideal across the board.

Your point 4 doesn’t work and is really a disguised attack on the poorer class. As of 2019 there’s 5.2 million defaulted federal loans. They’re typically defaulted because they can’t pay because they don’t make enough money to pay. Plus you’re needlessly clogging up the legal system.

My solution:

1. Program to consolidate private student loan debt into federal student loan debt

2. blanket forgiveness on Federal student loan debt

3. 100 percent excise tax on colleges salaries in excess of $500,000. Money goes to a fund to pay #2.

4. Federal tax credit of $100,000 a year, allowable for $25,000 a year over a 4 year period. Payable directly to the colleges.

5. Any college where tuition is more than $25,000 a year and gets non-for-profit status needs a justification of the higher tuition disclosed on a tax return or risk losing non-for-profit status

6. Program where if $25,000 tuition does not cover all operating costs for a college, the college can apply for a tax credit to cover remaining expenses on a justified need basis

7. Any non-for-profit college is capped at $200,000 max salary for all employees 

8. State programs similar to NY to offset any additional costs.

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Are not we always? Limited Liability has been used for a real long time. Jim Kelly just blew off his debts he owed after his restaurant went belly up, like he can’t afford to pay those that supplied his restaurant back. Happens all the time in the business world. You think Trump was shy about using that? 

That’s really a funny part about this. The right are the people who are against this saying to pay back debts. Yet Trump had 6 bankruptcies and they call him a great business man.

Economic impact of Trumps bankruptcies? Nothing. Economic impact of this? Greater increase in GDP than Trumps signature Tax Cuts and Jobs Act tax cuts.

Edited by Backintheday544
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, TH3 said:

Forgive loans?..how about solving the problem?...Secondary education costs have gone up at 7 plus percent a year for the last thirty years....because the wealthy could afford it and the lesser off could borrow it. Now the entire cost structure of college is out of whack.

Hey let’s not solve problems! Just throw it on the credit card🤪

Secondary education is high school.  College and university education is post-secondary education.

The biggest reason that the cost of  post-secondary education has increased so dramatically in the last 40 years is because states that used to cover 90-100% of per student costs at public colleges and universities have shifted those costs to students and their parents via tuition and fees.  As tuition and fees at public institutions rose, it became easier for private colleges and universities to raise their tuition and fees also, even though many of the most prestigious schools with huge endowments could afford to offer free tuition for most students. 

The second biggest reason is the expansion of proprietary -- ie, for-profit -- post-secondary educational institutions from primarily trade and/or business skills schools into expensive competitors to 2 and 4 year college that lured with virtually no entrance requirements and promises of "financial aid" that was almost exclusively federal student loans rather than any scholarships or grants.   Many of these were out-and-out scams set up to take advantage of expanded federal student loan programs that defrauded tens of thousands of students, and even those that weren't scams often charged as much tuition and fees as the most prestigious private schools while providing community college quality education to unsuspecting students.

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

America is 21 trillion in debt.  LOL.  Of course we're having this discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You really have to be kidding me, right Tibs? We’re going to promote this behavior? You don’t even have to declare bankruptcy? What will be the purpose of a loan? Who will ever offer them? What about people like me who saved up and paid for my kids education?

So as a real solution...why not do the right thing...and simply have the government refinance the debt to lower payments over a longer period? Or require some sort of public service to pay off the debt? If you don’t have a good paying job, then work construction on an infrastructure project like back in the the WPA era. At least we’d get a new bridge out of it. And the young people would learn a skill.

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

But , Biden is doing it. Corruption all the way. 
trump would be a thumbs down because it was Biden’s idea 😎😎😎

You are a Trump cult member thinking of doing corrupt things.... Typical

What's wrong with your other forum? Too many crazies?

Edited by TBBills

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You really have to be kidding me, right Tibs? We’re going to promote this behavior? You don’t even have to declare bankruptcy? What will be the purpose of a loan? Who will ever offer them? What about people like me who saved up and paid for my kids education?

So as a real solution...why not do the right thing...and simply have the government refinance the debt to lower payments over a longer period? Or require some sort of public service to pay off the debt? If you don’t have a good paying job, then work construction on an infrastructure project like back in the the WPA era. At least we’d get a new bridge out of it. And the young people would learn a skill.

People like you will get the benefit of a stronger economy. Think of this like you would for a tax cut to the rich. The rich get a tax cut and the poorer people are like what about people like me. The Republican answer is well you will be better off because the economy will be better and there will be more jobs.

Same here. People like you will be better off because the economy will be better and there will be more jobs.

Both of your proposals are things that are already available and have not helped the situation and would have minimal changes to the economy.

Also love that you’re answer is you’re poor so go work more.

I wouldn't forgive it.    

However, the government should permit student debt to be treated like all other debt as it pertains to discharge in a bankruptcy.  Student debt is very difficult to discharge.  

The government could also cap the amount a student could borrow based on the subject the student pursues to minimize risk.  If you're going for that art degree, you're capped at a lower amount than say a STEM degree or a degree in the trades.  

Higher education, as an industry, needs to be burnt to the ground and completely rebuilt.  

On 12/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, shoshin said:

On what moral basis? 

People took out loans. I'd like my mortgage forgiven too. 

On the basis that the lender didn't actually have 90% of the money they lent, they created it by lending it, and as a result there is 90% more debt owed in our current economy than there is actual currency. 

• Haha (+1) 1

@shoshin you laugh, but that's literal the moral basis of debt forgiveness for over 2,000. In Biblical times, every 7 years partial debts were forgiven and every 70 years all debts were forgiven. Also the reason why interest was deemed immoral, because when you create money by lending it there is always going to be more money owed than currency. 

Economists are terrible historians, they tend to use a priori assumptions about how the world used to work. The anthropologists that have explored the way money has actually worked will tell you that  credit based monetary systems are old as dirt. And that in many states debt is uncollectible after 7 years, and that bankruptcy exists historically as a solution to the problem if there being more debt than actual money. 

Edited by Motorin'

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

You are a Trump cult member thinking of doing corrupt things.... Typical

What's wrong with your other forum? Too many crazies?

not at at.  so Biden has been perfect in his time in office? So you only see things one way.
You’re blind to all the Democrats misconduct. 

typical of trump haters. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mead107 said:

not at at.  so Biden has been perfect in his time in office? So you only see things one way.
You’re blind to all the Democrats misconduct. 

typical of trump haters. 

Biden hasn't been president yet, Trump is still ***** things up.

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Biden hasn't been president yet, Trump is still ***** things up.

I have never said he is perfect.  
I have voted for Democrats.  

I was hoping Bernie would be the Democrats pick. 🤠

I may have voted for yang. 

it would be great to see some young people run for president. 

Edited by mead107
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I have never said he is perfect.  
I have voted for Democrats.  

I was hoping Bernie would be the Democrats pick. 🤠

I may have voted for yang. 

it would be great to see some young people run for president. 

I agree with this, no party is without corruption.

We definitely need to get younger all around our government. We have a 78 and 80 year old leading our senate and just toying with the American people over EGO... They are so far gone from todays America they think they can sit on something for months on end while our country struggles, and they seem happy to just sit and pretend like they are actually working on something.

Edited by TBBills

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

We definitely need to get younger all around our government. We have a 78 and 80 year old leading our senate and just toying with the American people over EGO... They are so far gone from todays America they think they can sit on something for month on end while our country struggles and they seem happy to just sit and pretend like they are actually working on something.

How cool! We FINALLY agree on something. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TBBills said:

We definitely need to get younger all around our government. We have a 78 and 80 year old leading our senate and just toying with the American people over EGO... They are so far gone from todays America they think they can sit on something for months on end while our country struggles and they seem happy to just sit and pretend like they are actually working on something.

Agree 100 percent. 
I would love to see term limits for Congress and the senate. 
maybe 15 -20 years for Supreme Court. 

need young people for fresh ideas  

just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, mead107 said:

Agree 100 percent. 
I would love to see term limits for Congress and the senate. 
maybe 15 -20 years for Supreme Court. 

need young people for fresh ideas  

just my opinion. 

Sure about that?

3ca7c263-391f-46b1-948c-a6c93f6fb9d8-AP_

On 12/13/2020 at 8:49 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Part of the challenge in the country is that we are moving away from the concept of doing “the right thing”.  There was a time when the question “Have you no shame?” meant something, but that’s sort of in the rear view mirror at this point.   As many supporters of a Biden Buyout point out—there’s easy money available for bailouts—why shouldn’t they get paid? 

Now, we speak about supposedly highly educated people, often graduates of extraordinarily expensive schools, righteously indignant that they have been victimized by the choices they made.  It always makes me chuckle when I hear the spin about how smart Obama/Biden voters are, yet given the chance they line up at the educational homeless shelter quickly and orderly for the handout offered. 

The interesting part is how they pitch what amounts to a government handout funded by others as a “stimulus”.  They may not be very good at math, and might have a tendency toward making really poor and reckless financial decisions, but they are marketing wizards on the rebrand.  

You also have to give it to Biden.  He knew the thought of absolving folks of debt is a powerful aphrodisiac.  Millions likely voted for him just because of it.  

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Part of the challenge in the country is that we are moving away from the concept of doing “the right thing”.  There was a time when the question “Have you no shame?” meant something, but that’s sort of in the rear view mirror at this point.   As many supporters of a Biden Buyout point out—there’s easy money available for bailouts—why shouldn’t they get paid? 

Now, we speak about supposedly highly educated people, often graduates of extraordinarily expensive schools, righteously indignant that they have been victimized by the choices they made.  It always makes me chuckle when I hear the spin about how smart Obama/Biden voters are, yet given the chance they line up at the educational homeless shelter quickly and orderly for the handout offered. 

The interesting part is how they pitch what amounts to a government handout funded by others as a “stimulus”.  They may not be very good at math, and might have a tendency toward making really poor and reckless financial decisions, but they are marketing wizards on the rebrand.  

You also have to give it to Biden.  He knew the thought of absolving folks of debt is a powerful aphrodisiac.  Millions likely voted for him just because of it.  

I always laugh that the housing bubble was caused by ‘predatory lenders preying on the disadvantaged and less educated’....now less than ten years later we apparently have America’s best and brightest falling prey to the same predators? Buyouts for EVERYONE! 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Motorin' said:

@shoshin you laugh, but that's literal the moral basis of debt forgiveness for over 2,000. In Biblical times, every 7 years partial debts were forgiven and every 70 years all debts were forgiven. Also the reason why interest was deemed immoral, because when you create money by lending it there is always going to be more money owed than currency. 

That's a lot of wackiness. 

Choosing to accept to pay interest is a choice. It's as immoral as eating the third slice of pizza. Anyone can choose--or not--to incur interest. It's not forced on anyone. 

And if you accept the obligation of a loan with interest, that's on you the borrower. We live in a time when, thankfully, we don't jail people for unpaid loans. But the obligation for not paying is financial, reputation, pain, and some loans just follow you. 

20 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Economists are terrible historians, they tend to use a priori assumptions about how the world used to work. The anthropologists that have explored the way money has actually worked will tell you that  credit based monetary systems are old as dirt. And that in many states debt is uncollectible after 7 years, and that bankruptcy exists historically as a solution to the problem if there being more debt than actual money. 

So what? Again: People are free to contract or not. I am not paying cash for my new car and am happy that Toyota is giving me 1.9%. That's my choice and it works for me. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Choosing to accept to pay interest is a choice. It's as immoral as eating the third slice of pizza. Anyone can choose--or not--to incur interest. It's not forced on anyone. 

And if you accept the obligation of a loan with interest, that's on you the borrower. We live in a time when, thankfully, we don't jail people for unpaid loans. But the obligation for not paying is financial, reputation, pain, and some loans just follow you. 

So what? Again: People are free to contract or not. I am not paying cash for my new car and am happy that Toyota is giving me 1.9%. That's my choice and it works for me. 

Correct! Both the lender and the borrower sign the contract. Both are making a commitment. It’s a simple concept really. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yeah, there was a time when defaulting on an obligation/promise was something to be ashamed of and that others would call them out on. Now if you don't pay a debt, welch on a bet, etc, many don't care. It's up to you and me to raise the standard. 

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Correct me if I am wrong but if you work for the feds for 10 years and make 10 years of payments, you can apply to have your federal loans forgiven.

For those who are anti-forgiveness, do you want to cancel this policy?

No--but again--that's part of a deal that is offered. 

If the government wants to exchange military or other service time in exchange for $$, that's a totally different thing than just burning up the obligation and passing payment of it on to me. 

3 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Correct me if I am wrong but if you work for the feds for 10 years and make 10 years of payments, you can apply to have your federal loans forgiven.

For those who are anti-forgiveness, do you want to cancel this policy?

Why would that program be canceled? If those were the terms of the loan when offered then those were the terms. Every loan has terms. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yeah, there was a time when defaulting on an obligation/promise was something to be ashamed of and that others would call them out on. Now if you don't pay a debt, welch on a bet, etc, many don't care. It's up to you and me to raise the standard. 

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

This is only true if the roulette wheel is not rigged. But the way that money is created in our current system is the definition of rigged. There is always 10 times more debt than money to pay the debt, and the way the system is set up, new money is created to pay off the existing debt by lending more money at interest. 

The US Public Debt is currently 27 trillion. Private citizen and us business debt is nearly 50 trillion. How many US dollars are there to pay off that debt? It's less than 20 Trillion. And in order to create the 60 or 70 Trillion needed, the debt will swell to 100's of trillions. 

It is unsustainable, and it is the reason why there needs to be a debt reset.  

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I’m powerless brother, relatively speaking.  I’m sensible enough to recognize and support the need for a well-defined and compassionate safety net, proud enough to believe that my investment in my children was important to their development, and apparently foolish enough to not play the hand the right way given the buyout soon to happen.  

For all the talk about a pro-Biden vote was really an ‘anti-Trump’ rallying crying, we know with certainty that millions of Biden voters stand to benefit from the Sopranos-esque protection racket about to play out.  And, likely, the Harris plan to follow when Biden taps out in 12-24 months.  In fact, it’s highly probable that was the most important factor in a Biden presidency.  Everyone has a price. 

The best I can do is when called by one of the SUNY schools for a parental handout in support of the next crop of students to tell them to call the White House after Jan 20. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd