Epenesa played 17 snaps ..

CorkScrewHill

3 hours ago, hemma said:

Your comment forced me to rewatch and focus on Oliver.  He was 'manhandled' 1x and that was a borderline hold/Greco Roman wrestling move.

Was double teamed quite a bit and still had a real solid game. 

He was the only DL that consistently got his hands up.  Knocked down one and just missed a couple more, not to mention a couple of hits on Fitz, a sack plus other tackles.

Was our best DL in that game.

I saw it differently but willing to go back and watch again. I saw him get pushed around alot during the run. 

13 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Don't get me started on that...... Madden 21 was a no go for me... Madden 20 was like a cartoon and now 21 is just as bad I hear...

Madden hasn't been consistently good since just after NFL 2k stopped making licensed NFL games. Don't get me wrong I am sure there have been a few good installments of Madden (personally liked Madden 10 and 11) but for the most part the best case scenario is usually a big feature will be added but then it takes 2 years before they work out all the bugs with it or they won't bother to add any big gameplay features and just refine what is there marginally and then add some big mode that adds very little to the game. I wish the NFL sold its rights to two companies again.

2K pushed Madden to be better and Madden pushed 2K to be better. 2K in my mind was always more simulation based than Madden but Madden focused on game modes and game control (unique things like QB vision and Owner mode) as well as graphics. It was great as a fan because you had a great choice between a simulation based game with great presentation (2K) or a better looking game with better gameplay modes and unique in game controls (Madden.) Both games had their pros and cons but as a consumer it was great to have a choice. 

Madden 04-06 was some of the best Madden games EA ever put out and certainly the best three year stretch Madden ever had. Now Madden meanders between bad and above average offerings with no alternative to the consumer. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Madden hasn't been consistently good since just after NFL 2k stopped making licensed NFL games. Don't get me wrong I am sure there have been a few good installments of Madden (personally liked Madden 10 and 11) but for the most part the best case scenario is usually a big feature will be added but then it takes 2 years before they work out all the bugs with it or they won't bother to add any big gameplay features and just refine what is there marginally and then add some big mode that adds very little to the game. I wish the NFL sold its rights to two companies again.

2K pushed Madden to be better and Madden pushed 2K to be better. 2K in my mind was always more simulation based than Madden but Madden focused on game modes and game control (unique things like QB vision and Owner mode) as well as graphics. It was great as a fan because you had a great choice between a simulation based game with great presentation (2K) or a better looking game with better gameplay modes and unique in game controls (Madden.) Both games had their pros and cons but as a consumer it was great to have a choice. 

Madden 04-06 was some of the best Madden games EA ever put out and certainly the best three year stretch Madden ever had. Now Madden meanders between bad and above average offerings with no alternative to the consumer. 

I've been playing Madden EVERY YEAR since the second Madden game was produced in 1991, and this year was my breaking point. Last year the cartoonishness was so bad that I swore I wouldn't buy 21, and I stuck with it... I will play FIFA 21 this year. It's the only sports franchise EA hasn't completely ruined.

I TOTALLY agree on the 2K front! 2K brought you a presentation that was really innovative and Madden copied it. Now, the innovation is a cheesy mode and shuffling around a bit for a "new" season and roster changes... 

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I've been playing Madden EVERY YEAR since the second Madden game was produced in 1991, and this year was my breaking point. Last year the cartoonishness was so bad that I swore I wouldn't buy 21, and I stuck with it... I will play FIFA 21 this year. It's the only sports franchise EA hasn't completely ruined.

I TOTALLY agree on the 2K front! 2K brought you a presentation that was really innovative and Madden copied it. Now, the innovation is a cheesy mode and shuffling around a bit for a "new" season and roster changes... 

I broke up with Madden many years ago around Madden 14. I just got sick of core gameplay mechanics from NFL 2k5 still not being in the game. I forgave it a bit in Madden 07-09 because they were making a jump to a new system (going from Xbox and PS2 to PS3 and the Xbox 360) and I only rented those versions. By Madden 2010-2011 they added in a lot of gameplay stuff that was in NFL 2k5 (pocket forming around the QB and gang tackling) so I enjoyed the games more even if it still had some issues. But by Madden 14 I was still frustrated by how they still lacked some key features from NFL 2k5 (the way the run blocking is and the situational awareness of the players to name some.) By then they had been working with the 360 and PS3 for nearly a decade.

Once they couldn't get that stuff in there I knew Madden was never going to change. The gameplay stagnated in the early 2010's and the little things like owner mode never got improved to where they were in Madden 05/06. I am just saddened about the lack of an alternative. Only having Madden to choose from just turned me off from football video games. I remember thinking in 2004 when Madden 05 and NFL2K5 came out how much better sports games would be in 15 years and they are a mixed bag. So sad.

15 hours ago, krf139 said:

While this is just a guess not based on anything specific, I have a feeling we might be looking at the next Aaron Maybin.

What? Where in the world did you get that comparison? Just an extremely lazy take. 
Epenesa was not drafted 11th overall expected to be an impact franchise player. 
He was drafted in the second round as depth with potential to start later. Also they play two completely different styles. Maybin had zero positional versatility. 
I’ll apologize in advance if you’re talking about someone else I didn’t read all 4 pages, but if that comment was about Epenesa it’s extremely lazy after we’ve barely even seen him play 

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/23/2020 at 1:30 AM, Billzfan37 said:

Still should have gone cornerback with that pick.  Had to be someone available at that pick better than Levi Wallace

I disagree. Next year Epenesa will be critical. Both in terms of contracts ending and cap space cuts we needed to get a pipeline of DEs. Its a really old group, and we needed to get someone in to develop. It's been shown later round CBs are far easier to find than DEs. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I broke up with Madden many years ago around Madden 14. I just got sick of core gameplay mechanics from NFL 2k5 still not being in the game. I forgave it a bit in Madden 07-09 because they were making a jump to a new system (going from Xbox and PS2 to PS3 and the Xbox 360) and I only rented those versions. By Madden 2010-2011 they added in a lot of gameplay stuff that was in NFL 2k5 (pocket forming around the QB and gang tackling) so I enjoyed the games more even if it still had some issues. But by Madden 14 I was still frustrated by how they still lacked some key features from NFL 2k5 (the way the run blocking is and the situational awareness of the players to name some.) By then they had been working with the 360 and PS3 for nearly a decade.

Once they couldn't get that stuff in there I knew Madden was never going to change. The gameplay stagnated in the early 2010's and the little things like owner mode never got improved to where they were in Madden 05/06. I am just saddened about the lack of an alternative. Only having Madden to choose from just turned me off from football video games. I remember thinking in 2004 when Madden 05 and NFL2K5 came out how much better sports games would be in 15 years and they are a mixed bag. So sad.

It is sad... exclusive deals has given EA way too much power. Anyone who can afford the licensing should be able to buy the rights.

In FIFA 21, the Serie A Italian league is really sticking it to EA... Juventus and Roma flat out refused to sell the rights of their clubs to EA and instead gave it to Konami, so now EA has to roll with some fake logo and jersey for both teams. I hope more teams stick it to EA- more freedom to do so than the NFL teams have.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

On 9/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He needs a year in the weight room.

A 5.02 40-yard, 17 reps on the bench and 32” vertical.

He is a sub-par NFL athlete based on those testing metrics, so I think that’s where he needs to improve to get onto the field. 

I got him by one rep in the bench press and I can run a 4.82 40, I’m better than him. 6’0 234 45 years old. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Haven't watched all plays, but on one passing down he had a great move past the LT and was heading to Fitz, but #1 got the ball out in a split second.   Echo what others said, hard to get that pass rush there when the game plan calls for the release of the ball at the end of a quick drop.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, TBBills said:

Don't worry bro... He's a "Luxury Pick"

IDK he’s playing quite a bit of defensive snaps

On 9/23/2020 at 8:59 AM, krf139 said:

While this is just a guess not based on anything specific, I have a feeling we might be looking at the next Aaron Maybin.

I wouldn’t make this jump.  I do think is fair to question what his ceiling is based on how his career starts but as someone wisely pointed out you could say the same about Ed Oliver in Wwek 2 of 2019 and he came  around