OFFICIAL: LB Darron Lee signed to Bills PS

A lot of shade is being thrown on this guy.  

Not many pro-bowl LB are available at this point and we are pretty banged up at the position right now.  I see the upsides he is available, athletic, and likely hungry to get back to the NFL.  I would bet he will be signed to a small contract and cut if he cant play.  Under the circumstances I love it!  The Bills are in in position for a playoff run and a little help could make the difference. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The offseason where Doug Whaley scored Lorenzo Alexander for peanuts he also had another absolute bargain signing...........the enigmatic but athletically gifted Zach Brown.

Also age 26.

He ended up going from being a disappointing reserve in TN to leading the NFL in tackles for the Bills.

Beane is long overdue for a score like that............a player every team had a chance to sign but didn't who then turns into a very good player for a couple seasons or so.

So while Lee has hard-earned his doubters........it's certainly not out of the question that he could put it together.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Not many pro-bowl LB are available at this point and we are pretty banged up at the position right now.  I see the upsides he is available, athletic, and likely hungry to get back to the NFL.  I would bet he will be signed to a small contract and cut if he cant play.  Under the circumstances I love it!  The Bills are in in position for a playoff run and a little help could make the difference. 

I'm surprised we haven't heard an official announcement by now.

Maybe he's not coming?

🤔

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The offseason where Doug Whaley scored Lorenzo Alexander for peanuts he also had another absolute bargain signing...........the enigmatic but athletically gifted Zach Brown.

Also age 26.

He ended up going from being a disappointing reserve in TN to leading the NFL in tackles for the Bills.

Beane is long overdue for a score like that............a player every team had a chance to sign but didn't who then turns into a very good player for a couple seasons or so.

So while Lee has hard-earned his doubters........it's certainly not out of the question that he could put it together.

Darryl Williams is exactly that.  Hopefully we can keep him past this season but I have a feeling it will be expensive 

Brown was a Bill for one season.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Darryl Williams is exactly that.  Hopefully we can keep him past this season but I have a feeling it will be expensive 

Brown was a Bill for one season.

Yeah I would put Williams a different category.   He was an All Pro recently and was just available for one year on the cheap because of an off year recovering from major injury.   He was also a flyer on a player they knew which they have generally not had good luck with.    As good as Williams is his performance is more than off-set by those albatross cap hits sustained by the acquisitions of busts like Benjamin, Lotulelei and Klein etc..

Brown was available because he just never came close to living up to the expectations based on his draft status and athleticism..........which is more comparable to where Lee is right now.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Also age 26.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I would put Williams a different category.   He was an All Pro recently and was just available for one year on the cheap because of an off year recovering from major injury.   He was also a flyer on a player they knew which they have generally not had good luck with.    As good as Williams is his performance is more than off-set by those albatross cap hits sustained by the acquisitions of busts like Benjamin, Lotulelei and Klein etc..

Brown was available because he just never came close to living up to the expectations based on his draft status and athleticism..........which is more comparable to where Lee is right now.

a player every team had a chance to sign but didn't who then turns into a very good player for a couple seasons or so.

Williams is exactly as you stated except it’s only been for one year.....just like Brown was. Now you’re changing the parameters.  

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

D.Williams this year, and Spain and Feliciano last year were some examples of hitting off the scrap heap. I would also add in Jordan Phillips in 2018. Mc Beane has done a lot of great work on lower level FA signings. Hopefully Lee provides some help on defense. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

a player every team had a chance to sign but didn't who then turns into a very good player for a couple seasons or so.

Williams is exactly as you stated except it’s only been for one year.....just like Brown was. Now you’re changing the parameters.  

Correct I am changing parameters and I already indicated why I don't see Daryl Williams in the same light as I would view a guy like Lee turning into a success story.

What I am looking for is an indication that the Bills scouting is showing any superiority over the average franchise.

We aren't seeing that.

Another example is Jordan Phillips..........a talented but very underperforming player in Miami..........but in his case they had the early waiver claim so the entire league didn't get a shot to sign him.

They have had some hits.

But he Bills personnel department under Beane has not been very efficient.

They miss too much.

They waste a lot of cap room......but in modest increments so there aren't the huge mistakes visible.........but ultimately it has limited their flexibility with the cap a lot more than you would like to see just 2 years after clearing the books. 

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

D.Williams this year, and Spain and Feliciano last year were some examples of hitting off the scrap heap. I would also add in Jordan Phillips in 2018. Mc Beane has done a lot of great work on lower level FA signings. Hopefully Lee provides some help on defense. 

But that would mean that Beane did good. We prefer not to talk about that stuff here

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Spain experiment ended poorly and wasn't cheap.   

Feliciano was a good, inexpensive pickup but he hasn't played a snap this season yet and I suspect if they cut him today he'd probably end up on someone's practice squad like Spain is right now.   

Those guys filled a role but they weren't exceptional.

Lorax was an NFLDPOY candidate.

Brown lead the NFL in tackles.

Poyer and Hyde were instantly one of the top 10 safety tandems in the league.

There is a difference between adequate and exceptional.

4 hours ago, artmalibu said:

As you point out the upside is high and the down side is very limited- he can't be much worse than Klein who I think is miscast- so as long as he does not cost too much cash I don't see much problems 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Good post. 

Not sure about he kids mindset. But if he buys in ?

any updates on him signing yea or nay ??

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I have a good bit of faith in Bills pro scouts. Even with the glaring errors. K Benjamin being a fine example of epic fail   LOL

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

We obviously don't miss him this season.

The Bills were like 18th in yards per carry allowed last year.........and are 21st this year(tied with Baltimore among others).   

They weren't stout last year when they had healthy starting LB's and a $50M 1-tech.

But don't worry they get Star and his $11M remaining guaranteed back next year and then the rushing attacks around the league will be sorry!