At 95 years old, Marv Levy still sharp and has a lot to give (article)

Logic

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/buffalo/at-95-levy-still-sharp-and-has-a-lot-to-give/

“I’m very impressed by him,” Levy said early this week from his home in Chicago. “I’ve studied a lot of what he does. I think they are definitely heading in the right direction. Sean is the right guy.”

Levy’s wife, Fran, jumped on the line and echoed her husband’s regard for McDermott, who at season’s end will be the first Bills head coach since Marv to lead the squad for four full seasons. 

“We love Sean McDermott, really,” she said. “He calls Marv all the time. He really likes Marv. Other coaches didn’t want to associate with anything Marv did and his teams, the Buffalo Bills of the Eighties and Nineties. 

“But Sean McDermott has embraced Marv. We feel so good about this.”

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

“Where would you rather be than right here right now” 

Marv is a good man, and as Sean has seen him as a good resource for particular points of information evidently, that’s cool 👍

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Good for Marv.  95 and still ticking! 

No kidding! My mom is almost 93, and she calls my wife to say her phone is not working. My wife responds “well, you just called me, so it seems to be working.” Oh.....

And I think MY MOM is doing great! Marv is awesome! God bless that man! 

• Like (+1) 1

It pleases me to hear that McDermott contacts Marv to pick his brain. What he takes from those sessions, who knows....but to show that sort of respect says a lot about our current coach.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

It pleases me to hear that McDermott contacts Marv to pick his brain. What he takes from those sessions, who knows....but to show that sort of respect says a lot about our current coach.

I would guess not as much game planning, but how to deal with athletes as people and to gain their respect and get them to buy into the process. How to deal with failure?

• Like (+1) 1

“We love Sean McDermott, really,” she said. “He calls Marv all the time. He really likes Marv. Other coaches didn’t want to associate with anything Marv did and his teams, the Buffalo Bills of the Eighties and Nineties. 

Im making assumptions by only the text and not having the benefit of hearing her voice, but it sounds like to me he/they were kinda hurt that past coaches didn't reach out. Maybe I'm being captain obvious on my comments, but I feel for them and glad Coach McDermott talks to Coach Levy. I'm sure he is able to bounce things off of Marv and/or just confide in him. As a coach myself, its nice to be able to do that with someone (Im not professional or collegiate, Im way futher down the totem pole haha).

Best thing about Marv was he was a great leader and motivator, and he somehow kept the strong personalities on the team focused and working together.

Sean appears to be a great leader and motivator as well. And he has a clear goal and steps to achieve those goals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Best thing about Marv was he was a great leader and motivator, and he somehow kept the strong personalities on the team focused and working together.

Sean appears to be a great leader and motivator as well. And he has a clear goal and steps to achieve those goals.

They have different personalities but they definitely share some similar traits!  Feels great to finally have a head coach who is a leader of men. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Marv Levy, he has none of the attributes I admire and all the vices I despise.               Go Marv

You mean the opposite, perhaps? There might be some posters on this board who approximate the character you describe, but except for Gugny I have them on ignore.

Edited by Dr. Who

Love Marv, but still think he was out coached in all 4 super bowl losses and our talent was equal if not greater in all 4 (except maybe the last one).  Glad to hear that he and McDermott have a great relationship, says a lot about both men. 

13 hours ago, Beast said:

This.  The Bills absolutely struck gold with McD.  He is a man who “gets it” through and through.  And who doesn’t love Marv?

(don’t start talking about the Super Bowl losses...we all know)

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

To me, this just speaks volumes for the man's respect and character. The "Process" is real and I truly believe this makes for a better team. 

Love to hear that Marv is still going strong. Very intelligent man that never got the credit for his coaching abilities. Used to love hearing his quotes. 

He did.  He is a Hall of Fame Head Coach. 

• Like (+1) 1