OFFICIAL: LB Darron Lee signed to Bills PS

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looks like he got the starter guide 

He didn't include #bluecheese....

BUST

16 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

My hot take Lee has a Hughes like impact on the team like Jerry had when we got him for a bag of footballs 

Mine is that he becomes a solid 3rd down LB.

Is that hot enough?

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair points.  But the Bills were 4th in "yards given up" as well...and not that great on take-aways (10th I think) which provides some objective evidence of "stoutness" and that their success on preventing points wasn't all due to fortuitous takeaways.  Some was, for sure.

We were 7th in 3rd down and 4th down conversion, which again...argues some stoutness to me.

I do wonder if there's something hidden in those averages that may be to what you allude.  The analogy in my head is what Traci Mann, the U Minn Psychology prof who wrote 'Secrets From the Eating Lab', said about dieting.  She points out that in most avenues of life, if you resist temptation and focus 90 or 95% of the time, you will likely be pretty successful.  But in dieting, if you resist a plate of donuts 95% of the time then clean the plate, Not So Much. 

When I look at yard given up against the top offenses last year - we gave up a buttload of yards to the Cowboys and NE.  We didn't give up a buttload to the Ravens - in fact we held them to 4 3-and-outs, a 4-and -out, and a 6-and-out, but the yards we did give up were largely concentrated on 2 long drives leading to TDs.  

And that does, to my memory of it, seem to be the Bills pattern - we can be stout much of the time, but when we most need the D to get a stop, sometimes they just can't.  I do wonder if the Ravens and Houston games exposed some specific tendencies that are worse this year and that savvy teams like KC and the Titans are drilling into - that, and of course neither our DL nor our LB are seemingly nearly as good this year.

I can't argue the notion that the Bills have not, to date, gotten enough production out of their top draft picks on defense.

The Dolphins are the toughest defense in the NFL to score on this season allowing just 18.6 points per game..........they lowered their season number allowing just 17 yesterday..........but also allowed the Rams to run NFL record 94 offensive plays and amass nearly 500 yards of offense.  

There used to be a much better correlation between defensive stats and the old in-person eyeball test.

Most defenses aren't really stopping much.

Which is, of course, another reason I want to add offense at the trade deadline over defense.