“Become the best version of themselves...”

eball

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Successful coaches are doing this throughout the league and other sports.  It's all great.  Gives fans something to cling to until they can see the long awaited results.  I get that.

As far as "pandering to the press"  few modern coaches were as shameless and needy as Rex.  Yet we hear all of these stories about McD's motivational phrases because he tells us, or the Bills put it out there, or his players tell us.  It's meant for us to know, so we can buy in as well. The Bills aren't paying their PR people to just print programs.....

I agree with you that other coaches are doing it as well, he's not the only good coach out there who knows how to build a good culture. And no question that the Bills PR department is always trying to pump us up and give us a positive outlook on the team. And I think McDermott does want the fans to buy in too...he won't alter his course based on our opinions, but if you have the fans behind you, that is a tremendous help.

I'm just saying that with McDermott, the words don't seem like empty and baseless PR or just coach speak. I think he really believes the things he says and tries to enact them.

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I really wish he would come up with something a little more original and concise.  "Just Do It," has a nice ring.  Maybe he'll consider that in a couple years.

or something akin to Belichick's "just do your job"......simple and not a current catchphrase in today's self-help ethos

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No. He is just doing it better than most of his colleagues. 

To be determined 

29 minutes ago, folz said:

I agree with you that other coaches are doing it as well, he's not the only good coach out there who knows how to build a good culture. And no question that the Bills PR department is always trying to pump us up and give us a positive outlook on the team. And I think McDermott does want the fans to buy in too...he won't alter his course based on our opinions, but if you have the fans behind you, that is a tremendous help.

I'm just saying that with McDermott, the words don't seem like empty and baseless PR or just coach speak. I think he really believes the things he says and tries to enact them.

I don’t doubt he believes all that stuff

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Figured I knew...what?  That you say silly stuff?  That I know.  What I don't know is whether you do it because you're a masochist or because you really believe it? 

You, of all people,  know that I’m a sadist, not a masochist, doc.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

McDermott wants young men who are all focused on the same goals.

It doesn't really matter what their background is, just be able to fall in line with everyone else as to having the same vision.

Pretty simple.

I personally don’t think it’s ‘simple’. Getting an entire organization to march as one is no small feat. In addition, background makes it much harder to change an individual’s future. Again, buy in is required and is challenging to achieve depending on the personnel...thus they pick them carefully. 

Just my opinion and experience. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He's established himself as the best Bills HC in years.... considering what he was up against that isn't some incredible feat. As I've said, the standards were incredibly low that once McDermott accomplished that 9-7 season and playoff birth in 2017 fans thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Hes a good coach no doubt. His record against BB and winning teams in general is a concern going forward though. That has to change this year, IMO.

He's a good coach for sure.  It's time to reap  the results.  They should take at least a game off of NE this season. 

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

I personally don’t think it’s ‘simple’. Getting an entire organization to march as one is no small feat. In addition, background makes it much harder to change an individual’s future. Again, buy in is required and is challenging to achieve depending on the personnel...thus they pick them carefully. 

I can respect your opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Excellent.  This captures what is about.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

To be determined 

The job McDermott has done in his 3 years at the helm is among the top half dozen coaching performances in the league during that time. 

Again your position of "you either win or lose" is far too simplistic. Some coaches in the NFL inherited frameworks that made winning possible. McDermott inherited none of that. He has built one. If McDermott ends up being Marvin Lewis who has a playoff football team that he can't get over the hump then it still won't be fair to view him as a failure of a Head Coach. He has been a success in Buffalo simply through engineering that organisational turnaround. Culture change is real. And it is really freaking hard.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The job McDermott has done in his 3 years at the helm is among the top half dozen coaching performances in the league during that time. 

Again your position of "you either win or lose" is far too simplistic. Some coaches in the NFL inherited frameworks that made winning possible. McDermott inherited none of that. He has built one. If McDermott ends up being Marvin Lewis who has a playoff football team that he can't get over the hump then it still won't be fair to view him as a failure of a Head Coach. He has been a success in Buffalo simply through engineering that organisational turnaround. Culture change is real. And it is really freaking hard.

This.  There are few other HC's I'd take over him right now.

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He's established himself as the best Bills HC in years.... considering what he was up against that isn't some incredible feat. As I've said, the standards were incredibly low that once McDermott accomplished that 9-7 season and playoff birth in 2017 fans thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Hes a good coach no doubt. His record against BB and winning teams in general is a concern going forward though. That has to change this year, IMO.

I don't think it's fair to cite "record against winning teams in general" as a concern because last year the Bills had three "upset" wins -- at Tennessee, Dallas, and Pittsburgh -- and they really only had one "stinker" vs. the Eagles.  Every other loss was a one score game, which tells me McD did what he was supposed to do -- give his team a chance to win.

I think in the NFL the goal is to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and give yourself a chance against the teams you're supposed to lose to.  By that metric McD did an outstanding job last year.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone he hasn't beaten BB and the Pats*** yet but I certainly don't think it's because he was intimidated or doesn't know what to do...in all three years NE*** was the better team.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So Marvin Lewis was not a failure as a HC?  Of course he was.  He had the talent to regularly appear in the playoffs but he couldn't win those games.  If McD has the same career, how can you say he would not be considered a failure?  The essence of the season, of the game, is to advance in the playoffs.  Failing that, if all you did was "change the culture", what was the point?

McD has in the past 3 years, one more win than  Rex/Lynn/Marone had the previous 3.  If the Bills were to choke away another one and done playoff game  this year, you think everyone would be circling back to:  "but at least the culture is different"?  And the year after that?   I bet not, except for the handful of true believers (who thought the same of Rex, Marrone, etc).

15 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

or something akin to Belichick's "just do your job"......simple and not a current catchphrase in today's self-help ethos

Sarasota my southern neighbor, I kind of liked the Incomparable Rocky reference as the last one was on the other day.  He gave that speech to his son outside the restaurant, “It’s not how hard you can hit, it’s hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward, that’s how winning is done”.  I know it was corny, but I always liked that scene.  I workout a lot, but couldn’t believe how ripped he looked at age 60 in 2006.  Good thing he wasn’t drug tested. ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Dallas game was their best win of the year. 

As has been pointed out numerous times, Tennessee was a completely different team when we played them to what they were at seasons end and Pittsburgh against Duck Hodges is a joke. They were not a good team and I stand by that. 

I’m not one for moral victories. Losing to teams by one score is still a loss. It means absolutely nothing if you can’t finish the game with a victory. Bottom line is coach McD is a whopping 4-18 against winning and playoff teams throughout his 3 years here. That absolutely has to change and should this season. 

Do you disagree with my premise that the goal is to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and give yourself a chance in the other games?  How else should one look at it?  You and others say "they need to beat good teams" and it sounds sort of silly to me, because as the team gets better that's exactly what one would expect.  It's just odd that this is how you and others find a way to "criticize" McD.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

One should look at it as something is off when you are as poor as you are against the better teams in the league. 4-18 is awful. Talent absolutely played a part but that isn't an excuse anymore.

Hell even Marrone did a better job to this point against the better teams than McD. 

FFS how do you manage to take even the most positive thread and turn it into absolute garbage...

10 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't think it's fair to cite "record against winning teams in general" as a concern because last year the Bills had three "upset" wins -- at Tennessee, Dallas, and Pittsburgh -- and they really only had one "stinker" vs. the Eagles.  Every other loss was a one score game, which tells me McD did what he was supposed to do -- give his team a chance to win.

I think in the NFL the goal is to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and give yourself a chance against the teams you're supposed to lose to.  By that metric McD did an outstanding job last year.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone he hasn't beaten BB and the Pats*** yet but I certainly don't think it's because he was intimidated or doesn't know what to do...in all three years NE*** was the better team.

They lost to a 3-6 Browns team.  

The Steelers were down to their 3rd string QB.  

Tennessee was the Mariotta version, not the Tannehill one.

In the second NE game, then took a lead into the 4th Q, gave up 11 straight points, drove down to 1st and 8 on the NE 8 with 2:21 to go for the tying TD.  Bills call 4 straight pass plays.  They turn the ball over on downs with over a minute left on the clock.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

One should look at it as something is off when you are as poor as you are against the better teams in the league. 4-18 is awful. Talent absolutely played a part but that isn't an excuse anymore.

Hell even Marrone did a better job to this point against the better teams than McD. 

If you're comparing 2017-18 results -- with a subpar roster -- to 2019 and beyond, I don't think that's an accurate and honest evaluation.  By the way, they won 4 games against winning teams in 2017 and 2018 so I think your numbers are off.

Again -- you and others seem to be looking for reasons to critique McD rather than recognizing his accomplishments and the direction the team is headed.  We ALL know that the roster is now as complete as it has been since the late 90s and expectations are high.  Do you really think we need to hear "well they better start winning more games?"  How is that insightful?

36 minutes ago, TBBills said:

FFS how do you manage to take even the most positive thread and turn it into absolute garbage...

Its a special skill, I’ll bet he’s great at weddings and funerals too, ?