“Become the best version of themselves...”

eball

We have heard McD say this over and over again when talking about what their goal is when players come to Buffalo.  He seems to say it now almost as much as “respect the process.”  But what I have noticed over the past several weeks is that in multiple interviews with players they have also brought this up.  I just read an article about Quinton Jefferson and yep, he said it.  The examples are numerous.

What’s my point?  This culture McD has developed is something else.  You could almost remove those last three letters, it seems so ingrained in all of the players.  It’s not lip service, they believe it.  It’s fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 7

culture - its a mindset based on attitude and bahavior

back in the day when HoF coach Joe Gibbs had the Washington football team formerly known as the Redskins on run deep into playoffs and Super Bowls for several years, he would personally award Sony walkmans to the top players of the week and the players extra-excited to get them, they could buy them of course and or had them already, but getting them from coach in front of the entire team was the key.

Extra point:  After a road game played late season Saturday in NE, Coach Gibbs on the way home from the airport took two game balls signed by the entire to a retired lon-time high school coach who was intensive care at a hospital and coach spent 10 mins with around mid-nite with him...all coach asked for was for access and 10 mins...cleared by hospital admin and coach asked to keep this private.

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, eball said:

We have heard McD say this over and over again when talking about what their goal is when players come to Buffalo.  He seems to say it now almost as much as “respect the process.”  But what I have noticed over the past several weeks is that in multiple interviews with players they have also brought this up.  I just read an article about Quinton Jefferson and yep, he said it.  The examples are numerous.

What’s my point?  This culture McD has developed is something else.  You could almost remove those last three letters, it seems so ingrained in all of the players.  It’s not lip service, they believe it.  It’s fun to watch.

It’s also catching on around the League. Recently, many players and coaches utter this in interviews -both on NFLN & SiriusXM.

Its a copycat League and Sean is a Lion!

Gotta amend ‘Playoff Caliber’ to Super Bowl Caliber!

• Like (+1) 2

McD is truly a leader. The DNA they discuss matters.

Many have stated that the Bills want ‘choir boys’. I don’t believe that’s true: they want intensely aggressive and intelligent men who want to improve and also keep their noses clean.

Culture is such a critical component of any group. 

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

McD is truly a leader. The DNA they discuss matters.

Many have stated that the Bills want ‘choir boys’. I don’t believe that’s true: they want intensely aggressive and intelligent men who want to improve and also keep their noses clean.

Culture is such a critical component of any group. 

It’s a balancing act for sure in a sport as violent as professional football. It’s that balance that causes fans to question The Process. Tip the scale too far in one direction and you get a team that won’t fight back when punched in the face. Tip it too far in the other direction and you have the Oakland Raiders. ?

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s also catching on around the League. Recently, many players and coaches utter this in interviews -both on NFLN & SiriusXM.

Its a copycat League and Sean is a Lion!

Gotta amend ‘Playoff Caliber’ to Super Bowl Caliber!

It's become a trite cliche these days.  

Image result for become the best version of yourself

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's become a trite cliche these days.  

Image result for become the best version of yourself

Perhaps, but I don't recall hearing it until McD starting preaching it, probably last season at some point.

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Perhaps, but I don't recall hearing it until McD starting preaching it, probably last season at some point.

Google that phrase and click “images” and you will see an infinite number of books, posters, podcast ads, memes, t shirts, Dr. Phil....etc——it’s pretty tired for a while now.  Countless preteens have already taken down those posters from their rooms no doubt...

These goofy new age catch phrases McD is fond of “preaching” are nice,  but there has to be a playoff win on the other side soon...

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Google that phrase and click “images” and you will see an infinite number of books, posters, podcast ads, memes, t shirts, Dr. Phil....etc——it’s pretty tired for a while now.  Countless preteens have already taken down those posters from their rooms no doubt...

These goofy new age catch phrases McD is fond of “preaching” are nice,  but there has to be a playoff win on the other side soon...

Thank you for your contributions. 

I bet you’re a riot at funerals..?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills should fire his ass for sure.  Sick of the playoff appearances and catch phrases.  What do we have to do to get back to the days of "it's hard to win football games" post-game quotes from Jauron...and damn it...give me another drought!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

25 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

yeah and so what if it’s not original, saying it versus living and cultivating it are drastically different 

Years ago I worked for a division of Westinghouse, and they had this internal message they kept pushing: "Do the right thing right the first time."

Or something trite like that.

I remember thinking, "Well, yeah, no schitt," but as it became the message pushed in meetings and throughout the next year or so, you could see people who were otherwise complacent in their jobs suddenly being held accountable by people who bought into that message. Soon the complacent ones either upped their work, or moved along, so you end up with more people with the same goal...and productivity ultimately went through the roof for our group.

Another phrase I heard a player repeat recently was the coaches wanting him to "be comfortable with being uncomfortable." They were working him at four different positions to challenge him, and that phrase really resonated with me. You need to constantly challenge yourself, no matter who you are, but this phrase really put it into perspective for an old dude like me.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s a balancing act for sure in a sport as violent as professional football. It’s that balance that causes fans to question The Process. Tip the scale too far in one direction and you get a team that won’t fight back when punched in the face. Tip it too far in the other direction and you have the Oakland Raiders. ?

I agree and I think it’s balanced well. Coming from the D side and wrestling, he clearly has aggressive tendencies. You can preach those while also teaching off the field those actions aren’t ok. Seems logical to me but I remember being young, too. ? 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Are you EVER happy? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1