Chris Simms Unbuttoned review of Bills-Chargers

Some interesting stuff:

Bills led with the run and defense and Josh Allen was #3.  Said that should be encouraging because heading into December in B'lo, not going to be able to throw 40 times and put on a "laser light show" with Josh Allen's right arm.

The Chargers and the Bills almost took opposite approaches on defense:

-The Bills were aggressive, brought pressure, said we're going to confuse your young QB and force quick throws

-The Chargers were soft, played to give up no big plays, play sound and get pressure with front 4

-2:28 in he said one of his notes was that the Chargers were playing the Bills like they would play Mahomes and KC.  Said that the Chargers came out and lined up like the Seattle Cover 3 Scheme, Josh Allen probably looked out and said "ooh, I like this!" then "set hut! nope, we got 2 safeties back, Cover 4".  Said it was a good lesson for Allen and the Bills to handle this, and they did

-Josh Allen and the Bills showed that they could have patience in the short passing game. 

-It was positive to see Josh Allen show that he could play with high efficiency (18 of 24) and show that he could manage a game a little bit and (almost direct quote) "not just be crazy and play like his ass is on fire and do stupid *****" (ah, Chris....about that....)

-Said the team needs to protect Josh Allen from himself -"they have to be careful for him a little bit", because he's "a good soldier" and "a great team player" and "too much of a football player", and if you give him the ball when it's 3rd and short, he's going to lower his shoulder and try to get it

-"We saw the play where he rolls his ankle...just go down, Big Guy...GO DOWN! You're too damned good and important to the team now!"

Said to his cohost: "Have you met him?  You'd feel better about it if you met him..he's a Big Sucka.  But you're still the QB, it's still the NFL, don't live on that tree branch"

-The other side, was it the Chargers Offense or the Bills Defense that was the story?  Simms says it's the Bills Defense.  Says about 4 weeks ago, things changed.  The first 6 weeks, "teams cracked the code" every week, they were playing simple.  They're healthier now, they're playing better, but McDermott has gotten back to a lot of the things they did the last 2 years - "the master" at rushing 4 or 5 against 5 blockers yet someone's always free, and I don't know what it is, it's a zone coverage, but somehow they're always dropping where his receivers are.

Interesting listen.

Also interesting contrast to the pre-game predictions against the 49ers where he picks the Niners, saying we can't handle their run game and our run game isn't good enough.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Simms does his homework and I love how he loves Josh. That said, it bothers me that his show is called “Chris Simms Unbuttoned”, but the logo for the show is of a buttoned shirt. Which is it? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting listen.

Also interesting contrast to the pre-game predictions against the 49ers where he picks the Niners, saying we can't handle their run game and our run game isn't good enough.

He does say "in an upset" though.

I do like Simms' analysis and hearing his take now has me worried about the game. I think the Bills have enough firepower to pull out a win in a close game so we will see. I of course want the Bills to win this one, especially as it is on MNF. 

if the Bills do win, I think Simms will pick them over every other opponent for the rest of the season except the Steelers. 

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He does say "in an upset" though.

I do like Simms' analysis and hearing his take now has me worried about the game. I think the Bills have enough firepower to pull out a win in a close game so we will see. I of course want the Bills to win this one, especially as it is on MNF. 

if the Bills do win, I think Simms will pick them over every other opponent for the rest of the season except the Steelers. 

I don't think Simms has a very good track record picking the Bills this year, so I hope he doesn't change his pickin'. 

Against NE, Simms stated we'd lose because "NE can run and stop the run.  The Bills can't do either".  The Bills said "well hey y'all - Watch This!"

I think Simms is still underestimating our defense.  Which is fine by me.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks for the recap Hap.  I too like Simms as he breaks things down pretty well, and I don’t always agree.  At least he gives substantive reasons for his opinions.  It’s annoying some hosts uses regurgitated ideas without putting any facts behind their opinions.

Yeah, that's what I like about him.  He clearly watches the games and takes notes on what he sees, rather than riffing off some canned take.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Simms has a very good track record picking the Bills this year, so I hope he doesn't change his pickin'. 

Against NE, Simms stated we'd lose because "NE can run and stop the run.  The Bills can't do either".  The Bills said "well hey y'all - Watch This!"

I think Simms is still underestimating our defense.  Which is fine by me.

Yeah, that's what I like about him.  He clearly watches the games and takes notes on what he sees, rather than riffing off some canned take.

Our defense kinda sucks. Not sure how that can be underestimated.

Niners possessions against Rams.

1st possession, 1 play (Fumble)

2nd possession, 3 and out

3rd possession, 5 and out

4th possession, 5 and out

5th possession, 5 and missed FG

6th possession, 3 and out

7th possession, 10 plays for a 48 yd. FG

8th possession, 1 play (Fumble)

9th possession, 3 and out

10th possession, 5 and out

11th possession, 10 plays for a 51 yd. FG

I can see why they'd pick the Niners.  🤣 Shanahan was sure showing off his offensive genius.

I don't expect it to be easy but the Bills should beat a 5-6 team with their back up QB. Their D is starting to come together and players are getting and coming back healthy.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Goff and company didn't give them 4 turnovers the niners would have lost their 4th straight last Sunday, and as it turns out they still almost lost.

Shanahan will throw a few wrinkles at you, but all the Deebo stuff and presnap crap isn't fooling this defense.  Tremaine may not be a thumper or great vs inside runs, but they do a lot of stuff in the flat and he's a great coast to coast guy, and finally seems healthy.

If they had Kittle and Bosa this is an even matchup, but they don't and its a neutral field with equal defenses and we have a better qb/receiver group.   

They certainly dont have a better offense than the Chargers, who we just held to 17.    

Bills score 27 again this week, Niners 16

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Did you stop watching a few games ago? They're rounding into form. 

I did not.

They are 26th in plays allowed per drive. 24th in yards allowed per drive. 25th in points allowed per drive.

They have allowed 30+ points in 2 of their last 3 games. Allowed 400+ yards in 2 of their last 3 games.

For reference, they allowed 2 400+ yard games through all of last year.

They kinda suck.

Edited by FireChans

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I did not.

They are 26th in plays allowed per drive. 24th in yards allowed per drive. 25th in points allowed per drive.

They have allowed 30+ points in 2 of their last 3 games. Allowed 400+ yards in 2 of their last 3 games.

They kinda suck.

I could be losing track

But aren't you one of the guys who has posted that our defense was over-rated last year so it doesn't mean too much that we only allowed 2 400+ yd games, because we didn't play any good teams?

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I did not.

They kinda suck.

It's a "bend, don't break/do great in the first half, but let every team come back in the 3rd quarter so we either need to come back or hang on by the skin of our teeth," defense.

We're 8-3.  What's the problem?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be losing track

But aren't you one of the guys who has posted that our defense was over-rated last year so it doesn't mean too much that we only allowed 2 400+ yd games, because we didn't play any good teams?

You’re losing track.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's a "bend, don't break/do great in the first half, but let every team come back in the 3rd quarter so we either need to come back or hang on by the skin of our teeth," defense.

We're 8-3.  What's the problem?

We are 8-3. Our defense is not good.

A defense with as poor per drive numbers as ours is doing it’s fair share of bending and breaking.

No problems, just facts.

Edited by FireChans