Game Plan vs. Titans: Stopping Derrick Henry

The Bills did a solid job in the second half once they settled on a rotation with Oliver and Phillips and then Butler and Jefferson.  Josh Jacobs who is regarded as a top RB, along with Henry, didn’t do much damage and even was stuffed by Eddie on 4th-and-1.  

As far as Henry’s effectiveness, it will come down to the Bills DL winning vs.  Tennessee.  

The danger that I see are on 2nd-or-short and 3rd-and-short situations Tennessee can dictate our 4-3 defensive personnel, meaning AJ Klein will be on the field to defend the TE’s.  He was badly abused by Fitzpatrick in Miami, bit on play action, and failed to recover.  I can see that as a huge opportunity for Tennessee to use PA, get the ball to Smith or Brown in the open field for a big gain.

Huge task for our DL tomorrow 

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Initial instinct was to say elephant turd, but I've seen those at African Lion Safari in Southern Ontario.  Rhino was just my best guess, but on second thought it is probably similar to elephant.  

I would wager it is probably legal to grease your hair, but would probably be impossible to wash out of a knotted mess like his.

WD40.....Bills seriously need to stack box and force Tanny to throw and get an interception or two.

Henry Production Last 2 meeting vs the BILLS

att  yrd  avg   lg   td

20 78 3.90 24 1

11 56 5.09 14 0

Bills have done a good job against Henry in prior meetings

As long as the Bills defenders stay in their gaps they should be fine.

BTW I personally think that Henry is more dangerous late in the year and in Jan due to team fatigue where tackling someone like Henry is much more harder especially in the cold

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

att  yrd  avg   lg   td

20 78 3.90 24 1

11 56 5.09 14 0

BTW I personally think that Henry is more dangerous late in the year and in Jan due to team fatigue where tackling someone like Henry is much more harder especially in the cold

why did Henry not get more carries in that 2018 game I wonder?  I was there... it was an old-fashioned slobberknocker.

this might be a game where Edmunds height is not an issue.  Generally I think he is too tall for MLB because he is constantly beat by  backs at the point of contact.  

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

att  yrd  avg   lg   td

20 78 3.90 24 1

11 56 5.09 14 0

good point about staying in the gaps.  !

23 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

why did Henry not get more carries in that 2018 game I wonder?  I was there... it was an old-fashioned slobberknocker.

It’s funny cause I noticed that to because of the per carry average was good. I’m going to  watch that game tonight on gamepass

Agree they should play a base 4-3.  Their RBs and TEs are not a threat in the passing game.  Big running backs are best stopped before they get going. Run blitz with our safeties and expect White ands Norman to hold up on the back end.  Then penetrate into the backfield.  Oliver needs to be active penetrating and create havoc in the backfield.  

As others said, get a lead early and hope they abandon the run game

• Like (+1) 1

I can believe the stat about us being #4 against the run.

Trouble is, we haven't actually been that good.

The reality is that much like the generally preferred approach to dealing with it in this thread at least, we have limited runs against us, by getting good leads, and forcing the opposition to throw.

If ever there was a case about stats lying, we have it with that one. I doubt there's any Bills fan who would say that we are currently, a good D against the run.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Henry has gotten 116, 84, and 119 rush yards respectively in the Titans 3 wins.

That's against the #8, #25, and #28 rushing defenses.

Bills, believe it or don't, are #4 currently. 

Not to be picky, but we're only 4th in rushing yards allowed because we've only played 4 games. We're 8th in yards per game allowed and 16th in yards per carry allowed. I'm still not too worried about Henry regardless.

@Buddo

Edited by gobills404

4 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

This is one of those games where we have to come out early and score. Make Tannehill be the one to beat us and make him do it through the air. I fully expect them to run it early and use play action just like the Rams did. If we can stop the initial onslaught of Henry, the game turns in our favor. If he starts off gashing us early, it's going to be a long game. Plenty of play action, plenty of chances to shut him down early and control the game. 

I just hope they come out playing man to man so we can unleash 'Allen to Diggs' and make them change up how they want to defend us. 

Most teams have given the Bills the ball in the first half, preferring to start the 2nd half with the ball as our half time adjustments have been suspect.

Curious to see if that trend holds as Allen and Daboll have been money in those early possessions.

4 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

This is one of those games where we have to come out early and score. Make Tannehill be the one to beat us and make him do it through the air. I fully expect them to run it early and use play action just like the Rams did. If we can stop the initial onslaught of Henry, the game turns in our favor. If he starts off gashing us early, it's going to be a long game. Plenty of play action, plenty of chances to shut him down early and control the game. 

I just hope they come out playing man to man so we can unleash 'Allen to Diggs' and make them change up how they want to defend us. 

Buffalo has scored early in every game this year.  Tomorrow will be no different.  It is a horrible matchup for the Titan defense

29 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I can believe the stat about us being #4 against the run.

Trouble is, we haven't actually been that good.

The reality is that much like the generally preferred approach to dealing with it in this thread at least, we have limited runs against us, by getting good leads, and forcing the opposition to throw.

If ever there was a case about stats lying, we have it with that one. I doubt there's any Bills fan who would say that we are currently, a good D against the run.

Here are the following total rushing yards:

Jets - 52 yds on 15 runs - 3.5 yds per carry

Dolphins - 99 yds on 22 runs - 4.5 yds per carry

Rams - 167 yds on 32 runs - 5.2 yds per carry

Raiders - 87 yds on 23 runs - 3.8 yds per carry 

Bills have done ok. I'd like to see the average below 4yds a carry every game. 

20 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Here are the following total rushing yards:

Jets - 52 yds on 15 runs - 3.5 yds per carry                   35 Passing Attempts

Dolphins - 99 yds on 22 runs - 4.5 yds per carry           47 Passing Attempts

Rams - 167 yds on 32 runs - 5.2 yds per carry              32 Passing Attempts

Raiders - 87 yds on 23 runs - 3.8 yds per carry             44 Passing Attempts

Bills have done ok. I'd like to see the average below 4yds a carry every game. 

See the numbers in italics. The only team to actually commit to the run, were the Rams, and look how they did. The Rams aside, all of the other teams passed, because they felt they had to, to try and stay in the game.

3 minutes ago, Buddo said:

See the numbers in italics. The only team to actually commit to the run, were the Rams, and look how they did. The Rams aside, all of the other teams passed, because they felt they had to, to try and stay in the game.

Rams PA passing killed the Bills that game. They were also gifted a short field on the phantom interception. Then once they were within striking distance they were able to run the ball and got the lead for a short time.