What is the worst ketchup foul you’ve ever witnessed?

BarleyNY

I’m curious as to what others have seen with regards to abominable ketchup misuse.  I love ketchup on any fried potatoes and it is among the burger topping I use, but other than that the only place I use it is if I’m making my own BBQ sauce.  The worst I’ve personally seen are as follows:

- A HS aged son of a friend smothered it on a perfectly wonderful medium rare tenderloin.  I’m sure most of us have seen that.

- On scrambled eggs.  Like a lot of it.  My very own mother did this.  Now I’m a salsa on scrambled eggs with cheese guy, but ketchup?  Gross.

- Mixed in with macaroni and cheese - and so much so that it’s pink.  Usually done with Kraft M&C. Done by both my mother and daughter.  Which is totally weird because my daughter has never seen my mom do it.  To me this beats out the incredible waste of great steak as the worst for one reason: the smell.  I can’t smell the others so I can always ignore them.  The smell (and sight) of pink ketchup Kraft M&C turns my stomach. 

Please share your horror stories and/or feel free to tell me how wrong I am. 

While I was married, my wife and I would go to a golf course restaurant, near the Cincinnati tennis center, for dinner before watching the 5th major. (Western and Southern Open)

We ate outside, and the ketchup in the bottle was carbonated due to sitting out in the sun.

Explosion upon opening all over a nice shirt of hers. 

They paid the bill and the cleaning bill that she sent to them. 

I'm still divorced........perhaps I should have punched an otter in the face to get things right. @teef

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

My grandfather put it on everything. He once put on his pancakes just to get a reaction. 

Ketchup was considered "medicine" & prescribed...

"Yes, that's right, tomato ketchup was once believed to have medicinal properties and was used as a form of medication to cure diarrhoea, indigestion, rheumatism and jaundice. In 1834, Dr John Cooke Bennett added tomatoes to ketchup and claimed that it could cure the above-mentioned diseases."

https://telanganatoday.com/did-you-know-tomato-ketchup-was-once-used-as-medicine

I love ketchup. As much as I don't particularly like our president, it wasn't until the "news" came out that he likes ketchup on his well-done steaks that I was ever aware that it was such a controversial condiment.  

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Is this song about ketchup, or hand-jobs?

Edited by Buftex
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I love ketchup. As much as I don't particularly like our president, it wasn't until the "news" came out that he likes ketchup on his well-done steaks that I was ever aware that it was such a controversial condiment.  

No one above the age of 7 prefers their steak well done and dips it in ketchup.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Because "ketchup" was traditionally made with tomatoes 🍅.  When "tomato ketchup" was invented,  it was like snake oil.  Marketed as a medicine.

Tomato ketchup just became synonymous with the word ketchup...

Now... Is it: "Ketchup" or "Catsup?"

I guess there is a difference!

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Catsup_vs_Ketchup#:~:text=Catsup may be made of,be more spicy than Ketchup.

"The basic ingredients in modern ketchup are tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon. Onions, celery, and other vegetables are frequent additions. Catsup may be made of tomatoes, onions, cayenne, sugar, white vinegar, cloves, cinnamon, celery seed and salt. So the two do not differ much in their ingredients. But different manufacturers may use different ingredients for the two. Sometimes Catsup may be more spicy than Ketchup."

I don’t get the condiment hate.  I mean, I wouldn’t put ketchup on a nice steak.  All a good steak needs, IMO, is salt and pepper.  I like ketchup on scrambled eggs, hot dogs, burgers, whatever.   Ketchup is good.  

Now, people that dip their french fries in mayonnaise need to be locked in a porto-potty and set on fire.  That ***** is nasty.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No one above the age of 7 prefers their steak well done and dips it in ketchup.

Yeah...I don't like my steak well-done...but I actually don't mind having ketchup with it. Of course, I can live without it.  I guess it comes from growing up in a huge family, when we had a meat-based dinner 5 nights a week.  With 10 of us, he old-man wasn't buying is rib-eyes...it was bottom or top round steaks...London broil, "family steak".  Lower grade cuts. The worchestire sauce was for the adults...ketchup for the kids.  But I still kinda like it, at 55!  And at this point, I am lucky if I have a steak once every few months.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.