“Become the best version of themselves...”

eball

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

McD is truly a leader. The DNA they discuss matters.

Many have stated that the Bills want ‘choir boys’. I don’t believe that’s true: they want intensely aggressive and intelligent men who want to improve and also keep their noses clean.

Culture is such a critical component of any group. 

McDermott wants young men who are all focused on the same goals.

It doesn't really matter what their background is, just be able to fall in line with everyone else as to having the same vision.

Pretty simple.

i'll take cheesy cliches for 500 Alex.  But seriously you need something that everyone can buy into and believe in together.   Just like going to the movies 

and what ever other stuff they do together, its all about the bonding and united focus.   Its not like the Marines change their mantras every year for new recruits,

no....the new recruits want to buy into it because to them that defines being part of the brotherhood of the Marines.   

25 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Are you EVER happy? :lol:

I prefer this:

Image result for justwin baby

Lol.  But seriously, does any of this visit-from-the-regional-manager canned motivational cliche spouting make you "happy"?  Does pointing out that the coach is retreading old internet memes to peddle to his players as fresh deep soul lifting motivators...make one "not happy"?   How unhappy were you before you heard  McD' s latest sloganeering that it has warmed your heart?  (kidding a bit, there).

Slogans, as we know, don't win championships--even different ones every year.  It reminds me of the movie Being There, where Chance the Gardener (later "Chauncey Gardiner"), a simpleton, utters completely innocuous phrases (about all he knows of: gardening) while all those around him, not knowing who he really is, fawn over his "down home" wisdom. 

"Just win, McD", then you can posterize any phrase that pops into your head....and we will hail you as a genius!

33 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

giphy.gif

Only when he gets to feast...right @Mr. WEO??

nom nom...

• Haha (+1) 1

McDermott's culture is real. He understands what is required to be a winning organisation and he wants to ensure every is fully committed to it. Little slogans are a symptom of the culture but they are not the cause and the people who see them as meaningless miss the point a bit. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott's culture is real. He understands what is required to be a winning organisation and he wants to ensure every is fully committed to it. Little slogans are a symptom of the culture but they are not the cause and the people who see them as meaningless miss the point a bit. 

I don't think people seem them as meaningless.  Cliche and Stuart Smalley-ish, perhaps.  But not meaningless.

I've always liked, "Do Your Job."

Edited by Gugny

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You're right.  

Some people ignore how important "team" is to success, and increasingly the best organizations in the world (not just football teams) are building team cultures.  Team cultures keep everyone on the team better focused on goals and more willing to cooperate to achieve the goal. 

I was in an amazing McDonald's yesterday.  It was lunch time, and they were busy.   There were eight or ten people working, a couple at the drive-through window, several in the back making sandwiches, a couple in front manning the registers, getting drinks, etc.  What was amazing was the speed at which they were working, and what was obvious was that they all were focused on the same goal - serving the customers, serving them quickly and accurately.   And they were working together, calling to each other about what they needed, with others responding that they had them covered.  I could see the satisfaction in their faces.  They knew they were killing it. 

I watched them maybe ten minutes, and they never stopped.  As I watched, I wondered how they got that way, and the answer was obvious - they had leadership who had sold them on the importance of service and on the fact that by working together they could deliver service better than by doing it separately.  While they worked, each was trying to be the best version of themselves as part of the team.  

McDermott's objective is to have an entire organization, and not just the players, humming like that McDonald's was humming.  So far, he seems to be succeeding.  

A

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To these guys they are pretty meaningless I bet.  The older guys have heard it all and the young guys spot "corny" from miles away.

It's hard to imagine he has cornered the market on getting his NFL players to be good teammates and work hard.   How many coaches are not doing this exact thing?  He's a very good coach.  This other stuff is for the masses to digest.  It's myth building.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Perhaps, but I don't recall hearing it until McD starting preaching it, probably last season at some point.

There's a poster and bumper sticker out there with every saying imaginable, no matter how obscure.

Edited by Doc

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

To these guys they are pretty meaningless I bet.  The older guys have heard it all and the young guys spot "corny" from miles away.

It's hard to imagine he has cornered the market on getting his NFL players to be good teammates and work hard.   How many coaches are not doing this exact thing?  He's a very good coach.  This other stuff is for the masses to digest.  It's myth building.

The phrases themselves.... sure. But they are the symptom of the culture. They are not the cause. McDermott has built an understanding of and a commitment to what it takes to win. And in an organisation that had not had either for a long time. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The phrases themselves.... sure. But they are the symptom of the culture. They are not the cause. McDermott has built an understanding of and a commitment to what it takes to win. And in an organisation that had not had either for a long time. 

There isn't anyone much left from that organization.  My point is that it is common approach to team building that is not unique.  But without results, it won't be remembered except as a bit of a goof.  The phrases are unnecessary to this culture.  

For instance, if the players actually did come out in public at some point saying "coach says it takes teamwork to make the dream work"...doesn't it become parody?  I know there are a ton of posters who would respond with "man, he is just KILLING it with this culture building now--that's next level!!" and more fawning threads will be birthed.  

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There isn't anyone much left from that organization.  My point is that it is common approach to team building that is not unique.  But without results, it won't be remembered except as a bit of a goof.  The phrases are unnecessary to this culture.  

For instance, if the players actually did come out in public at some point saying "coach says it takes teamwork to make the dream work"...doesn't it become parody?  I know there are a ton of posters who would respond with "man, he is just KILLING it with this culture building now--that's next level!!" and more fawning threads will be birthed.  

You're an odd dude.  It's as if you feel it's your obligation to tamp down any enthusiasm that doesn't fit your requirements.  Of course the phrase itself doesn't "do" anything, but I've never heard a HC talk that way before McD started doing it -- I don't care how many bumper stickers and motivational posters it was on, and I don't care if some other coach did use it before.  The culture of the Buffalo Bills organization was dogschitt at the end of 2016.  Look at where it is now -- players talking about wanting to come to Buffalo because "they'll become the best version of themselves."  You can poke fun and call it frilly words, but I think this sort of a dramatic shift that appears to be sustainable means something -- regardless of the phrases used.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, eball said:

You're an odd dude.  It's as if you feel it's your obligation to tamp down any enthusiasm that doesn't fit your requirements.  Of course the phrase itself doesn't "do" anything, but I've never heard a HC talk that way before McD started doing it -- I don't care how many bumper stickers and motivational posters it was on, and I don't care if some other coach did use it before.  The culture of the Buffalo Bills organization was dogschitt at the end of 2016.  Look at where it is now -- players talking about wanting to come to Buffalo because "they'll become the best version of themselves."  You can poke fun and call it frilly words, but I think this sort of a dramatic shift that appears to be sustainable means something -- regardless of the phrases used.

Spare me. 

Was it that long ago that posters on this very site were absolutely giddy about the "culture change" that Rex Ryan was going to bring to the Bills (still got your "Build a Bully" Tee-shirt?).   And that ended up as "dogschitt", because it didn't bring consistent winning.

And do I really believe you "have never heard a HC talk that way before McD started doing it"?  No, I don't because that's ridiculous.  Were you born after legendary sloganeer-par-excellence Marv Levy retired?  He was the motivational king.  At least his slogans were original.

I will leave you with some words from the master:

“Systems don't win, players do.”

“Our goal is to develop our team, to earn what we get, to learn, to develop unselfish attitudes. If we achieve that, the results is that we'll win.”

“All the buildup and hype, everything else, is foam. The game is the beer.”

“Great football coaches have the vision to see, the faith to believe, the courage to do - and 25 great players.”

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

"Do your job" is so original and inspiring, isn't it?  :rolleyes:

It doesn't look as good on a poster over your bed, doc, but you can't argue with the results....

Edited by Mr. WEO

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree that the phrases are not necessary for the culture. On that core point you are right. They are a result of it. The fact that the players repeat them in interviews is a symptom of the culture McDermott has built.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s also catching on around the League. Recently, many players and coaches utter this in interviews -both on NFLN & SiriusXM.

Its a copycat League and Sean is a Lion!

Gotta amend ‘Playoff Caliber’ to Super Bowl Caliber!

You need to be playoff-caliber to get to the super bowl

The second we made the playoffs he changed the sign to championship-caliber

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree that the phrases are not necessary for the culture. On that core point you are right. They are a result of it. The fact that the players repeat them in interviews is a symptom of the culture McDermott has built.

At this point in the year, he controls their professional and financial future.  They would read from Mein Kampf at the podium if he told them too.

That he can wrap that power in an Etsy needlepoint slogan is 4D chess, I guess.