Who wins the kicking job and how do they simulate game pressure ?

Locomark

George, there is always a risk losing someone on a Monday or all week if unprotected, but there are only 53 spots, they need a minimum of two QB’s, a LS, P, and a kicker.  Placing another kicker on the active 53 steals from other position groups.  I was surprised when I think it was Marrone who kept one for FG’s and extra points, and one for kickoffs.  Almost no teams do that.  I just don’t see it, but then again Beane and McD don’t have my digits on speed dial.

26 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

George, there is always a risk losing someone on a Monday or all week if unprotected, but there are only 53 spots, they need a minimum of two QB’s, a LS, P, and a kicker.  Placing another kicker on the active 53 steals from other position groups.  I was surprised when I think it was Marrone who kept one for FG’s and extra points, and one for kickoffs.  Almost no teams do that.  I just don’t see it, but then again Beane and McD don’t have my digits on speed dial.

I’m not George but I’ll answer.  Drafting a kicker is unusual; this was a clear sign the Bills aren’t committed to Hauschka and see something special in Bass.  If the lack of preseason games means they can’t really “pressure” Bass but he otherwise kicks well in camp, he will make the team because if he is put on the PS he will be poached by another K-desperate team.  If he is truly “lights out” in camp I think they let Hauschka go despite the risk of going with an inexperienced guy.

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/13/2020 at 1:30 AM, Locomark said:

Will Bass win the job?

How will the team simulate games / pressure in a way that they can comfortably decide to go with the rookie ?  

Do they toss Bass on the practice squad ? 

If they pick Bass, do they try to keep Hauschka on the practice squad and protect him as insurance ? 

Hauschka may keep it but if he does Tyler will be an untouchable on the squad. 

On 8/13/2020 at 8:53 AM, MAJBobby said:

I thought so I also did hear about the rolling protection.  If the Bills put there protected Kicker on the PS they will protect him each week I would think with the kicking problem in the league (with expanded rosters they might just roll with 2) Hausch short FGs, Bass Long FGs and KO, until Bass ready to handle all of it.

The "protected 4" will be named each Tuesday. Still have to waive your guys before signing them to the PS 

On 8/13/2020 at 9:01 AM, MAJBobby said:

Expanded Rosters might mean they keep both

Expanded? It is still 53. PS is now 15? Bills would get the exemption for Wade,so,16 on their PS

On 8/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, Maybe Someday said:

As many have said this will be a unique season. I think they keep both to protect against covid and also to protect their investment. Bass may not be better than Haush now but I think there is at least 1 team that would claim him if they could so we need to protect him on the 53. 

They cannot protect Bass on the practice squad 100% of the time. Those 4 protected spots are designated each week, they are not permanent. There is a roughly 36 hour window each week that any PS player could be claimed. 

Also didn't that kicker we tried to claim last year start the season on our PS? I know we had him in camp. Might have been a lesson learned. 

Thank you! Many still confused by the new rules. Only way Bills are guaranteed to keep Bass is to put him in the 53. I do t see them keeping TWO kickers. Also,the cap situation and pending contract extensions, might motivate the Bills to cut some veterans; perhaps including Hauschka 

On 8/13/2020 at 10:54 AM, letsgoteam said:

I admit I am not entirely read up on special exemptions with roster limits. However, I could see both kickers on the active roster, especially if the exemptions make it easier in one way or another. Just examples of things IDK if they are real ?  (either by Protected players outside of the traditional 53, expanded game day dress out rosters, or whatever the case might be)

NFL expanded game day roster (46 to 48?). Still have 53 man active roster. Practice Squad expanded to 15 I believe,with Bills getting an additional, exempt spot for Wade. Teams will be able to sign up to 6 vets to PS, and protect 4 PS players each week(On Tuesday) ,but those 4 can still be poached up to that point

The only other thing I'll add to this discussion is about Hauschka.  I've loved what this guy has brought to the team, and there's no doubt he has made a ton of clutch kicks and was crucial in the playoff game, although his inability hit the long ones any more certainly impacted playcalling.  He's no dummy; like every player on the roster he understands you have to earn it each day.  We'll see what he brings to camp over the next several weeks, and I am by no means ruling him out to retain a spot as the "short" FG kicker.

2 hours ago, Georgie said:

Thank you! Many still confused by the new rules. Only way Bills are guaranteed to keep Bass is to put him in the 53. I do t see them keeping TWO kickers. Also,the cap situation and pending contract extensions, might motivate the Bills to cut some veterans; perhaps including Hauschka 

Normally I would agree on the 2 kickers but I just can't see Bass winning the job outright without ever kicking in a live NFL game situation. That's a huge risk for a championship caliber team. Remember what happened to the Bears rookie kicker a year or 2 ago? Total meltdown. 

That plus covid might make keeping 2 kickers, at least to start the season, a good idea. Let Bass prove he belongs first, we can always cut Haus mid season. Maybe that other punter Vevi somthing or another wins the punting job since he can kick in a covid pinch. 

On 8/13/2020 at 12:22 AM, GunnerBill said:

Hausch is a heavy favourite to win the job IMO. Huge risk to go with a rookie who has never kicked even in a pre-season game and start putting your fate in his hands. Hausch remains almost automatic from inside 50 so you just don't ask him to try anything longer. 

However, I think there is a very good chance given the situation that they keep both on the 53. 

This is the one. I believe Hauschka keeps the job, but they find a spot for Bass on the 53. I believe they know they can't cut him and realistically expect him to clear waivers.

So all of the folks who get really angry when teams carry two kickers....get ready. It's happening. ?

• Like (+1) 2