Who wins the kicking job and how do they simulate game pressure ?

Locomark

Will Bass win the job?

Even with a full TC, it was unlikely he beats out Haush-Money. Haushka was the ONE Bills star of the playoff game vs. Houston. Bass was *only* a 6th rounder - typically 4th round and before kickers are penciled in as starters. Haush has to really screw up in practice / the early games or be injured for Bass to make the 53 this season. And with players being harder to sign off the PS this season - Bass should be safe.

That said - there is a reason Bass was drafted -  the Bills do not have faith in Haush from beyond 50 yards - that was reflected in their play choices down the playoff game stretch. And Bass' forte is the long kicks - but has to show more consistency. If Bass consistently outkicks Haush, I dont think McD will hesitate to go with the rookie in games.

Bottomline: I think it is 80-20 that we go with Haushka to open the season. Next season is a completely different matter. Bass is cost controlled and has had a full year and Haush costs money - so it is 80-20 that Haush is let go next season.

How will the team simulate games / pressure in a way that they can comfortably decide to go with the rookie ?  

Coaches do that all the time - make the granting of teammates wishes' (like practice exemptions) depend on the outcome of the kicks - no worse feeling than letting your teammates down. And the Bills can always play Renegade loudly on their speakers.

Do they toss Bass on the practice squad ? 

Yes - see above.

If they pick Bass, do they try to keep Hauschka on the practice squad and protect him as insurance ? 

Haushka cannot go on the PS. It will be IR. Teams have previously delayed releasing vets by placing em on IR - though the league frowns upon this practice - any football player will have nicks. Belichick used that trick last season - he delayed releasing Josh Gordon by placing him on the IR. Players usually go along with the team's wishes though there have been a few vocal protests which the league has responded by fining the team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't underestimate how much this regime loves Hausch. Bass would have to unequivocally and undisputedly beat him out in every facet to win the job outright I think. With this staff I think ties go to Hausch. 

They claimed the kicker they had in camp halfway through the year last year but he went to the Colts with the waiver claim. He was going to be cut midseason least year.

The window to win is now. If they dont think Hauschka still has it, they will go with someone who they think can

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

They claimed the kicker they had in camp halfway through the year last year but he went to the Colts with the waiver claim. He was going to be cut midseason least year.

The window to win is now. If they dont think Hauschka still has it, they will go with someone who they think can

Yep. A guy they originally liked a lot but didn't take the risk to go with because..... they love Hausch. This regime will give ties to the vet kicker, I am convinced. If Bass clearly beats him out then that is different.... but if it is close they will side with experience, just as they did last year.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. Another guy they really liked and kept Hausch over initially last summer.

And immediately tried to claim when Hausch started missing his Kicks again.  Now they Drafted into the Position.  Bass will be given every opportunity to unseat Hausch, if not he will be one of the protected PS (unless he pukes all over himeself)

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So much love they tried to claim Chase McLaughlin

They also get to protect some too (I think it might be 4) so no on can ever claim them 

Absolutely, but it was discussed in another thread, they have to claim on Tuesday the designated four each week.  It’s not necessarily a dedicated same four for the season, but excellent point.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Absolutely, but it was discussed in another thread, they have to claim on Tuesday the designated four each week.  It’s not necessarily a dedicated same four for the season, but excellent point.

I thought so I also did hear about the rolling protection.  If the Bills put there protected Kicker on the PS they will protect him each week I would think with the kicking problem in the league (with expanded rosters they might just roll with 2) Hausch short FGs, Bass Long FGs and KO, until Bass ready to handle all of it.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Hauschka wins the job but Bass is staying around one way or another.   I think its most likely on the practice squad

I think Bass is snatched up immediately if they put him on the PS.  If he is horrible in camp they may try that, but if he kicks well he'll make the 53.  Teams are desperate for big-legged kickers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Bass is snatched up immediately if they put him on the PS.  If he is horrible in camp they may try that, but if he kicks well he'll make the 53.  Teams are desperate for big-legged kickers.

Expanded Rosters might mean they keep both

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills may have three kickers.

I would opt out of Hauschka and his expensive contract plus his leg he cant get it out of the end zone.

Go with Bass and the Norwegian Kaare Vedvik.  Vedvik has an incredibly strong leg, he can easily get the ball thru the end zone on kickoffs.  Also he punts the ball very well.  I would go with Bass, Vedvek and Bojorquez.  If Bass cant handle the pressure, Vedvik can try and fill in, Vedvik was very good through pre-season last year but last game missed 3 or 4.  He went to he jets where he missed everything but has demonstrated in the past (pre-season with Ravens) he can kick.  So  I would roll the dice with the untested rookie and Bass and Vedvik can easily replace Bojorquez punting.  Two kickers and two punters (effectively) in 3 may be the way to go with this bizarre covid year.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't underestimate how much this regime loves Hausch. Bass would have to unequivocally and undisputedly beat him out in every facet to win the job outright I think. With this staff I think ties go to Hausch. 

That the Bills burned a 6th on Bass understandably allows one to underestimate the Haush love. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Will Bass win the job?

Even with a full TC, it was unlikely he beats out Haush-Money. Haushka was the ONE Bills star of the playoff game vs. Houston. Bass was *only* a 6th rounder - typically 4th round and before kickers are penciled in as starters. Haush has to really screw up in practice / the early games or be injured for Bass to make the 53 this season. And with players being harder to sign off the PS this season - Bass should be safe.

That said - there is a reason Bass was drafted -  the Bills do not have faith in Haush from beyond 50 yards - that was reflected in their play choices down the playoff game stretch. And Bass' forte is the long kicks - but has to show more consistency. If Bass consistently outkicks Haush, I dont think McD will hesitate to go with the rookie in games.

Bottomline: I think it is 80-20 that we go with Haushka to open the season. Next season is a completely different matter. Bass is cost controlled and has had a full year and Haush costs money - so it is 80-20 that Haush is let go next season.

How will the team simulate games / pressure in a way that they can comfortably decide to go with the rookie ?  

Coaches do that all the time - make the granting of teammates wishes' (like practice exemptions) depend on the outcome of the kicks - no worse feeling than letting your teammates down. And the Bills can always play Renegade loudly on their speakers.

Do they toss Bass on the practice squad ? 

Yes - see above.

If they pick Bass, do they try to keep Hauschka on the practice squad and protect him as insurance ? 

Haushka cannot go on the PS. It will be IR. Teams have previously delayed releasing vets by placing em on IR - though the league frowns upon this practice - any football player will have nicks. Belichick used that trick last season - he delayed releasing Josh Gordon by placing him on the IR. Players usually go along with the team's wishes though there have been a few vocal protests which the league has responded by fining the team.

Bass is likely too good to stash on the practice squad unfortunately. It’s better to get rid of a kicker a year too soon rather than a year too late. It’s a good year to roll with a rookie kicker, the environments won’t be very hostile this year. If it’s even close they keep Bass especially with the cap saving that we will need next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. A guy they originally liked a lot but didn't take the risk to go with because..... they love Hausch. This regime will give ties to the vet kicker, I am convinced. If Bass clearly beats him out then that is different.... but if it is close they will side with experience, just as they did last year.

Maybe with Mcdermott's new found sense of job security, he may be more willing to take a risk on a rookie kicker with a huge leg

I actually think the potential of no fans or a lot less can greatly help a rookie kicker especially one that didn’t play for a college that plays in front of 70k+ fans.  Not saying Bass beats out Hauschka but the uniqueness of this season probably helps Bass.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

I admit I am not entirely read up on special exemptions with roster limits. However, I could see both kickers on the active roster, especially if the exemptions make it easier in one way or another. Just examples of things IDK if they are real ?  (either by Protected players outside of the traditional 53, expanded game day dress out rosters, or whatever the case might be)

• Like (+1) 1

I think Hauschka starts the season just because there is really no game simulation to see Bass.  But If Bass performs well out in camp (we might not get much indication with the lack of media) I wouldn't be surprised if Hauschka was cut. I don't think it will happen but I bet we find ways to keep both. 

As much as he was clutch in Houston, Hauschka numbers have dropped since 2017. He was 1-5 from 50 and beyond. . His range is maxed out. This is a detriment to  our strategy

by now having to either to choose to punt or go for it. Hopefully we will be scoring a crap load of points or moving the ball well enough to keep us out of Long Field goals this season.