Bad coaching bringing this team down

Cal

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The game day thread was hilarious when we went down 3 you should take a read through that if you want to see crazy haha idk maybe its just me but I am in the mindset that I expect Josh to go down the field for the go ahead score now and that is a silver lining here

I think I’ll stay away from the game day thread for that reason alone. Hahaha!!!

Yeah, it’s cool to finally have a quarterback again that can keep you in the game or win you the game more times than not. Tied for 2nd in game winning drives. Pretty cool stuff!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

that's just not the same as 4 guys going 2 to 3 feet in the air and coming down on top of each other. it's not a coordination or athleticism thing. 

Outside of Allen being possibly hurt on the play, there is absolutely nothing to lose by allowing your athletic star QB a chance to save the team he lead for a game winning drive. You pull out a D lineman and leave Allen in the end zone. It gives him a chance to play hero ball. If you ever played QB you would understand. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Outside of Allen being possibly hurt on the play, there is absolutely nothing to lose by allowing your athletic star QB a chance to save the team he lead for a game winning drive. You pull out a D lineman and leave Allen in the end zone. It gives him a chance to play hero ball. If you ever played QB you would understand. 

Dude, I can’t even.  This isn’t High School where the QB was usually by far the best athlete on the team and maybe played all 3 phases.

The hard thing about a play like that is tracking the ball.  DBs spend a lot of the their lives tracking the ball.  The QB, not so much.

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Haha that reminds me of The Waterboy 'last game of the season cant hold anything back now' quote...I think our only chance the way that play worked out was sending more guys on the blitz though...I still can't get over how perfect that pass was.  Granted we wouldn't have known that was going to happen when the play was called 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, I can’t even.  This isn’t High School where the QB was usually by far the best athlete on the team and maybe played all 3 phases.

The hard thing about a play like that is tracking the ball.  DBs spend a lot of the their lives tracking the ball.  The QB, not so much.

You wouldn’t understand. There is nothing to lose by pulling a D lineman and putting the QB in the end zone to win the game defensively. Almost every QB alive wants that opportunity during hailmarys. 

It is great that allen does what he does at the end of games. that said, our offense looked as hopeless as I've seen it look in all 3 of allen's years during most of  the 2nd half today. combine that with AZs running game looking almost unstoppable for a quarter and a half, it was tough to watch. 

this was easily the toughest game for me to watch all season. 

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Regarding Morse, my guess is they decided to be extra cautious given his concussion history which makes sense with the bye and two extra weeks for him to rest before the next game.

Winters is definitely terrible in every aspect of the game.

Yea it seems like we know we didn't need that win and theres more important games to come which takes some of the sting out of it for me...the offensive line which at times looks like the strength of this team was getting absolutely embarrassed in the second half

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

You're losing a rusher though to put a quarterback in coverage.

But you just don't understand.

The QB wants to do it so bad that he'll automatically be better at it than an NFL caliber DB. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Coaching was fine.  Your $10m per year defensive end can’t dive on the ground and let Murray get off a hail Mary throwing across his body and your $17m per year CB has to knock the ball down and not let a 6’1” WR with a 36 inch vertical dunk on him.  

I feel like poyer couldve not played the ball and just blasted Hopkins when he caught it too...looks like he was trying to do that but only ended up taking out tre lol

You're losing a rusher though to put a quarterback in coverage.

It honestly doesn’t matter at that point. The QB is going to chuck it into the end zone whether in 10 seconds or 5 seconds. If you aren’t going to bring the house, then allow the QB who is athletic as can be a chance to win for you on defense.  

Just now, Simon said:

But you just don't understand.

The QB wants to do it so bad that he'll automatically be better at it than an NFL caliber DB. 🙄

It’s a jump ball situation. It’s basically basketball. All you need is height and jumping skills which Allen has. 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Haha I mean some of the stuff I've seen Josh allen do that seems impossible makes that almost a valid argument 🤣 its not the craziest post I've seen today lol

Crazy wins you games when all others are afraid. Just like nobody ever attempts line rugby jumps during hailmarys which is mind boggling. 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It honestly doesn’t matter at that point. The QB is going to chuck it into the end zone whether in 10 seconds or 5 seconds. If you aren’t going to bring the house, then allow the QB who is athletic as can be a chance to win for you on defense.  

It’s a jump ball situation. It’s basically basketball. All you need is height and jumping skills which Allen has. 

The qb couldve been taken out before the receivers even got near the end zone though...with the gift of hindsight on our side here I think more pressure was the way to go.  Thats what was so crazy about that throw...they flushed Murray out and he threw an absolute dime in the perfect spot where only Hopkins had a realistic shot at it.  Murray and Hopkins could go out there after the game and try to recreate that play 100 times and they'd never do it again lol

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The qb couldve been taken out before the receivers even got near the end zone though...with the gift of hindsight on our side here I think more pressure was the way to go.  Thats what was so crazy about that throw...the flushed Murray out and he threw an absolute dime in the perfect spot where only Hopkins had a realistic shot at it.  Murray and Hopkins could go out there after the game and try to recreate that play 100 times and they'd never do it again lol

I mean I do agree with you more pressure would work in most hailmary type plays. But as a QB, we want nothing more than a chance to win in these kind of situations. A lot of QBs probably couldn’t do it, but I trust a hungry Allen more than I trust a 4 man rush. I think athletic QBs deserve the right to win for their teams on hailmary situations. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Crazy wins you games when all others are afraid. Just like nobody ever attempts line rugby jumps during hailmarys which is mind boggling. 

I dont know enough about rugby to refute this one but using three of your receivers to lift up one dude in a position in the end zone where he doesn't really have a way to adjust his positioning to catch a 60 yard pass while your qb is running for his life is the best use of resources haha im sure one of these nfl coaches would be crazy enough to try it if it would work 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I mean I do agree with you more pressure would work in most hailmary type plays. But as a QB, we want nothing more than a chance to win in these kind of situations. A lot of QBs probably couldn’t do it, but I trust a hungry Allen more than I trust a 4 man rush. 

I have absolutely no doubt allen wouldve loved to be out there on that play...that is for sure 😁 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I dont know enough about rugby to refute this one but using three of your receivers to lift up one dude in a position in the end zone where he doesn't really have a way to adjust his positioning to catch a 60 yard pass while your qb is running for his life is the best use of resources haha im sure one of these nfl coaches would be crazy enough to try it if it would work 

You don’t need 3 people, NFL players are strong enough for 1 man lifts. Especially if you have Beasley out there. 

You don’t need 3 people, NFL players are strong enough for 1 man lifts. Especially if you have Beasley out there. 

Is there any kind of protection for the lifter when the receivers hands touch the ball if this was done in the nfl...I can't imagine them allowing this for player safety reasons but you never know...we all learned you can horsecollar qbs in the pocket this year 🤣

Hindsight is always 20/20, but when you call a defensive timeout and allow Murray to break contain, throw off a scramble drill and lose on a Hail Mary jump ball, you’re going to have people blame the HC.

We’re just not used to that scrutiny because A) that play rarely ever happens and B) nobody has cared about us for a while. 

If that happened to Belichick, he’d be facing scrutiny as well. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Is there any kind of protection for the lifter when the receivers hands touch the ball if this was done in the nfl...I can't imagine them allowing this for player safety reasons but you never know...we all learned you can horsecollar qbs in the pocket this year 🤣

I mean I don’t see why not, I can’t find any NFL rules that are against lifting up your player for defending or catching a jump ball. If someone knows the answer why NFL teams don’t try it, please let me know. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I mean I don’t see why not, I can’t find any NFL rules that are against lifting up your player for defending or catching a jump ball. If someone knows the answer why NFL teams don’t try it, please let me know. 

Yea id love to see someone try it and then dean Blandino will have to furiously search through a rulebook to verify its not against the rules 🤣 this is a wild guess but a lot of these hail mary winners are on tips and deflections so I think theyre trying to maximize the amount of receivers they have on the field

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Yea id love to see someone try it and then dean Blandino will have to furiously search through a yearbook to verify its not against the rules 🤣 this is a wild guess but a lot of these hail mary winners are on tips and deflections so I think theyre trying to maximize the amount of receivers they have on the field

I don’t know why they don’t try it on field goal kicks either. As long as you don’t leap over the lineman it should be legal until the league bans it lol. A NFL team should try a basket toss on a field goal just for the lolz. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I don’t know why they don’t try it on field goal kicks either. As long as you don’t leap over the lineman it should be legal until the league bans it lol. A NFL team should try a basket toss on a field goal just for the lolz. 

It's against the rules on a FG attempt. You can't use a teammate for leverage.

And the reason it wouldn't work on a hail mary is because the ball is coming from 50 yrds away, you don't know exactly where it's heading and you'd essentially just be nullifying the presence of two defenders who would undoubtedly be out of position.

• Like (+1) 1

Good to know, I thought it was only using opponent as leverage. So does this also apply for hailmarys? 

I don't know if it is illegal on a hail mary, but probably not.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If it’s legal and would help a team win, Belichik would’ve already tried it.  

Lol run a route in the end zone and have Beasley get on his knees and hands and have Diggs jump off his back for a jump ball TD. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Can you link me the rule where it says they can’t leverage their own players? I thought as long as you don’t cross the line of scrimmage and land on a player it was still legal? 

It's the leverage rule

LEVERAGE

(o) Jumping or standing on a teammate or opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height in the block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

(q) Being picked up by a teammate in a block or an attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

It's the leverage rule

LEVERAGE

(o) Jumping or standing on a teammate or opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height in the block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

(q) Being picked up by a teammate in a block or an attempt to block an opponent’s kick.

Thank you. Does this also apply for offensive plays or hailmarys? I don’t see any rules for that, just FGs. 

In that situation you push and shove for position and you prevent that catch at any and all costs. A penalty there would have given them just one more play and how often do you see penalties on a hail Mary scrum. Bills were soft and didn't fight Hopkins nearly enough. Like I said you prevent that catch at any cost.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Thank you. Does this also apply for offensive plays or hailmarys? I don’t see any rules for that, just FGs. 

I'm not aware of it applying anywhere else outside of FG attempts.