Black Lives Matter Messaging at "The Stadium"

SectionC3

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

It's hard for fathers to be included when black men get 10-20 yrs for 15$ worth of crack and a white man gets probation for an oz. of coke(I've seen it done). Black men and men of color in general don't get the benefit from the legal system unless they have a ton of $ for attorney fees(OJ). That leads to too many men of color in prison and not at home. It's systematic. It sucks that I feel lucky to be a light skinned Puerto Rican vs family members who are as dark as night. 

Just my thoughts on the bold part of your post.

Were they both first-time offenses?

Was one ahabitual offender and the other not. Was one a felon?

Those are all questions that have a lot to do with the outcome

for some reason I doubt that they both had the exact same criminal backgrounds and got those outcomes

I've seen white people arrested for a half a gram of marijuana and put in jail for probation violation which they were on for having couple zips of weed

second marijuana offense ever in their life and it's half a gram and they actually went to prison for a stint. Because.... Judges

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Were they both first-time offenses?

Was one ahabitual offender and the other not. Was one a felon?

Those are all questions that have a lot to do with the outcome

for some reason I doubt that they both had the exact same criminal backgrounds and got those outcomes

My uncle had a DUI on his record. That's it. He had gone through all the requirements to get his drivers license back. Judge said "you are ruining people's lives with this crap". He wasn't selling, he was a user. He was hurting his family, no doubt, but he was treated like a dealer who is was selling tons of drugs. Never sold in his life, just a user. He got out 12 years ago and is doing ok. Hard for a felon to find work, but he's not too proud to work as a janitor.

Don't know the other guys record though. Fair point.

But probation for an oz of coke, not weed. Seems light to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

My uncle had a DUI on his record. That's it. He had gone through all the requirements to get his drivers license back. Judge said "you are ruining people's lives with this crap". He wasn't selling, he was a user. He was hurting his family, no doubt, but he was treated like a dealer who is was selling tons of drugs. Never sold in his life, just a user. He got out 12 years ago and is doing ok. Hard for a felon to find work, but he's not too proud to work as a janitor.

Don't know the other guys record though. Fair point.

But probation for an oz of coke, not weed. Seems light to me. 

He should be proud that he turned his life around 

And I'm sorry he went through that.

And of course being a user he only probably hurt himself or his family. Which is why long punishments like that are terrible

They need rehabilitation and help

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

It's hard for fathers to be included when black men get 10-20 yrs for 15$ worth of crack and a white man gets probation for an oz. of coke(I've seen it done). Black men and men of color in general don't get the benefit from the legal system unless they have a ton of $ for attorney fees(OJ). That leads to too many men of color in prison and not at home. It's systematic. It sucks that I feel lucky to be a light skinned Puerto Rican vs family members who are as dark as night. 

If you haven’t seen it already, I highly recommend seeing ‘13th’, a documentary about the inequities in our penal system. Very enlightening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wow “the city of good neighbors” just doesn’t quite earn its nickname in this thread. There is a politics section so hey mods isn’t there some way next time to find a way to steer this whole thing there ! This isn’t a football discussion.

This country is totally divided so can’t we at least acknowledge it and keep the Bills fans away from these topics in the football discussion pages ? I can rant about my political views to my 20K Twitter followers if I want to feel heard about that....I come to TBD to talk football. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Wow “the city of good neighbors” just doesn’t quite earn its nickname in this thread. There is a politics section so hey mods isn’t there some way next time to find a way to steer this whole thing there ! This isn’t a football discussion.

This country is totally divided so can’t we at least acknowledge it and keep the Bills fans away from these topics in the football discussion pages ? I can rant about my political views to my 20K Twitter followers if I want to feel heard about that....I come to TBD to talk football. 

95% of the board doesn't live in Buffalo

So I wouldn't lump people here into buffalonians

Edited by Buffalo716

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

You are 100% correct- it is a proven fact blacks are penalized harder than whites, no question...

So then I think back to a quote from Denzel Washington, while he was being interviewed for the movie, Fences...he basically said: we all know the system is rigged, so let’s not make easier for the system. (Essentually, if the black man didn’t have the crack on him to begin with, getting more time than a white man wouldn’t even be an issue.)

The point being, even though life isn’t always fair, it still, usually comes down to OUR OWN decisions. ?

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, klos63 said:

just because trump ,barr and the police say it's antifa, doesn't mean it's true.  Lot of lies from those 3.

That's how you interpret that statement from BLM website, quite a reach , wouldn't you say.

I don’t know why you think I’m getting my information from those people. That seems like quite a jump to me, but then again I don’t readily watch the 24/7 news cycle. It’s all about sensationalism. You know what happens when you assume right? 

I don’t need the 24/7 news cycle to tell me what I’m reading in my advanced degree studies, or what I’m seeing in the streets. Maybe you do? 

13 hours ago, klos63 said:

just because trump ,barr and the police say it's antifa, doesn't mean it's true.  Lot of lies from those 3.

That's how you interpret that statement from BLM website, quite a reach , wouldn't you say.

Their whole platform is based in intersectionalism, critical race theory, and Marxist ideologies. I’ve studied this nonsense and it’s only a reach to the uninitiated. Those who listen to black lives matter and agree with it (for good reasons) are looking at it literally, I would agree with them. They don’t understand what BLM actually stands for. So I’ll continue to battle the narrative. Yes, Black Lives DO MATTER and I’ll affirm that!  At the same time, the movement is absolutely destructive to the core. If we don’t wake up, we will soon not recognize this country.

At the heart of the matter is the premise that black lives are killed disproportionately compared to others in the world. Say I gave you that premise as true. Here’s a question for you, how many people total have been killed by officers last year (this number is consistent for decades)? 

Edited by HamSandwhich

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Has there ever been a former Bills player to hold political office outside of Jack Kemp? I had heard at one time Thurman & Kelly were contemplating politics to follow in Kemp’s footsteps. 

Ed Rutkowski was the Erie County Executive decades ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I don’t know why you think I’m getting my information from those people. That seems like quite a jump to me, but then again I don’t readily watch the 24/7 news cycle. It’s all about sensationalism. You know what happens when you assume right? 

I don’t need the 24/7 news cycle to tell me what I’m reading in my advanced degree studies, or what I’m seeing in the streets. Maybe you do? 

Their whole platform is based in intersectionalism, critical race theory, and Marxist ideologies. I’ve studied this nonsense and it’s only a reach to the uninitiated. Those who listen to black lives matter and agree with it (for good reasons) are looking at it literally, I would agree with them. They don’t understand what BLM actually stands for. So I’ll continue to battle the narrative. Yes, Black Lives DO MATTER and I’ll affirm that!  At the same time, the movement is absolutely destructive to the core. If we don’t wake up, we will soon not recognize this country.

At the heart of the matter is the premise that black lives are killed disproportionately compared to others in the world. Say I have you that premise as true. Here’s a question for you, how many people total have been killed by officers last year (this number is consistent for decades). 

People are trying to improve systemic problems. No need to hammer them with a Marxist website. There might be a reason to wish them well. I agree there are not that many killings. 

15 hours ago, MJS said:

You are fully within your rights to believe in those things and so is BLM. But most people don't realize that is part of the goal.

A lot of people don't want prisons and police to be abolished. They don't want a dramatic redistribution of wealth. And they don't think drugs and prostitution should be legal. They may believe in the importance of the traditional family. So they should be informed that such things are part of the BLM agenda before they get on the bandwagon. If their objective is to focus on black lives and ending racism they should look to another organization.

And who said that? Nobody. You can believe families are important and also supports black people. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Taking everything to the extreme is not a good argument against social justice. We can show the way by example. We can still have police and prisons but they can be operated more justly. 

33 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

said what? what is your point? 

Point is, I’ve seen a lot of information saying their website says they’re Marxists and the want to destroy the nuclear family concept yet I can’t find a word about any of that on the BLM website. 

13 minutes ago, swimtoga said:

Point is, I’ve seen a lot of information saying their website says they’re Marxists and the want to destroy the nuclear family concept yet I can’t find a word about any of that on the BLM website. 

In other words we should not even pay lip service to social justice because BLM is a dangerous threat. Keep in mind that Bernie Sanders became popular because the Democratic party became too cozy with business interests. We have people losing their minds over the NFL giving a nod and a wink to BLM out of respect for 70% of their members. Maybe the NFL needs some new fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I don't support the black lives matter message because it is a communist cause.  I support All Lives Matter and we are equal in the the eyes of GOD.

Thank you! Any slogan that singles out a particular race, creed or religion will be doomed from the start. Really bad messaging! BLM is something you say to your friends. It’s not something you call your organization. Madison Avenue knows this.

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

You are 100% correct- it is a proven fact blacks are penalized harder than whites, no question...

So then I think back to a quote from Denzel Washington, while he was being interviewed for the movie, Fences...he basically said: we all know the system is rigged, so let’s not make easier for the system. (Essentually, if the black man didn’t have the crack on him to begin with, getting more time than a white man wouldn’t even be an issue.)

The point being, even though life isn’t always fair, it still, usually comes down to OUR OWN decisions. ?

Did you really give yourself a thumbs up!?

I love Denzel, but he grew up with with both parents in the household. He was lucky to have a dad in his life til the age of 14. He also was sent to a military school after his parents divorced. Quote from Wikipedia (I know, I know, Wikipedia) 

Washington later said, "That decision changed my life, because I wouldn't have survived in the direction I was going. The guys I was hanging out with at the time, my running buddies, have now done maybe 40 years combined in the penitentiary. They were nice guys, but the streets got them."

He had structure in his life. He had it made compared to the folks I'm talking about in my initial post. He makes a valid point, but had hope growing up in his situation while others felt helpless without that kind of life as a kid. Maybe you should hear from someone who grew up in the ghetto without a father and the feeling of being helpless. Point being, I don't think he can speak to the situation as well as someone who didn't have both parents guiding him. ?

It had been suggested that 26 million people have walked in protests so far. Based on my personal observations, that’s real. I would suggest that the regular giant crowds of ordinary people walking and protesting in agreement shows that there is belief in the citizenry that there is systemic racism in this country. It is overblown in the media, maybe. However it has more everyday Americans mobilized than anything I have ever seen in my lifetime. A lot of this thread have been about personal views and random websites but to disregard what is happening in huge volumes out there is to ignore society. Whether BLM plastered all over the stadium is an effective way to solve this doesn’t matter. What matters is that people have had enough of our country sweeping this under the rug. They will always be 2 parties and therefore disagreement. 

For those who say they aren’t watching the NFL because of kneeling,  good riddance. You wear their jerseys and your kids run plays in the back yard wanting to be them but suddenly they are bad because some draft dodging rich guy says they are. That’s the truly disgusting part IMO. There is only 1 person forcing this as an issue in this country and the reason isn’t even patriotism. It’s a  sad desperate man who hates the NFL because he isn’t part of the owners club and always treats his past competitors like enemies and who happens to love McMahon and the XFL. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thank you! Any slogan that singles out a particular race, creed or religion will be doomed from the start. Really bad messaging! BLM is something you say to your friends. It’s not something you call your organization. Madison Avenue knows this.

That’s because my 20 year white son getting pulled over routinely isn’t something I have to worry about. If I were black, I would worry about it every day and I would have to give my kids a whole group of “extreme safety” rules in dealing with the police. I have friends who sadly do this on a regular basis because income and education doesn’t wash away skin color. Their kids have been treated differently already. Obviously you don’t have many friends of color or you would get it very easily. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, I-town Bills said:

In other words we should not even pay lip service to social justice because BLM is a dangerous threat. Keep in mind that Bernie Sanders became popular because the Democratic party became too cozy with business interests. We have people losing their minds over the NFL giving a nod and a wink to BLM out of respect for 70% of their members. Maybe the NFL needs some new fans. 

For real.  Oh no. Racist fans are going to quit watching because players are pieces of meat to them and they don’t care about what they and their families have to go through.  

it’s hilarious that in a league that has domestic violence, murderers, scum like Richie Incognito (who a lot of those fans threatening to quit probably love), the thing that gets some people the most angry is silent protesting for racial equality.  What does that say about you?