The Sporting News looks back at 2018 QB class

With time clarity of who made the right decision (e.g., right Josh :) ), Lamar stolen, ... The Sporting News discussed where the players are but more interestingly who was focused on which QB, such as the Cardinals really wanted Josh Allen, the Jets wanted Baker or Darnold and Rosen would have been their consolation prize, the Fins liked Allen ... I know there have been previous article but this had some insights I personally had not seen before .. so sharing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/sam-darnold-nfl-draft-2018-jets-josh-allen-lamar-jackson/1702wp9s9p41e10seq8ywgq5b9

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Interesting that Gase really wanted Allen in Miami. Thank god he didnt get to ruin him. Allen would have been out of the league in 2 years.

I agree. Many fans don't realize how vital the team you get drafted to is for a QBs success. If you don't have what it takes then you won't make it regardless of who drafts you but its certain many many QBs who would have otherwise succeeded were, as you say "ruined," by the circumstances or coaches of the team that drafted them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

What Allen proves is that having the right environment and support around a QB is the most important factor in his success.

Well said.  We can debate whether Allen would be successful on another team.  But Buffalo weirdly has become a great place for a qb to develop.  I think any of those guys would have been been much better players in Buffalo (except Lamar because he is doing alright where he is).

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

What Allen proves is that having the right environment and support around a QB is the most important factor in his success.

So your saying Nate Peterman would have developed the same as Allen if we stuck with him as the starter? 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Chaos said:

"most important thing" is your phrase,  not mine.

Personally I think the most important thing is the players talent. 

Look, we can keep going back and forth like this, acting like you didn't know exactly what I meant.  That's fine.  It keeps me occupied because I get bored easily.

• Haha (+1) 1

I keep forgetting that the Ravens took a TE with their 1st round pick and had to MOVE BACK into the 1st to take Jackson.

If the Ravens had so much conviction regarding Jackson then why didn't they take him in the original 1st round pick?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I will repeat myself: Where you land matters. A LOT! 

I agree with this but I think it also under states the qualities of Allen that set him apart. Allen's energy is contagious, and his athletic ability is next level. Those are two things that can really help a young QB on a bad team. We saw all those things in Allen's first year when the supporting cast around him was still really bad.

Jets fans like to say Allen would be just like Darnold if they had switched teams. That's simply not true.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Allen's energy is contagious

Haven’t seen anyone talk specifically about JA getting angry; during the game and afterwards at the Presser.
   I LOVE that he was pissed about the lead being blown! He is becoming the leader before our eyes. That was a message being sent to the whole team. He clearly leads by example and leaves it all on the field. I hope to see the D take some of that shame to heart this week.

We clearly got the best QB in 2018

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

With time clarity of who made the right decision (e.g., right Josh :) ), Lamar stolen, ... The Sporting News discussed where the players are but more interestingly who was focused on which QB, such as the Cardinals really wanted Josh Allen, the Jets wanted Baker or Darnold and Rosen would have been their consolation prize, the Fins liked Allen ... I know there have been previous article but this had some insights I personally had not seen before .. so sharing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/sam-darnold-nfl-draft-2018-jets-josh-allen-lamar-jackson/1702wp9s9p41e10seq8ywgq5b9

I know it's nitpicking, but there are a couple of flaws in the arricle.

1) The author states Arizona was at #10. " The Cardinals, however, were looming at No. 10, and the Bills were originally picking at No. 12." They were at 15 when the Bills traded up to 7.  They moved up to 10 to select Rosen when the Raiders were on the clock at 10.  They didn't have the #10 pick until they traded up, presumably to get ahead of Miami.

2) When the Ravens drafted Jackson, Marty Mornhinwig was the Ravens OC, Roman was TE coach Jackson's rookie year.  Roman was promoted to OC  for the 2019 season.  Saying that Roman was on the offensive coaching staff doesn't mean he'd be working with Jackson while coaching the TEs.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Look, we can keep going back and forth like this, acting like you didn't know exactly what I meant.  That's fine.  It keeps me occupied because I get bored easily.

There are meds for that.

2 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Interesting that Gase really wanted Allen in Miami. Thank god he didnt get to ruin him. Allen would have been out of the league in 2 years.

Let's not pretend that Allen's first season in Buffalo was anything but woefully mismanaged.

• Like (+1) 1