The FB situation...

eball

...anybody else think that perhaps DiMarco is headed to IR and Gilliam will make the 53?  Apparently DiMarco hasn’t practiced all camp and Gilliam has looked good, both on ST and in limited offensive reps.  Are guys on IR allowed to attend meetings?  And I’m referring to team meetings, not those of the high level business variety.

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

I believe Gilliam is cheaper so it would make sense given the downturn in cap next year. 

I do believe if you’re on IR you can participate in meetings. If I recall correctly, Harrison Phillips did it last year. 

And I’m going the IR route rather than straight cut because of just that — the ability to have DiMarco’s presence/leadership still in the room.

• Like (+1) 4

We've all heard the common refrain that Dimarco is a good leader and that McDermott likes him, but as a player, Gilliam seems like the better player already. Sounds like he has made multiple plays out of the backfield in camp and his ST abilities in college particularly at blocking kicks were excellent.

Add in the youth and cap savings and I'm hoping we give Gilliam a shot whether that means cutting or IR'ing Dimarco (who in my eyes has been overpaid and has under-produced since he signed with Buffalo). 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The player still counts against the cap. Only benefit is the roster spot. 

so what happens if a team is tight up against the cap, a higher priced player gets hurt and has to go on IR.  The team fills the roster spot with a lower priced guy?  What happens to cap compliance?

2 minutes ago, cage said:

so what happens if a team is tight up against the cap, a higher priced player gets hurt and has to go on IR.  The team fills the roster spot with a lower priced guy?  What happens to cap compliance?

they spend what they have available 

They might go the PUP route too. That might be better in this scenario. I think in order for him to be able to return this year, he would need to be placed on IR after week 1 so would still need to be part of the initial 53. Unless they changed that rule for this year as well. 

I have been on the DiMarco is making the team bus and I still think if healthy he would. He is a really good special teams player and a leader. But apparently he hasn't practiced at all. So there is a fair chance now for Gilliam to make this team. It is the final year of DiMarco's deal and I very much doubt they extend so if he can't go the chances are he is cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, that would make sense. Plus with this year’s IR rules it is even more of an option. If Gilliam gets hurt you can bring DiMarco  back. 

This was my thought. IR Dimarco and you always have the option to designate for return. 

Dimarco - meh.  Gilliam checks a few more boxes plus the Bills RARELY seem to utilize the FB enough to make this a major point of conversation imo.

Keep Gilly, figger out how to deal with Dimarco.....my $0.02

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

We've all heard the common refrain that Dimarco is a good leader and that McDermott likes him, but as a player, Gilliam seems like the better player already. Sounds like he has made multiple plays out of the backfield in camp and his ST abilities in college particularly at blocking kicks were excellent.

Add in the youth and cap savings and I'm hoping we give Gilliam a shot whether that means cutting or IR'ing Dimarco (who in my eyes has been overpaid and has under-produced since he signed with Buffalo). 

I feel the same way !

I know McD likes leadership in the lockeroom and it’s important  

but so is production on the field I would like to see the rookie take over the FB position 

GO BILLS!!

• Thank you (+1) 1