How about Aaron Jones at RB next year?

Buffalo03

I had to stop reading after under utilized. 
What?? 
Green Bay has always featured him and he’s shown well, except he always catches minor injuries or misses time. It’s understandable for almost all running backs but he gets plenty of touches there when healthy. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

That’s a lot of $ and talent. Can’t imagine anyone wanting to cut Brown. The team is significantly better when he plays. I know I know he’s been banged up but he will be back for stretch run and playoffs. 

I think they can jettison Butler, Jefferson and Matakevich without much drop-off in talent, and why I grouped them initially.  Brown is getting up there and has a history of injuries, and his cap number doesn't help him.  Maybe an extension candidate.  Smith could go, I don't care.  Addison is a toss-up for me.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I had to stop reading after under utilized. 
What?? 
Green Bay has always featured him and he’s shown well, except he always catches minor injuries or misses time. It’s understandable for almost all running backs but he gets plenty of touches there when healthy. 

He is underutilized. He averages 10 to 12 carries a game and barely gets thrown to anymore like he did last year. If you watch a Green Bay game they will have Jamaal Williams on the field for an entire 95 yard drive at times. If the Packers stopped having such a hard on for Jamaal Williams, Jones would get 25 carries a game like he should be

He’s a really good player that I think will be too rich for the Bills. I don’t know if GB resigns him with Jamal Williams and AJ Dillon there so I could see him on a new team just not sure that’s the Bills unless you can get him for like 5-6 a year

16 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't think it will cost $15 million a year to get Jones. That's Ezekiel Elliot money. He's not Ezekiel Elliot but he's very good. I honestly don't think any team will pay him that. I'm thinking more in possibly the $8 to $9 million dollar range on a 4 year deal for him. This offense is a RB away from being exactly where it needs to be

Leads the league in TDs the past few years, can run post routes like a WR and plays in the slot, etc. I didn’t base his contract value on Elliot as Zeke can’t play WR. The closest comps are Kamara and McCaffery, who earn $15MM and $16MM respectively. He’s not a one trick pony. Jones is a multidimensional weapon, and the only way he doesn’t get paid for that is Covid cap suppression. RBs that average 5 y/c, lead the league in TDs, and can line up outside and beat probowl corners with double moves are unicorns. JMO. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think they can jettison Butler, Jefferson and Matakevich without much drop-off in talent, and why I grouped them initially.  Brown is getting up there and has a history of injuries, and his cap number doesn't help him.  Maybe an extension candidate.

Star will be back.. Plug him in next to Oliver and our starters at interior DL will be stablished. Zimmer and Phillips fight for a spot behind Oliver and Buffalo hopefully adds another 1 tech behind Star.. So yes, Butler, Jefferson and Matakevich should be easily replaced..

I’d also like to see us move on from Addison and Murphy as well. I believe Epenesa will be a quality Edge.. I don’t know what the draft board looks like, but it would be amazing if we could add a quality DE with that 1st pick.. It’d be great to see us increase Epenesa’s snaps going into the playoffs.. I was concerned about Hughes over the first half of the season but he’s really picked it up.. Might as well n try n get one more good year out of him and then let him walk.. Best case scenario is there’s a blue chip DE prospect when we pick at 32.. Would have a pretty solid rotation going on with him, Epenesa, Hughes and Johnson.

14 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He’s a really good player that I think will be too rich for the Bills. I don’t know if GB resigns him with Jamal Williams and AJ Dillon there so I could see him on a new team just not sure that’s the Bills unless you can get him for like 5-6 a year

Williams is a UFA after this season as well. GB will pick one to resign. I’d bet on Jones unless they can’t afford him. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Leads the league in TDs the past few years, can run post routes like a WR and plays in the slot, etc. I didn’t base his contract value on Elliot as Zeke can’t play WR. The closest comps are Kamara and McCaffery, who earn $15MM and $16MM respectively. He’s not a one trick pony. Jones is a multidimensional weapon, and the only way he doesn’t get paid for that is Covid cap suppression. RBs that average 5 y/c, lead the league in TDs, and can line up outside and beat probowl corners with double moves are unicorns. JMO. 

I agree with everything you said as far as him being a multi dimensional weapon but how many RBs are making that kind of money in the league right now? I think Elliott's deal was $96 million for 6 years which averages out to $16 million a season and Elliott is pretty decent out of the backfield. Kamara's contract extension was 5 years at $75 million but I honestly can't see any team paying Jones more than $40 to $50 million on a 4 to 5 year deal. 

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Star will be back.. Plug him in next to Oliver and our starters at interior DL will be stablished. Zimmer and Phillips fight for a spot behind Oliver and Buffalo hopefully adds another 1 tech behind Star.. So yes, Butler, Jefferson and Matakevich should be easily replaced..

I’d also like to see us move on from Addison and Murphy as well. I believe Epenesa will be a quality Edge.. I don’t know what the draft board looks like, but it would be amazing if we could add a quality DE with that 1st pick.. It’d be great to see us increase Epenesa’s snaps going into the playoffs.. I was concerned about Hughes over the first half of the season but he’s really picked it up.. Might as well n try n get one more good year out of him and then let him walk.. Best case scenario is there’s a blue chip DE prospect when we pick at 32.. Would have a pretty solid rotation going on with him, Epenesa, Hughes and Johnson.

I agree completely with the first paragraph.  They might want/need to think about drafting a 1-tech high to backup and eventually replace Star.

Murphy is an UFA at the end of the year.  Too bad because I was hoping he still had a year left and they could find cap savings there.  As for Addison, yeah, I think they will move-on.  He hasn't had the impact we wanted.

• Like (+1) 1

So to summarize:

*  Above average RB

*  Would be  marginal upgrade

*  Would cost an expensive contract

*  Bills have cap issues next year

How many more wins would the Bills have if they sign him and cut other positions?  It is small at best, potentially negative with the cuts required.

Invest in OL, keeping Brown and retaining Milano.  Don't sign an expensive RB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I agree with everything you said as far as him being a multi dimensional weapon but how many RBs are making that kind of money in the league right now? I think Elliott's deal was $96 million for 6 years which averages out to $16 million a season and Elliott is pretty decent out of the backfield. Kamara's contract extension was 5 years at $75 million but I honestly can't see any team paying Jones more than $40 to $50 million on a 4 to 5 year deal. 

My point is that his value is higher than Elliott because he can play every receiving position. McCaffery, Kamara, and maybe L Bell are the only other RBs that can reliably play WR. Jones is likely the best of the bunch when lined up outside in the x or z. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

My point is that his value is higher than Elliott because he can play every receiving position. McCaffery, Kamara, and maybe L Bell are the only other RBs that can reliably play WR. Jones is likely the best of the bunch when lined up outside in the x or z. 

Yeah, his ability to play out wide in 4 or 5 WR sets is something that most other RBs can't do. Which is all the more reason why I would love to have him here

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't think it will cost $15 million a year to get Jones. That's Ezekiel Elliot money. He's not Ezekiel Elliot but he's very good. I honestly don't think any team will pay him that. I'm thinking more in possibly the $8 to $9 million dollar range on a 4 year deal for him. This offense is a RB away from being exactly where it needs to be

The offense is better run blocking away from being exactly where it needs to be.

The best RB in the league won't do squat behind bad run blocking.  Singletary and Moss can carry us just fine if there was the occasional hole for them to hit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Nope. You don’t pay RBs. Singletary and Moss will be just fine, build that OL. And when Singletary and Moss’ contracts are up, draft another RB in the 3rd round. Rinse and repeat.

Above is perfect!

When you finally have a QB (finally a check for us!), and If your Oline is top 5 you can afford a luxury RB, if you salary cap has enough wiggle. I'd prefer a top 5 or 10 pass catching TE at this phase. Moss/Motor are very serviceable in our pass happy offense.

Edited by Real McNasty

24 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, his ability to play out wide in 4 or 5 WR sets is something that most other RBs can't do. Which is all the more reason why I would love to have him here

I’d love him mixed in here, especially with Daboll finding new ways to use him. That said, I doubt GB let’s him go. I’m of the opinion that Dillon was picked to replace Williams (also 2021 UFA), and they plan on pairing him with Jones. Of course the reduced cap could interrupt that. Particularly since GB seems to have gone back to prioritizing their Oline since replacing Thompson.

I hope Beane continues to upgrade our Oline as well. Every skill position looks better with a top Oline. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

He is underutilized. He averages 10 to 12 carries a game and barely gets thrown to anymore like he did last year. If you watch a Green Bay game they will have Jamaal Williams on the field for an entire 95 yard drive at times. If the Packers stopped having such a hard on for Jamaal Williams, Jones would get 25 carries a game like he should be

Jamaal Williams isn’t exactly a scrub and one could argue is playing at the same level as Jones. And given Jones injury history it’s probably smart to lighten his load during the season so he’s fresh for the playoffs right? 

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Jamaal Williams isn’t exactly a scrub and one could argue is playing at the same level as Jones. And given Jones injury history it’s probably smart to lighten his load during the season so he’s fresh for the playoffs right? 

Jones is clearly the better player when he plays. Williams shouldn't be playing at the same level because he shouldn't be getting as many opportunities as he is. Jones should be getting 25 carries a game in that backfield