Who wins the kicking job and how do they simulate game pressure ?

Locomark

1 hour ago, Doc said:

As long as Bass is able to make about as many FGs as Hauschka, he'll win the job.  They didn't spend a draft pick on him for nothing.

So Doc, don’t you think Bass has to outright out perform H in practice to win this thing? We know Bass has a bigger leg but I think a tie goes to Hauschka 100% of the time just because he is a known commodity and we can stuff Bass on the practice squad. The question is what are the odds that Bass comes in and truly outperforms Hauschka in practice daily? This is why I hate having no eyes on practice. 

Edited by Locomark

3 minutes ago, Locomark said:

So Doc, don’t you think Bass has to outright out perform H in practice to win this thing? We know Bass has a bigger leg but I think a tie goes to Hauschka 100% of the time just because he is a known commodity and we can stuff Bass on the practice squad. The question is what are the odds that Bass comes in and truly outperforms Hauschka in practice daily? This is why I hate having no eyes on practice. 

Seeing as Hauschka can't kick past 50 anymore then that's the reason he should lose if they tie. His leg clearly has lost power.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Bass has to be lights out to beat out the vet. Hausch may have played poorly in some games last season and very well cost us the Browns game but he was money in the playoff game in Houston.

With team the Bills have built for 2020 they can't afford to take a chance on a rookie kicker!

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

1 hour ago, LB48 said:

With team the Bills have built for 2020 they can't afford to take a chance on a rookie kicker!

Then why draft him?  If he's got no shot to unseat Hauschka, why waste a draft pick?  IMHO he's staying, unless he proves to be a disaster.  Now they could keep him along with Hauschka, but I believe that if it's even or Bass is better, he only stays.

10 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I don't know for sure it just seemed like he lost a lot of distance on his kicks McD didn't trust him on the longer kicks.

I like Hausch because he’s been an important part of this team and their success. I appreciate what he’s done with them, but it’s time to part imo. It’s a prerequisite that an NFL kicker must be able to kick 50+ field goals. We are losing a lot having a guy you don’t trust from that range. We also have an offense who has yet to get in the end zone on a regular basis, and field goals remain a big part of our scoring. We were stuck in that 50+ field goal no mans land many times last season, being forced to punt or just go for it on forth down. Rookie kickers can be an adventure, and Hausch has been good percentage wise. However, Hausch’s good percentage doesn’t account for all the times we pass on the opportunity to kick past 50 yards. Bass could be just as effective with a slightly lower field goal percentage, simply based on the additional long field goals he could make. Those kicks don’t count for a miss with Hausch because they never happen, but we’re still giving up possession when most kickers get on the field for a 54 yard kick. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2

As many have said this will be a unique season. I think they keep both to protect against covid and also to protect their investment. Bass may not be better than Haush now but I think there is at least 1 team that would claim him if they could so we need to protect him on the 53. 

They cannot protect Bass on the practice squad 100% of the time. Those 4 protected spots are designated each week, they are not permanent. There is a roughly 36 hour window each week that any PS player could be claimed. 

Also didn't that kicker we tried to claim last year start the season on our PS? I know we had him in camp. Might have been a lesson learned. 

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I like Hausch because he’s been an important part of this team and their success. I appreciate what he’s done with them, but it’s time to part imo. It’s a prerequisite that an NFL kicker must be able to kick 50+ field goals. We are losing a lot having a guy you don’t trust from that range. We also have an offense who has yet to get in the end zone on a regular basis, and field goals remain a big part of our scoring. We were stuck in that 50+ field goal no mans land many times last season, being forced to punt or just go for it on forth down. Rookie kickers can be an adventure, and Hausch has been good percentage wise. However, Hausch’s good percentage doesn’t account for all the times we pass on the opportunity to kick past 50 yards. Bass could be just as effective with a slightly lower field goal percentage, simply based on the additional long field goals he could make. Those kicks don’t count for a miss with Hausch because they never happen, but we’re still giving up possession when most kickers get on the field for a 54 yard kick. 

I don't think you're always going to kick a 50+ yarder.  But if its 3 seconds before halftime and we're on the 35 yard line, he's probably going to miss it.  Less than 50% over 2 seasons and was 1/5 in 2019.  

21st in FG accuracy, 18th in XPs, 26th in TB%, and better than like 4 guys at 50+ because they didn't make any of them.  

I'm at least giving the kid a chance.  

25 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

As many have said this will be a unique season. I think they keep both to protect against covid and also to protect their investment. Bass may not be better than Haush now but I think there is at least 1 team that would claim him if they could so we need to protect him on the 53. 

They cannot protect Bass on the practice squad 100% of the time. Those 4 protected spots are designated each week, they are not permanent. There is a roughly 36 hour window each week that any PS player could be claimed. 

Also didn't that kicker we tried to claim last year start the season on our PS? I know we had him in camp. Might have been a lesson learned. 

Honestly i wonder how much having no/reduced fans at games will help kickers.  Pressure is the same, but you aren't in like this crazy loud stadium of people trying to get you to miss.

• Like (+1) 1

If Hauschka doesn't have the leg to hit from over 50 anymore, I don't even think there is a real competition...you can't be at that big of a disadvantage to other teams around the NFL as that puts you in...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Anderson was a disaster.  Apparently intentionally.

Yeah, one of the great deliberate choke jobs of all-time. If he'd have done that in the age of social media he would have been roasted and blackballed from the league.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

See: Anderson, Gary

See: 1982, Anderson, Gary wouldn't even have been picked if the draft was only six rounds long as it is today.

Not to mention he was absolutely horrible in the pre-season which led to him

being cut.

Edited by Beast

31 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yeah, one of the great deliberate choke jobs of all-time. If he'd have done that in teh age of social media he would have been roasted and blackballed from the league.

And karma payed him back. No Super Bowls and he choked in the NFC Championship game in 98. Maybe the football "gods" (notice the little 'g' since having the 2nd Commandment in mind ?) would have been more kind and G.A makes the kick against the Giants if he stayed on and with the Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Beast said:

See: 1982, Anderson, Gary wouldn't even have been picked if the draft was only six rounds long as it is today.

Not to mention he was absolutely horrible in the pre-season which led to him

being cut.

You have to go read his story. He didn't want to play for the Bills and deliberately missed every FG he attemped in preseason, until they had no choice to cut him. He then went on to have the second most FGs made and points scored in NFL history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

PK is nothing like QB. All you have to do is kick the ball a few times a game. Experience isn't an issue. Bass faced enough high and low pressure situations in college for them to judge well enough and he'll be kicking every day in camp. I'm not concerned.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:16 AM, machine gun kelly said:

One makes the team, and one will end up on the PS.  Bass may get it.  One piece of good news for Bass’s chance is there won’t be fans in the stands so that makes it easier for kickers to get it through the uprights.  The coaches will figure it out in camp.

Players don't automatically move to the Pratice Squad: have to be waived and another team can  sign them.  If Bass is any good,will Bills risk losing him?

On 8/13/2020 at 8:40 AM, MAJBobby said:

To start the season.

Hausch 

Bass on the Protected PS

By End of season Bass - It is always a bad sign for a Kicker when your team DRAFTs a Kicker.

the 4 "Protected" spots don't mean you can just move a guy to the PS. Each Tuesday,a team can protect 4 players that are on on PS,so they can't be poached by another team. The PS players are still vulnerable fora day or so