How about Aaron Jones at RB next year?

Buffalo03

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Sound like a disgruntled fantasy owner.

Jones gets plenty of touches, GB uses other backs to try and limit the amount of hits Jones takes. He is oft injured. 

He has only surpassed 20 touches once this season. Guys like Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook and McCaffery get over 20 touches every week

24 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Cutting players creates immediate holes on the roster.  If Beane believes the salary cap will return to pre-virus levels for the 2022 season, I think he will be very busy renegotiating contracts to create cap space in order to keep D. Williams, Feliciano, and Milano.  Diggs contract, to me, is a logical start point.  Maybe add a year onto to his existing contract as well.

There will be quite a few teams needing to shed contracts.  The Bills can likely find players to replace those 3 guys I mentioned for a lot less than $18M.

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol, no.  It's still false.

Elliot had 25 or more touches 3 times this year.

Henry has had 6.

Cook has had 5.

I'm bored...

Maybe on a weekly basis was the wrong thing to say but they get 25 touches a game a lot more than Jones does. As we have shown. Just in carries alone per game all those other guys get 20 carries alone consistently. Maybe a game here or there they won't but it's far more than Jones does which therefore means Jones is underutilized in the GB offense

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

One more season as in his 5th year if he doesn't get an extension he gets a salary of average of top 10 QBs.

He’s going to get an extension this off-season, and that will keep his cap hit low through the 2022-23 season.

I'd also vote no on this.  However I'll throw out another thought.

The Bills have needs next year at CB, LB, Edge, O-line and TE.  Depending whom they are able to re-sign and FA may fill some of these spots.  But very likely not all, so could easily draft to fill one of these spots late on the first.  However if Travis Etienne was available, would you throw all that out and grab him instead?  Having a guy like that plus the WR group would may a really high dynamic offense.

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't think it will cost $15 million a year to get Jones. That's Ezekiel Elliot money. He's not Ezekiel Elliot but he's very good. I honestly don't think any team will pay him that. I'm thinking more in possibly the $8 to $9 million dollar range on a 4 year deal for him. This offense is a RB away from being exactly where it needs to be

10 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

I'd say a prominent TE would do the trick :flirt:

Throw in DB and LB depth - and as long as Winters is starting in the NFL, whoever that team is does not have an OL. OG/C investment would be nice, OT too if we don't lock up Daryl Williams for a couple more years.

Our blocking schemes have been inconsistent this year and would love to see both Singletary/Moss run behind a Winters & Boettger-less OL. Def would love to see Josh throw behind one, too.

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd also vote no on this.  However I'll throw out another thought.

The Bills have needs next year at CB, LB, Edge, O-line and TE.  Depending whom they are able to re-sign and FA may fill some of these spots.  But very likely not all, so could easily draft to fill one of these spots late on the first.  However if Travis Etienne was available, would you throw all that out and grab him instead?  Having a guy like that plus the WR group would may a really high dynamic offense.

I disagree on CB and OL, assuming they re-sign Williams.  The others, yes, and those will likely have to come from the draft early.  I can't see a RB being picked high.

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

I disagree on CB and OL, assuming they re-sign Williams.  The others, yes, and those will likely have to come from the draft early.  I can't see a RB being picked high.

Exactly, I could see taking a yet on a guy in round 6 that has speed to add to the mix but not a need.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doc said:

Maybe.  They can clear $18.75M by cutting Butler, Jefferson and Matakevich.  If they cut Morse, it's another $4.875M.  Brown is $8.175M.  Addison is $6.225M.  Lee Smith is $2.25M.

Yeah, cutting guys would clear some money.

But doing that would also open massive holes across the starting lineup which would then have to be filled with free agents which would cost pretty much the same amount and would then require a lot of time to learn to work together.

And that's all before they sign their draftees and do their best to re-sign some combination of Feliciano, Milano and Daryl Williams.

We're not going to see big spending in FA, it's a very very safe bet. They will likely let go two or three, maybe even four of those guys you list up above, but then they would have to replace them, which will cost money.

You said elsewhere here that you think they can cut Butler, Jefferson and Matakevich without losing much. I don't see how. Next year our DLs under contract are Addison, Hughes, Epenesa, Daryl Johnson, Butler, Lotulelei, Jefferson, Ed Oliver and Phillips.

Cut Butler and Jefferson and they don't have the eight platoon guys that this system demands. They'd have:

DEs: Addison, Hughes, Epenesa and Daryl Johnson, and

DTs: Lotulelei, Oliver and Phillips

That's a group that would need some FAs to plug the gaps. You could replace them in FA for cheaper, but not all that much cheaper, not if you 're looking for quality players.

You could get a cheaper STs guy than Matakevich, but if you want him to be good, it wouldn't be all that much cheaper.

Edited by Thurman#1

20 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

My point is that his value is higher than Elliott because he can play every receiving position. McCaffery, Kamara, and maybe L Bell are the only other RBs that can reliably play WR. Jones is likely the best of the bunch when lined up outside in the x or z. 

I  always   thought   Buffalos   big  miss  was  not taking a flyer on  kareem  hunt. I know  he had  character issues  but  seems  to  have  towed  the line  since  being in cleveland.  hes  signed    now    for about  6.75

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't think it will cost $15 million a year to get Jones. That's Ezekiel Elliot money. He's not Ezekiel Elliot but he's very good. I honestly don't think any team will pay him that. I'm thinking more in possibly the $8 to $9 million dollar range on a 4 year deal for him. This offense is a RB away from being exactly where it needs to be

You think as an unrestricted FA and the top one in 2021, you think he’s okay being the 9th highest paid RB?  He’s Kenyan Drake level pay?

11 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Maybe on a weekly basis was the wrong thing to say but they get 25 touches a game a lot more than Jones does. As we have shown. Just in carries alone per game all those other guys get 20 carries alone consistently. Maybe a game here or there they won't but it's far more than Jones does which therefore means Jones is underutilized in the GB offense

No they don’t.  There’s only 3 RB thar average 20 carries per game.  Cook, Jacobs and Henry.

19 hours ago, Doc said:

Maybe.  They can clear $18.75M by cutting Butler, Jefferson and Matakevich.  If they cut Morse, it's another $4.875M.  Brown is $8.175M.  Addison is $6.225M.  Lee Smith is $2.25M.

Doc, who is then going to replace most of the defensive line.  Another RB is not the answer, but better push from the O Line is what will improve our running game.  Last week we ran between our two guys 141 yards.  We have a lot more pressing needs (this is to the group, not you specifically Doc), and a lot of people keep forgetting the cap going. Down from what would have been $210 mil. based on a normal cap increase, down to $175 mil.  Now given our current contracts were originally based on an increase, there will be a lot of purging, restructuring, etc.  to maintain a whole team.

We can’t afford luxury acquisitions of expensive players, vs. making the best of what valuable players we have in the team, amd purging that just aren’t cutting it.

12 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

This has been a real struggle, eh?

you have all the stats at your fingertips and have used a lot of them but then you go and get hyperbolic with stuff leaving it easy to dismiss. 

18-20 carries a game is bell cow back status at 288-320 carries. Last year only 3 guys hit that 18 mark (4if you count mccaffrey a carry shy), any 303 led the league (just shy of 19)

Jones was 14.75 per game.

Could he get an extra carry each game and the shift 3-4 carries once a month on top of that? Sure, but is that a substantial enough swing to be meaningful? Meh. 

with focusing on TDs so much it does feel more like a fantasy football argument than a packer win/lose argument.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No they don’t.  There’s only 3 RB thar average 20 carries per game.  Cook, Jacobs and Henry.

That's exactly who I was referring to. Jines hasn't had a single game with 25 or more touches and not a single game with 20 or more carries this season. The other guy I was talking to was trying to say that not a single RB gets between 25-30 touches in a game this season. Henry, Cook, Jacobs and McCaffery when healthy have all had multiple games with more than 25 touches. Even Ezekiel Elliott has had 3 of them this season. So it does happen but not on a weekly basis as I originally thought but still proves my point. Jones has only had more than 20 touches in a game once. Those guys just in carries alone get 20 a game before catches are even factored in. Jones has had multiple games with 18 total touches or less. He is severely underutilized