Do dogs have Stockholm Syndrome?

EmotionallyUnstable

This is fantastic!  We can never really know. 

Sorry for ruining the joke with the following.  I saw a show that ran an experiment on dogs and wolves.  First they put a piece of raw meat on a stick that was stuck through a cage.  They put several of each group into the area.  Both were able to paw it out of the cage and eat it.  No problem.  Then they tacked the stick down so they couldn’t get it out.  Both became agitated.  The wolves then looked to their pack for help while the dogs looked to the people running the experiment for help.  That certainly supports the idea that dogs see people as part of their pack the same as they do other dogs while wolves do not.  I guess it would support the Stockholm Syndrome theory as well though. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Day 26: The humans keep giving me human food, but then yell when I get on the human table. I shall proceed carefully...

His first year, I refused to feed my puppy any human food.

I don't know how it happened, but now he doesn't like to eat things that taste/smell like bacon.

Edited by unbillievable

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

4l7u8k.jpg

We bring our newest Golden Retriever puppy home on Saturday, my 7th. We got her from the the same breeder as our current Golden.  Gracie loves when puppies come to visit! She’s 11 but acts like she’s 6 months old when a puppy comes to the house. 

It’s strange, but we are getting a dog...................for our dog! 

The young dogs learn everything from the trained dogs. It’s a thousand times easier, I’ve been down this road before. Words mean nothing to them, but watching the older dog tells them exactly what to do. It’s like magic! 

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/27/2020 at 6:41 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Is that why they are so happy?

After years of captivity and domestication, reliance on their captors for food, shelter and survival, are dogs truly man’s best friend or a tortured and manipulated victim? 

Dogs descend from wolves and are pack animals., so they are happiest within a pack.   Dogs raised with people accept their people as their pack, and they aren't particularly bothered by being subordinate to human pack members because that's just how packs are organized.

The relationship between dog and man is more symbiotic than captor/prisoner.    Man gives dogs food, shelter, and care while dogs give man protection, assistance with various tasks, and unconditional love.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.