How about Aaron Jones at RB next year?

Buffalo03

On 12/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Nope. #1 priority is to pay Williams to stay at RT. They have two young RBs on the cheap now. Keep it that way. 

I 100% agree.  There has been a turnstile at RT for way too long, I think he's definitely worth it.  I would choose him over Milano if we can't afford both

17 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I'm good with Singletary and Moss. I think both of them still have a high ceiling they haven't reached and I like how their styles compliment one another. 

I like them both too...but I still think they need somebody who can get around the outside a with a little more frequency

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/5/2020 at 10:39 AM, Thurman#1 said:

There are a few times you pay running backs.

None of those times is when you have about $3 mill under the cap this year and about $6 mlll next year ... before you even sign your draftees.

None.

We're not going to be getting anyone even mildly expensive next year.

The rumors have already started that the cap will be at 200 million, not 175. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go higher or have some other mitigation factors. 

Even so...you don't pay a RB unless they're the dominating kind that *are* the offense. I'd still have to consider how much of it is them or how to improve other areas of the offense before I'd pay them.

Edited by jeremy2020

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Star coming back will upgrade the talent.  And I'd prefer taking the $15M saved from cutting Jefferson and Butler and putting it into one better DT or DE.  But again, no FA RBs.

But hey, not my call.

I see your point, not my call either, we get to ride the wave, and enjoy the fun👍

• Like (+1) 1

My observation is that our run game problems start with the O-Line.  

Until our RBs can (at least) get to the line of scrimmage without needing to dodge a defender, I don't want to hear about using money/draft picks upgrading that position.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yep, and they way over paid for him. 

Otay. Did they overpay because he underperformed due to lack of talent, because the Jests Oline was historically bad, or because the Jests play caller is a functionally ######ed meth addict obsessed with floating tacos?

Edited by Buffalo Junction

the bills passing attack is so good (elite) many don't see how below average the run game is.

having said that, paying big bux to a FA RB is not the answer.

look for major upheaval/upgrades to the OL next year as the most likely path to a better run game. 

bills have so many other needs   .....EDGE #!, OL, TE#1, CB#2

will likely add one new RB via FA (mid level) or draft (mid round). i dont see them using a high draft pick or cap dollars on a FA RB in 2021

9 minutes ago, papazoid said:

the bills passing attack is so good (elite) many don't see how below average the run game is.

having said that, paying big bux to a FA RB is not the answer.

look for major upheaval/upgrades to the OL next year as the most likely path to a better run game. 

bills have so many other needs   .....EDGE #!, OL, TE#1, CB#2

will likely add one new RB via FA (mid level) or draft (mid round). i dont see them using a high draft pick or cap dollars on a FA RB in 2021

The thing is their oline for the most part has played well this year...... the majority of their linemen are better pass blockers than run blockers - definitely true of their two tackles and their center. That is by design. They want to be a passing offense. Boettger and Feliciano are decent run blockers, but this oline is built to protect Josh Allen not to blow people off the ball for Devin Singletary. Personally I think the answer is a back who hits the hole quicker than Singtary and Moss who both lack that elite acceleration and burst. However, no more premium resources on a RB please. I would probably look for a real speed guy late on day 3. Wouldn't hate them taking a punt on Adrian Killins who is currently a free agent having bounced on and off the PS and active roster in Philly. He was a priority UDFA guy for me last year. Played at UCF and he is like lightening. He is a player I'd love to see the Bills bring onto the PS and try to develop. I think behind a pass blocking line the best fit is a running back with elite speed who can hit the holes that are there and get skinny fast. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Otay. Did they overpay because he underperformed due to lack of talent, because the Jests Oline was historically bad, or because the Jests play caller is a functionally ######ed meth addict obsessed with floating tacos?

Gase is epically bad however in todays NFL you dont shell out big money for a RB with lots of miles. If you watch him play in KC you can see he lost a step and is not the sale back he was 3 years ago- not even close.

4 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Gase is epically bad however in todays NFL you dont shell out big money for a RB with lots of miles. If you watch him play in KC you can see he lost a step and is not the sale back he was 3 years ago- not even close.

Except Jones doesn’t have a lot of miles. He has half the number carries that Bell had when he signed that Jets contract, and he’s not coming off a gap year. Of course Jones touch total is also about 1/3 the total workload of McCoy when we traded for, and extended him. It’s not an exact science. The one truth is that there’s almost always a few teams that will pay big money for game breaking offensive talent regardless of risk. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Except Jones doesn’t have a lot of miles. He has half the number carries that Bell had when he signed that Jets contract, and he’s not coming off a gap year. Of course Jones touch total is also about 1/3 the total workload of McCoy when we traded for, and extended him. It’s not an exact science. The one truth is that there’s almost always a few teams that will pay big money for game breaking offensive talent regardless of risk. 

I hear ya, just disagree that RB is where we will put big money. Allen is in play soon for his contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

I hear ya, just disagree that RB is where we will put big money. Allen is in play soon for his contract. 

Go look at my first posts in this thread. I don’t think Beane will pay what Jones wants either. I’ve just been disagreeing with folks about the amount of money that Jones will likely get on the open market. Particularly the idea of getting Jones for $8MM-$9MM a year. GB usually extends guys they want and can keep before October of their final contract year. Now, he might very well sign with them or another contending team for that amount if the market is bad due to Covid and reduced salary caps..... but..... there’s always a sucker with money to burn on playmakers.