The FB situation...

eball

I know Dimarco is a good leader & a vet that can help the rookies and all but for what they pay him & the fact that he is used very sparingly on the field i don't think what they get out of him is worth keeping him on the final 53 . 

When they got him he was supposedly 1 of the best in the league and probably still is but is the contribution worth the pay check ? 

Just read this in The Athletic:

Patrick DiMarco is still out with a neck injury and has missed a significant portion of training camp. In his absence, Reggie Gilliam has gotten plenty of action. The Bills list him as a fullback/tight end, and the undrafted rookie out of Toledo is showing the skills to be that hybrid player in the offense. Gilliam’s calling card coming out of Toledo was his special-teams prowess, and now the Bills are getting a chance to see what he can do on offense. He caught a touchdown pass during red-zone work, running a sharp route and showing off his hands.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They might go the PUP route too. That might be better in this scenario. I think in order for him to be able to return this year, he would need to be placed on IR after week 1 so would still need to be part of the initial 53. Unless they changed that rule for this year as well. 

PUP is not an option anymore.  He has already practiced and PUP is for players coming to camp with an injury.

But IR is an option.  The thing is to be eligible to come back he has to be on the roster at cut down.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Ok, this thread aged well.  McD apparently just said Gilliam "has a long way to go" and he's now listed as a TE.

Well that seals it, he is making the team!  LOL

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

PUP is not an option anymore.  He has already practiced and PUP is for players coming to camp with an injury.

But IR is an option.  The thing is to be eligible to come back he has to be on the roster at cut down.

Well that seals it, he is making the team!  LOL

Ah I thought they said he never practiced at all 

The only difference I see between the two is that one of them is new and one of them is not. I don't see how anyone can claim that Gilliam is better at anything than DiMarco. It's just hopeful speculation because fans (inexplicably) have wanted DiMarco cut for years now.

7 hours ago, eball said:

...anybody else think that perhaps DiMarco is headed to IR and Gilliam will make the 53?  Apparently DiMarco hasn’t practiced all camp and Gilliam has looked good, both on ST and in limited offensive reps.  Are guys on IR allowed to attend meetings?  And I’m referring to team meetings, not those of the high level business variety.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, that would make sense. Plus with this year’s IR rules it is even more of an option. If Gilliam gets hurt you can bring DiMarco  back. 

I won't be shocked to see Gilliam make the roster instead of DeMarco but can't see them keeping him AND paying him just for the meeting part.  I think they just cut him. 

You can only bring DeMarco or anyone back from IR IF they are on the active 53 on Saturday.  Could then move him to IR Sunday, but that means leaving someone else unprotected on Saturday.  There's a pretty good chance DeMarco doesn't even get picked up by anyone else so could always re-sign him off the street. 

Though since he's hurt does that require them moving him to IR then giving him an IR injury settlement which then does not allow the Bills to re-sign him?

9 hours ago, eball said:

And I’m going the IR route rather than straight cut because of just that — the ability to have DiMarco’s presence/leadership still in the room.

Leadership and experience are good...but so is " production". Can't keep guys if they don't offer much on the field

On 8/31/2020 at 7:00 AM, eball said:

...anybody else think that perhaps DiMarco is headed to IR and Gilliam will make the 53?  Apparently DiMarco hasn’t practiced all camp and Gilliam has looked good, both on ST and in limited offensive reps.  Are guys on IR allowed to attend meetings?  And I’m referring to team meetings, not those of the high level business variety.

Looks like my idea wasn't so crazy after all....

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

So does this mean Gilliam is a lock to make the team? And does it matter in any way that he is listed as a TE instead of a FB? 

I honestly would be surprised if Gilliam made it.  No need for a FB with Lee Smith and Sweeney, IMO.  Two back sets with moss and motor.

22 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

So does this mean Gilliam is a lock to make the team? And does it matter in any way that he is listed as a TE instead of a FB? 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I honestly would be surprised if Gilliam made it.  No need for a FB with Lee Smith and Sweeney, IMO.  Two back sets with moss and motor.

Gilliam has a lot of good qualities and could be a versatile tool for both the offense and ST.  I wouldn't be surprised...